Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted Strut Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default Busted Strut Mount

I have had the front clunking sound for several months now and finally had time to install some new GT500 strut mounts. I followed the AM install instructions as they are very complete. I had a buddy helping me and we attempted to do it without the "spring compressor" tool. Got it out easy but couldnt reinstall the spring, it was just to big. I still have stock springs and it just wouldnt get in there. So off to Napa and $40 later we had the spring compressor tool. Works great and got it back there no problem. Swapped out the second one in under an hour, got all the bolts torqued to spec even the ones to 148 ft/lbs. One of the stock mounts was literally in two pieces and several ball bearings were out of it. Funny thing was my cluncking noise was from not from the side that was broken. Took the car for a drive and it would seem my clunking is not completely gone. It not near as bad but there is still some noise coming from under there. Oh well.

Since we had the car in the air we went ahead and swapped out my fuel filter. I still had the stocker in there with 23k miles. Its a simple swap, worst part is getting the gas smell off your hands.

If you need to change out your strut mounts, dont be intimidated as its quite simple with the proper tools and instructions.
Attached Thumbnails Busted Strut Mount-2012-01-28_15-48-13_903.jpg  
Old 01-29-2012, 07:35 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I have had the front clunking sound for several months now and finally had time to install some new GT500 strut mounts. I followed the AM install instructions as they are very complete. I had a buddy helping me and we attempted to do it without the "spring compressor" tool. Got it out easy but couldnt reinstall the spring, it was just to big. I still have stock springs and it just wouldnt get in there. So off to Napa and $40 later we had the spring compressor tool. Works great and got it back there no problem. Swapped out the second one in under an hour, got all the bolts torqued to spec even the ones to 148 ft/lbs. One of the stock mounts was literally in two pieces and several ball bearings were out of it. Funny thing was my cluncking noise was from not from the side that was broken. Took the car for a drive and it would seem my clunking is not completely gone. It not near as bad but there is still some noise coming from under there. Oh well.

Since we had the car in the air we went ahead and swapped out my fuel filter. I still had the stocker in there with 23k miles. Its a simple swap, worst part is getting the gas smell off your hands.

If you need to change out your strut mounts, dont be intimidated as its quite simple with the proper tools and instructions.
Yea if you have a lift...pretty annoying when you're doing it from the ground (still easy though). Congrats on the new strut mounts. I'm going to go with Steeda HD's as I've heard nothing but good things plus I'm lowering the vehicle.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:13 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

nitrile gloves dude. keep that crap off of you.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 PM
amustangrocks
2nd Gear Member

the oem strut mounts are junk as far as i`m concerned. they are the weak link in the frt end. i just put the gt500`s in mine( 3rd set all together in 100k).when these crap out i`ll take them apart to compare with the oems.

when i did my 2nd set, a week after the clunk came back, i had one top strut nut was a little loose( might have for got to tighten good on the install) and that took the noise away.

other things to look at is the sway bar end links, the nuts can get loose, or the knuckles can wear, check the sway bar mounting nuts and dbl check all your strut bolts. check your ball joints too. i just had to replace my frt control arms and tie rods.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:05 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Come on Baker, I wish a had a lift...... my friend keeps telling me I need one. LOL Its all about jackstands, jacks and homemade wood ramps.

Funny thing is I have 4 pairs of those nitrile gloves, just forgot to put them on till it was too late.

Nuts are all torqued to spec as I double checked all of them. Although I could have a worn bushing or something you never know. Its definitely less clunky than before though.

Always feels good to take on another challenge and get it done. Next is the PA deep pan/dip stick and some 2011 new take off leather for the seats. With that pan installed I wont dread changing the trans fluid ever again. The design of the the stock auto pan has got to be the worst ever.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Stin42
1st Gear Member

Glad its mostly cleared up its an intimidating but easy job. I can definitely see the OEM springs being harder but with my vogtlands I just get a 200+ lb friend to push down until I can get the threads to grab and hit it with my impact. Zaps it down quick and fast and you don't have to mess with the aftermarket hex wrench drama.

Hit me up next time you need an extra hand. May take me a minute to get there but I do enjoy some suspension work.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:16 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Nobody enjoys suspension work dude! Lol. Thanks... Did you guys cruise yesterday?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Stin42
1st Gear Member

Nobody enjoys suspension work dude! Lol. Thanks... Did you guys cruise yesterday?
No. I think Rolland I both had work. I don't get weekends off very often. I should have a weekend day off coming up in a couple weeks though so we'll have to get a cruise going.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

there is a TSB for the S197 strut mounts.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

It really isn't that bad of a job. The Ford TSB says to use the newer nut/bolt kits, which are fine thread vs coarse thread and the new torque is 169ft/lb I think.

When I put on my Tokico Blues, I used these instead of the factory upper strut mount: http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-c...er-plates.html.

They are really nice pieces and I didn't have any issues when I put everything back together.

Quick Reply: Busted Strut Mount