Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Default Battery issue

Hey guys, I'm sure that this is pretty "noobish" but I let the radio running while I was detailing the car this afternoon and long story short, the car won't start. I"m pretty certain, given the circumstances, that the battery just doesn't have a charge. I'm also know that I can just get a battery charger and most likely solve this issue but I'd like to get input on which charger I should go with. I'm also entertaining the idea of purchasing a new battery as this battery is going on 6 years old and may need replaced soon anyhow. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Most AUTOMATIC battery chargers today are pretty top notch. Although I haven't looked at their recent models, I've had good luck with Sears products. I have a bass boat and charge 2 deep cycles weekly plus the starting battery on occasion.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

After some thought and talking with my dad I've decided that I should probably replace the battery due to the age. I don't want to go out to my car before heading to work and not be able to start the car because the battery is old and can't hold a good charge. Thank god I'm fortunate enough to have the funds right now! Thanks for your input though Nuke, I do appreciate you getting back to me so quickly!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

YW and sorry for not mentioning the battery. I agree; the MotorCrap battery should be replaced. Matter of fact, I'd replace the battery regardless of what brand after 6 years AND experiencing a deep discharge that leaves you stranded. I still have the OE Motorcrap in my '07 as does my wife in her '06. You can bet that I keep an eye on both.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Nothing is worse than being stranded due to a battery that won't hold a charge. Went through that last winter, broke down and bought a new battery
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Replacing the 6 year old battery is a wise move. You should get a battery charger anyway, always good to have one around.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:58 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRC702
Replacing the 6 year old battery is a wise move. You should get a battery charger anyway, always good to have one around.
Turns out my brother has one so if i'm ever in a bind I can call on him. I agree with you that it's def. smart to have one around 100%.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 AM
mustang country
2nd Gear Member

Six years is way too long to keep a car battery. You're lucky it lasted that long but it's best to change your car battery every 2 to 3 years.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

First thing i did when i bought my used 07 was put in a Optima red top !!

PS.. The Sears Diehard maint charger is a great unit and is like $20-30
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

When you replace the battery get a battery terminal brush and clean the battery terminals. It's also a good idea to look for corrosion on all the battery wires, where they hook up on the other end of the battery. Btw, all large cable connections corrode after 6 years, anytime you loosen or remove any battery or ground cable clean it with a wire brush or sand paper. A lot of the new cables have a thin plating on them, try not to scrub it off.
One of the "must have" tools is a voltmeter, you can pick up one for $10.00 or less at Walmart or Harbor Freight. When you replace the battery and charge it up, check the voltage on it when the car is running. 13.5VDC or higher means the alternator is OK. 12V or less means the alternator probably out.

Quick Reply: Battery issue