Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory HID's

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:08 PM
gghaml51

Originally Posted by freyes
The OEM HIDS are poorly engineering because if your ballast goes out, you trash the whole headlight, as the ballasts are inside the headlight.
I guess that shows how much you know about OEM HID's! Each component can be replaced and Ford will make parts for longer than an after market dealer will.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:20 PM
gghaml51

Originally Posted by lancea9847
I appriciate the help i really do but i dont know were these wires go. My relay is labeled like this

#87 12V in
#85 Ground
#86 on/off switch 12V
30/51 12 V out

It would be very helpful if you can label the diagram as to which wires go where! Thankx in advance
#87 12V in: Hot wire from fuse box.
#85 Ground: I used the OEM fender ground. I ran a long wire.
#86 on/off switch 12V: Low beam wire.
#30 12V out: 12V wire that goes to ballast.

I hope this helps.
You also need to make sure everything is water proof.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gghaml51
I guess that shows how much you know about OEM HID's! Each component can be replaced and Ford will make parts for longer than an after market dealer will.
I guess I was misinformed by my Ford parts department. Sorry. So I guess Year one doesn't make parts for 64 Ford Mustangs and you can still get them from Ford? I don't think so! I guess you need to justify your costly purchase?

I do know I spent over $300.00 less for my conversion and didn't have to fiddle with diodes and relays, which, if you don't know how to install them, can burn out. I also got 55W 5000K bulbs with quality projectors which I know throw better than the OEMs. Good luck with your installs.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 PM
gghaml51

I guess I was misinformed by my Ford parts department. Sorry. So I guess Year one doesn't make parts for 64 Ford Mustangs and you can still get them from Ford? I don't think so! I guess you need to justify your costly purchase?

I do know I spent over $300.00 less for my conversion and didn't have to fiddle with diodes and relays, which, if you don't know how to install them, can burn out. I also got 55W 5000K bulbs with quality projectors which I know throw better than the OEMs. Good luck with your installs.
Look if I want to spend money on something I don't think I have to justify anything to anyone especially you!

If you check your 5000K bulbs don't put out the visible light that mine do!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Look if I want to spend money on something I don't think I have to justify anything to anyone especially you!

If you check your 5000K bulbs don't put out the visible light that mine do!
I said the factory bulbs. I have no idea what bulbs you use.

My light output is 3500 lumens, Bulbs with the same wattage can put out different amounts of light output. Color temperature dictates whether the light is white to purple. The higher the kelvin temperature, the less visible light the bulb produces.

So are we down to taking out a measuring stick and seeing whose is bigger?, oh I meant whose light output is greater?

Looks like you are trying to justify your purchase to you, not to me, I could care less. What was that saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 PM
junon

Talking

Ive been reading all over on how to get the hi beams working and there was never a real solid answer. I took my car to a shop today and got them to install diodes on both sides and boom. Hi Beams work perfectly now. I dont know what Im doing so i left it to a professional and they took care of it quickly after testing my whole setup. Seems to be a good way to get them working if anyone is having this problem. Try to find a local shop who knows what they are doing alot of dealers and shops wont really know but if your persistant enough you will find one.

Im super happy now got my factory hids working perfect.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM
gghaml51

I said the factory bulbs. I have no idea what bulbs you use.

My light output is 3500 lumens, Bulbs with the same wattage can put out different amounts of light output. Color temperature dictates whether the light is white to purple. The higher the kelvin temperature, the less visible light the bulb produces.

So are we down to taking out a measuring stick and seeing whose is bigger?, oh I meant whose light output is greater?

Looks like you are trying to justify your purchase to you, not to me, I could care less. What was that saying about bringing a knife to a gun fight?
I have factory bulbs. They put in the 4300K because the out put is optimum for visible light. All I can say is mine aren't illegal.

I would say we both have what we want!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 PM
gghaml51

Originally Posted by junon
Ive been reading all over on how to get the hi beams working and there was never a real solid answer. I took my car to a shop today and got them to install diodes on both sides and boom. Hi Beams work perfectly now. I dont know what Im doing so i left it to a professional and they took care of it quickly after testing my whole setup. Seems to be a good way to get them working if anyone is having this problem. Try to find a local shop who knows what they are doing alot of dealers and shops wont really know but if your persistant enough you will find one.

Im super happy now got my factory hids working perfect.
I'm Glad it worked! The HID's really put out the light too!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

I have factory bulbs. They put in the 4300K because the out put is optimum for visible light. All I can say is mine aren't illegal.

I would say we both have what we want!
According to California and Federal law if a car comes with HID lights, then aftermarket HID lights with light temperatures less than or equal to 5000K are legal. FYI 5000K 55W outputs more lumens than 4300K 35W. Laws of Physics.

I'm not talking about just removing the Halogen bulbs and replacing them with HID Xenon bulbs. I'm talking about opening up the headlight, replacing the reflector with a quality projector that can be properly aimed, as well as making sure the bulb is the same bulb type as the OEM HID. I have several relatives who are policemen. When someone is pulled over, the standard test is to place a white sheet of paper in front of the headlight and look for any blue in the headlight. Blue gets you a ticket. My lights are white, without any trace of blue. Look at my previous pics of my lights against a wall. Maybe where you live 5000K is illegal, but in California, my lights are legal. 6000K is not as it contains some blue light. Heresay is not fact. When you "state" something, back it up with references.

http://voices.yahoo.com/hid-xenon-li...e-7576214.html
The above reference links to Color temperature.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7554731_ca...-law-hids.html
The above reference links to California vehicle codes 24400, 24410, 23950 & 24005.

FMVSS-108 and 49 CFR Part 564 (Federal Regulations)

http://forums.officer.com/t41131/
What law enforcement does in California to ensure compliance to CVC regulations.

Last edited by freyes; 04-19-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 PM
gghaml51

According to California and Federal law if a car comes with HID lights, then aftermarket HID lights with light temperatures less than or equal to 5000K are legal. FYI 5000K 55W outputs more lumens than 4300K 35W. Laws of Physics.

I'm not talking about just removing the Halogen bulbs and replacing them with HID Xenon bulbs. I'm talking about opening up the headlight, replacing the reflector with a quality projector that can be properly aimed, as well as making sure the bulb is the same bulb type as the OEM HID. I have several relatives who are policemen. When someone is pulled over, the standard test is to place a white sheet of paper in front of the headlight and look for any blue in the headlight. Blue gets you a ticket. My lights are white, without any trace of blue. Look at my previous pics of my lights against a wall. Maybe where you live 5000K is illegal, but in California, my lights are legal. 6000K is not as it contains some blue light. Heresay is not fact. When you "state" something, back it up with references.

http://voices.yahoo.com/hid-xenon-li...e-7576214.html
The above reference links to Color temperature.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7554731_ca...-law-hids.html
The above reference links to California vehicle codes 24400, 24410, 23950 & 24005.

FMVSS-108 and 49 CFR Part 564 (Federal Regulations)

http://forums.officer.com/t41131/
What law enforcement does in California to ensure compliance to CVC regulations.
I think this has become a pissing contest between you and me with absolutly no benifit to any one. I conceed you are the BEST and you did back up your views with facts this time. (Not about OEM lights being junk) All I can say is have a good life and enjoy what you have I will!