Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question

Old 02-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Holdembrett

Default Exhaust question

I have a 2006 gt and I am looking to add only 1 of the following shorty headers or a o/r x or h pipe . I am not only looking for a little bit louder exhaust but the obvious a little bit more power . Which item would give more HP is the main part of my question. Also I am not looking for long tubes. Current mods are K and N CAI, UDP, TB spacer and Flowmaster Axle back.
And yes a SCT tuner will be going on from Brenspeed or American muscle with this exhaust upgrade . Thanks for your input Brett
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Well first off, that TB spacer isn't doing anything for you, may as well take it off and use it as a paper weight. No. Seriously.

Also from what I've experienced, neither will give you too much extra power, though I think your best bet would be the o/r pipe as far as volume and power. Just make sure you're ready for the increase in volume. Some say they felt a slight power boost with shorties, some say they're worthless. Personally I think if you went with shorties with a stock midpipe, it'd be next to nothing.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
Well first off, that TB spacer isn't doing anything for you, may as well take it off and use it as a paper weight. No. Seriously.

Also from what I've experienced, neither will give you too much extra power, though I think your best bet would be the o/r pipe as far as volume and power. Just make sure you're ready for the increase in volume. Some say they felt a slight power boost with shorties, some say they're worthless. Personally I think if you went with shorties with a stock midpipe, it'd be next to nothing.
what he said about the TB, biggest waste of money, search the forum you will find out how much people have to say about them, 2nd if you go with the O/R your gonna have to have a tune because you are taking off your cats keep that in mind, on the shorties you might as well go with tuned length, i did but other than sound most people are finding out that the exhuast gives lil to no horsepower gains
Old 02-20-2012, 11:00 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Of those three choices, the offroad x-pipe will give you a modest increase in power. It will require a tune as stated. Removing the stock cats does free up the exhaust flow. Without the rear mufflers, it should sound nice and loud under throttle.

On another note, don't bother with shorty headers. They really don't flow much more than your stock pieces, and are somewhat of a pain. Long tubes are the only headers worth the money and hassle.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Power and a huge increase in sound volume will come from the O/R X or H pipe, with a tune of course.. Shorties will make a little difference in power but not much with a stock exhaust .. A full LT and O/R mid will be a good combo to have..
Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Yeah forget the TB and shorties. Headers are a serious PITA to install and if your gonna spend two days under your car you better get some damn power out of it. Before you buy an offroad x or h pipe go to youtube and see what sounds best with your current mufflers.

As far as power dont be fooled, there is little to no power from changing your midpipe, but the tone will certainly be satisfying.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

MM&FF magazine did a comparo between stock, shorties, and LT's about 1 year ago. Shorties added 6peak hp, but bigger gains of 10-12 were in the midrange.
LT's added about another 8-10 at peak, with an additional 10-12 in the midrange over the shorties.
I have BBK shorties, and a 3" Magnapak exhaust with stock h-pipe. These were put on after my Procharger install. I hit 450 rwhp on a stock car on a 55 or so degree day. After the exhaust install, with no other mods on a humid 90+ August day I hit 459rwhp on the same Mustang dyno at Prochargers facility. We know temperature plays a roll in numbers so you can do the math and make a logical assumption. After that session with ProCharger, I had to replace the rear brake pads and rotors, lol.

Personally, I like the deeper tone the H-pipe gives, as opposed to the cracklier, crisper X-pipe.
FWIW, on a dynojet I peaked at 487rwhp. Seems high, but the magazine also used the same dynojet after using Prochargers and had a 20-25hp difference.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 02-21-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Holdembrett

Thanks for the input. I purchased the TB spacer and udp's about 3 years ago and they have been sitting in the garage until about a month ago and I finally put them on. Have to spend time with the family before the car . You gotta love how companys make a false claim when they advertise on some items but the Tb spacer was only 20 bucks so oh well on that . Not to mention if I was on this forum before I wouldnt have purchased it. Not looking for big gains but the stock h pipe would be a easy install over the shortys anyway . Going to check out youtube to see what sounds better and maybe go that route . Once again thanks for the input. Brett
Old 02-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Exhaust is the most difficult decide to me. FIrst, every mustang is different and you can't hear what exactly sound like until it's installed on your car. Second, by the time it's installed, then it's too late to regret if you get the wrong one. It's PITA to take it out and put another one on.

Find a local mustang club and meet some people with different setups in person. You will be impressed that every mustang sounds freaking dirfferent and go from there.
youtube is fine to listen to different setup. But in fact, some mustangs sound alot deeper(mine) than it's on youtube.

For bigger bang for the buck, LTs is way to go..That's my opinion.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Rainson makes a good point. Every car is different and videos rarely give you an accurate tonal sample. Mine is way deeper in person. The video is weak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust question