Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Lug Nut Broke Apart!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Silver_Stang_05
1st Gear Member

Default Locking Lug Nut Broke Apart!

I was putting my wheels back on after painting the calipers and the locking nut broke apart on the inside. No big deal, just run to Ford and buy a new set. Wrong! The pattern changed! It's the exact same part number, but different pattern. Assuming it's because the set is from 05. How should I get the old ones off to replace with new ones. I don't want to put vice grips on them and have a slip and put a big gash in a rim. Anyone else ever have this issue?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:51 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Most shops will pound a smaller socket on it and remove it that way.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Silver_Stang_05
1st Gear Member

How would you get the socket of the lug after that though? Vice and pound it off maybe?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Well I recently just stripped a lug nut due to a shop over tightening my lugs to 220 ft-lbs on my Ranger. Went out and bought a $6 socket from auto zone, tapped it on over it and cranked. But that was just a regular lug nut, I don't know what the pattern is for your security nut. If you can, bite the bullet with a socket of your own and save taking it to a shop.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Silver_Stang_05
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I have several socket sets. Will just lose one for the cause!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:08 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

I'm a tech at a local Ford dealer and we have the Ford/mcgraw master wheel lock sets that has vertually every wheel lock for Ford! You should try your dealer service department first and see if they have one and can help before you go ruin a socket or potentially your wheel when you miss with the hammer! I've done plenty but usually my hand and thumbs are the victims.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:37 PM
rebus
1st Gear Member

There was a tag that came with mine that had a unique serial number and 800 # for McGard, so an exact replacement could be obtained by calling. As far as getting the broken lock off, an old 12 point socket did the trick for me. I pounded it on and after removal, tossed it in the trash. Much cheaper than what the tire store wanted to remove it. Plenty of Youtube videos showing how easy it is. After seeing how worthless the locks are in protecting your wheels, and how easy they broke, (I always use a torque wrench) I just replaced them with regular nuts.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by acquah20
I'm a tech at a local Ford dealer and we have the Ford/mcgraw master wheel lock sets that has vertually every wheel lock for Ford!
Honestly I would try a shop before starting to do something potentially harmful to the rims, but then again a shop may do just the same... If they do have some thing like a master lock, I would give it to them, if they will pound a socket on it, I would rather pound my car myself haha.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Silver_Stang_05
1st Gear Member

The original locking set came with the car, so I do not have card for the exact pattern. I like the idea of taking it over to Ford and see if they can get them off. I already have the replacements If nothing else looks like I will be testing my steady hand and hammering a socket! Thanks guys!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

If your vehicle was in a cold climate, then a directed heat gun to the very cold lug nut would loosen the lug nut.

Quick Reply: Locking Lug Nut Broke Apart!