Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Air for s197's who can explain to me how to make it work?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Default Ram Air for s197's who can explain to me how to make it work?

Ok guys i bought a TruFiber Ram air hood its currently being painted. I bought it because I like the idea of it being a funtioning ram air scoop and on the website it sais it moves air to your airbox. Ok thats obvious but it doesnt say how to hook it up to the airbox. I have tried to research this a little bit but havent found any good write-ups. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt ram air supposed to be an entirely enclosed air tight ductwork directing cold air from outside the engine bay to the engine kindof like a poormans blower. I cant find any aftermarket airboxes that makes the airtight connection to the hood I did see where someone made their own but it didnt look very good. Also I assume that Im going to need a tuner which I want anyway but would it be benificial to get a CAI and somehow enclose it in the ram air system somehow or is it you have to use one or the other?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

I thought it works while you install the hood...Isn't there a vent/hole when you look under the hood right above the air box? I thought the air goes into the scoop and get re-directed to the top of the air box. that's what it looks like to me..you might want to ask someone from trufiber..
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rainson
I thought it works while you install the hood...Isn't there a vent/hole when you look under the hood right above the air box? I thought the air goes into the scoop and get re-directed to the top of the air box. that's what it looks like to me..you might want to ask someone from trufiber..

yea as you can see from the picture it fits right above the airbox but what do yo do just take the airbox cover off? somehow I dobt that all you do I had the hood on my car when i had it fit tested and when I had the hoodpin holes drilles and I didnt take the airbox cover off then and it fit just fine somehow i dont think it even came close to the airbox probably a couple inches inbetween the hood and the box so what would you have to do to make it air tight add some foam rubber around the edges or something alon those lines anyone who has actually made the connection please give some input on how you did it.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

My guess is the funtion of this hood is re-direct air from the top of the hood to the air box area for better air flow. Not necessarily into the air filter. Maybe I'm wrong.. I dun have any other thought by looking at the pic.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Ok. So the notion that Ram Air works has been beat to death time and time again. The consensus is this: That while its cool to talk about and MIGHT drop IATs, the actual benefit of ram air is negligible, IE so little that it very well might be to measurement error by the dyno. Standard argument against that is you cant evaluate it on a dyno because its not moving. Engine techs will tell you that you cant force more air into an EFI engine than it wants. If it was a carburated engine maybe, but not with modern tech. So my advice is dont waste your time, energy, and effort. Buy a CAI+ Tune combo and let that filter take advantage of the air being dumped on it, but outside of that youre not doing anything.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Best bet for Ram Air would have been a cervinis Ram Air or type iv hood with a WMS intake.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rainson
My guess is the funtion of this hood is re-direct air from the top of the hood to the air box area for better air flow. Not necessarily into the air filter. Maybe I'm wrong.. I dun have any other thought by looking at the pic.
I hope thats not the case I was hoping to actually get some type of a performance boost from the forced cold air from the hood thats part of the reason I bought it that and my old one was corroded to hell. Maybe I should have done more reserch on it. who out there actually has a functioning ram air system and is there any performance gains?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
Ok. So the notion that Ram Air works has been beat to death time and time again. The consensus is this: That while its cool to talk about and MIGHT drop IATs, the actual benefit of ram air is negligible, IE so little that it very well might be to measurement error by the dyno. Standard argument against that is you cant evaluate it on a dyno because its not moving. Engine techs will tell you that you cant force more air into an EFI engine than it wants. If it was a carburated engine maybe, but not with modern tech. So my advice is dont waste your time, energy, and effort. Buy a CAI+ Tune combo and let that filter take advantage of the air being dumped on it, but outside of that youre not doing anything.
crap thats not what i wanted to here but thanks for cluing me in If thats the case ill probably just take your advice
Old 02-22-2012, 03:38 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Every inch of the hood that is not the very front edge is in a dead air space. Ever driven after a rain? Yeah, even @ 80 you won't see that water being blown off the hood, especially where the factory hood scoop is positioned.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:45 AM
JimC

It sounds like you have the stock intake - don't cut it to make this dump air in. You will have unfiltered air going in to your engine because the stock set up draws air from the bottom.

None of the options out there are true "ram air".

Get a CAI and open filter like a C&L. This hood is designed with that in mind so that any air coming into the scoop opening is directed to the open element.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram Air for s197's who can explain to me how to make it work?