Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010+ roush intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Default 2010+ roush intake

hey guys - from a stand point of someone who wants to hang on to their warranty, and is more interested in the audible difference over performance gains, would you say the roush intake is a good product?

it looks like a simple MAF housing, cone filter and heat shield. that's all I really expect from it. I am hoping it doesn't change a/f ratio enough to be of any bother when it comes to warranty based claims?

any owners want to chime in with the audible difference? I don't want it obnoxiously loud, but I love the sound of a cone filter sucking in some air.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:56 PM
uin2it
3rd Gear Member

curious myself... most people will be quick to recommend the JLT/AirRaid etc.
And say that the ROUSH intake is pointless....but like you I am interested in warranty, and for those who are not real familiar with the roush parts; most dealerships WILL in Fact warranty them if they are installed by the dealer ( Much like the FRPP kts)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 AM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

I've installed the Roush on my 2010 GT. Was a very simple install, looks great and did not cause any problems with MAF sensor or throwing codes. Definitely sounds better and looks better. Coupled with an ugrgade to a Corsa exhaust, ther is a very slight performance increase, but nothing like you would get with tune and larger CAI. I also did not want to give any excuses to my dealership regarding warranty. I'm happy with the look and sound, but it did cost $$$ for that.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Airaid is actually the company that makes the Roush CAI, just more expensive due to the Roush name. I have the Airaid CAI on my Sixxer and did NOT experience any code or sensor issues, before installing my custom tunes. The installation was very simple and the instructions were easy to follow.
Honestly, the performance gain is minimal, maybe (5-7) HP increase in the upper RPM range. The HP gain maybe a bit higher for a GT, but not sure? The performace gain mostly comes from my custom Brenspeed tunes! If you purchase the Roush CAI w/out a custom tune, do not expect a huge performance difference.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I had the same question. A few days ago. I may just end up putting a drop-in K&N filter in the airbox.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sbradle4
I had the same question. A few days ago. I may just end up putting a drop-in K&N filter in the airbox.
Drop in K&N filters do not provide any performance gain and are not worth the money either. I've read that the stock airbox's on the 2010+ are more efficient than the 05 - 09 models. With that said, if you are interested in adding performance, I highly recommend getting the SCT tuner with 3 custom tunes from either American Muscle or Brenspeed. =-)
Old 01-11-2012, 02:26 PM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

any CAI that doesn't require a tune is worthless, IMHO. you won't feel any gain. I did it to my '10 and felt no improvement.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

Does a CAI really make a sound difference compared to stock?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wil
For 2010+, not sure. For 07 such as mine, yes.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wil
I've thrown intakes on 4 different cars and they've always produced an awesome sound.

my favorite was on a v6 accord that didn't have a MAF sensor - no air path to appease, there was a aem system that made the air 'vortex' through the pipe and it sounded awesome as hell.

for my 350z and my camaro, it made a great sound too, but it was a lot more subtle.

on my WRX, it was alarmingly louder, you could really hear the turbo and BPV and it was just loud the moment you put the gas down.

I suspect the stang's intake will be a subtle change more along the lines of the Z/camaro ones I did. essentially you're just moving from a panel filter to a cone filter, the cones sound a bit different. t'd be interesting to hear from some owners of this system, though.

re: gains, I am aware there are none to be had here without a tune.

Quick Reply: 2010+ roush intake