Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Jack Stands at Once

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Sully06GT
1st Gear Member

Question 4 Jack Stands at Once

I'm hoping to check the caliper paint off my list soon. I've never used a jack stand let alone 4 at once. Any help with good/safe strategies for lifting and where to place the stands would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

when I did my calipers I put one on each the jack points in the front on the railing. then one on each side of the rear end
Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Another thing my FIL taught me (old school diesel mechanic) is carefully put your wheels under the car in strategic places. That way if you do something stupid and the car happens to fall off the stands, they land on the wheel and hopefully save your life and limbs. Being a big guy, I have almost a phobia of being under the car and getting crushed, but sometimes you gotta do the crawl. Its also about the only time I wish I was a little guy with a Napoleon complex, so it's worth the trade off I suppose.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 AM
tomkay
1st Gear Member

I always raise the front first and then the rear. If the car needs to be higher I do it in stages, front/back until it is high enough. The worst was my brother's MR2 which had to be 2 feet off the ground to pull motor.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

I jack the car and place the stands as far apart on the frame as possible. Then use the jack at the K member.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

All good advice. I jack the front from the k member and place jack stands on the frame rails. Jack the rear via the pumpkin and place stands on axles. I also put ramps under the wheels for security. I always shake the car from various angles to make sure the stands are stable.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Front on frame rails. Rear on axles. If your stands are worth a damn, that car won't budge. Good luck bro.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

^Exactly my thoughts...the wheel idea is pretty smart too.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Another thing my FIL taught me (old school diesel mechanic) is carefully put your wheels under the car in strategic places. That way if you do something stupid and the car happens to fall off the stands, they land on the wheel and hopefully save your life and limbs. Being a big guy, I have almost a phobia of being under the car and getting crushed, but sometimes you gotta do the crawl. Its also about the only time I wish I was a little guy with a Napoleon complex, so it's worth the trade off I suppose.
This post might be the single most important and best information I have ever seen. Damn good idea and from now on I will probably never be under a car without doing this.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

I have a phobia of being under cars too especially when I have them on a lift. the wheel idea is pretty good, but the next time mine are off is so I can plastidip them. and I always do the earth quake test before getting under a car.

Quick Reply: 4 Jack Stands at Once