Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Hahahahahaha! For installed the wrong driveshaft! No wonder I had a new squawking sound.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Jeez, what is it with dealers? The install your driveshaft wrong and pinched another guy's gas line between the bell housing and the engine when they did a clutch job.

Gotta love it. You'd think taking it to the dealer would be a good thing, "Yeah, they work on these cars all the time, they know what's up." Not so much.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I wonder if Ford is just waiting for me to give up.

The service manager called me today and said they had fixed the driveshaft, again, and they had pinpointed the problem of the chattering noise when I turn. They said it was the plate between the engine and transmission. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????????????? That is obviously not the case. The separator plate does rattle, and it has always rattled due to poor design. However, there is no way a loud chattering noise which is activated while in a turn has anything to do with a stationary plate between the transmission and the engine. "I AM SICK of IT!!!!....'CAUSE I'M SICK OF IT!!!!" -Coach Hines
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Now, we're getting somewhere...after 3 weeks. The dealership replaced my separator plate, but (GASP!) the mechanic said the car was still making a terrible noise. He said to bring it back on Monday and he would (finally) take out the transmission and tear it down. I certainly hope he inspected my clutch while he had the bell housing open. We will see what happens next week.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Grasping at straws every day.
Good luck hope it's fixed.
Btw this is still all under warranty or your gonna sell a kidney :P
Old 02-11-2012, 02:49 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Still under warranty. There is no way I would take it to the dealership if it were not for the free parts and labor of warranty work. There are so many better mechanics out there who would have found the problem the first day.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Glad to hear you still have it under warranty,
Old 02-12-2012, 07:33 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

In other news, I am conflicted in whether or not to keep the stock mufflers on or put the MAC Flowpaths back on after the stang is fixed. I really like the smooth, quiet ride with the gentle V8 thump behind the dashboard, but the stang may beg to have the raw, throaty, bold MAC sound again. I will not, however, be putting the Bassani X back on. The way it joins to the over-axle pipes is ridiculous and too much work to reinstall.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Update:

Ford says they opened my transmission and they will be replacing several synchros as well as a few other parts. I really hope this is the fix. He said there was a TSB about bad synchros. Anyone had a problem with them before?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I had mine replaced and they felt exactly the same afterwards, so I guess I just wasn't used to the 3650. A bit notchy sometimes in 2nd but no audible grinding so whatever.

That said I don't think your problem sounds like synchros at all...

Quick Reply: Driveshaft question