Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIDs Questions/Concerns

Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 AM
nfordhk
1st Gear Member

Default HIDs Questions/Concerns

I was trying to purchase HIDs for my 2005 GT Mustang. However, when I went searching I began to become confused on what was needed.

For Example: On HIDExtra.com if you search by make/model it tells you your low beams are H13

When sorting their products by bulb only Hi/Lo kits came up for H13? I thought Hi/Lo kits only came into play when the high beam/low beam were in the same casing?

As on my GT I have my low beams headlights and my high beams on the grill. Can someone break this down for me so I do not purchase the incorrect kit?

Link for bulbs based on car Make/Model
http://www.hidextra.com/Ford-HID-Kit...9131b451caa310

Link to Hi/Lo Kit
http://www.hidextra.com/h13-slim-matte-black-hid-kit

I found this research

1. HID low beam + NO HIGH BEAM (A single beam hid kit)
2 HID low beam + halogen high beam (A Hi/lo HID kit)
3 HID low beam + HID high beam (A bi-xenon HID kit)

Bi-xenon also reffers to cars that come factory with a single lamp housing using an HID that uses a drop sheild to create a high beam and low beam pattern from the same housing. essentially the term bi-xenon is reffering to a

"single housing that uses an HID bulb to create two different beam patterns"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what is needed for us?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

You'll need H13s for the headlights and H10s for the fogs. I have a bi-xenon kit. Go to retrosolutionsllc.com and look at their products. High quality stuff and by far the best customer service out there! I'm sure most of the guys on here will agree.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 PM
nfordhk
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help! I guess we just get screwed and have to purchase multi system kits for our single system headlights haha.

I check out retro however, I think I will stick with HID extra. I have always used them in the past and their customer service is very good as well. Thanks though!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:49 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nfordhk
I was trying to purchase HIDs for my 2005 GT Mustang. However, when I went searching I began to become confused on what was needed.

For Example: On HIDExtra.com if you search by make/model it tells you your low beams are H13

When sorting their products by bulb only Hi/Lo kits came up for H13? I thought Hi/Lo kits only came into play when the high beam/low beam were in the same casing?

As on my GT I have my low beams headlights and my high beams on the grill. Can someone break this down for me so I do not purchase the incorrect kit?

Link to Hi/Lo Kit

I found this research

Bi-xenon also reffers to cars that come factory with a single lamp housing using an HID that uses a drop sheild to create a high beam and low beam pattern from the same housing. essentially the term bi-xenon is reffering to a

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between option 1 and 3 is that they both use a single bulb, but option 3 uses a magnet to move the position of the bulb when you need high beams... The housing is different and accounts for the difference in pricing.

Option 2 is the cheap way out to give "high beams" but now you are running a halogen bulb with an HID... Kinda stupid...

Most people rarely use their high beams and will opt for the first one to save some coin, but if you use your high beams get option 3. Like I said, there is still only 1 single xenon bulb, the difference is the bulb can move to position it out further in the housing giving more light output.

BTW, If you ever do look to buy from a different vendor, I highly recommend Todd at Retro-Solutions, like Bakerjd does.

Don
Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

DO NOT buy from Hidextra.com. I was cheap and bought their H13 bi-xenon kit. One of the bulbs went out after 3 months. I bought another bulb from them to replace it and it lasted about 2 months. That's when I decided to tear out the Hidextra kit and buy a set from Retrosolutions. Been running with the Retrosolutions HID kit for over a year with no problems.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nfordhk

Link to Hi/Lo Kit

I found this research

I am confused by this statement. Your low and high beams run out of the headlights and your foglights are in the grill, that is why the lights you are looking at are low/hi beam.
Also I recommend Retro-solutions as well, they are a little more expensive but well worth it for the quality!!