Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake system

Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Maddysam

Default Cold air intake system

Hey folks,

I have a 2011 Mustang GT. I am planning to get an after market cold air intake system. Can you suggest the best one to go for ?

I am comparing between K&N system and Airaid. I see lot of people out there using Airaid.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
JimC

Going to have to give more information because "best" is a relative term

"Best" for what? What are you looking for in an intake system, what are your plans and goals for the car? How do you intend to drive the car - any track visits planned or just looking for a little better performance on the street?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Maddysam

I am just looking for normal street driving with better performance and ofcourse I would love the new roaring sound that comes off.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

you know that the performance really only comes from the tune and .. that you'll likely need to tune based on your intake choice, right?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Maddysam

I just learnt that Airaid CAI which doesn't require tuning will bump the HP to only 12 more, let me know if I am wrong. I think if I go with steeda and tune it, there would be significant power boost.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

no tune intakes are really for sound and looks. the airaid system has some weird filter thing you place in the tube to allow you to not have to tune it. I really doubt it actually makes 12hp still.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:09 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maddysam
I just learnt that Airaid CAI which doesn't require tuning will bump the HP to only 12 more, let me know if I am wrong. I think if I go with steeda and tune it, there would be significant power boost.
Got the steeda cai and tunes from steeda. Couldn't be happier. Good luck with ur decision. Just make sure to get the tune from a respectable company.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Yea..airaid k&n and bbk make a "non tune" CAI but honestly I don't think you would be able to tell the difference..I'm with shoeys08 if have the steeda and a tune and couldn't be happier..
Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Maddysam

I got it. I guess it makes sense to invest on steeda with tune unless there is something comparable in the market performance wise.

How about tuning? should I specifically tune it for steeda cai or it can customized according to the needs?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maddysam
I got it. I guess it makes sense to invest on steeda with tune unless there is something comparable in the market performance wise.

How about tuning? should I specifically tune it for steeda cai or it can customized according to the needs?
You will want to contact a reputable tuner. Some of the most popular tuners are american muscle(bama performance), brenspeed, or in some cases steeda themselves. Most of these guys offer free tunes for life as long as you purchase your parts through them. They will customize your tune to your driving needs and what you are trying to accomplish. If you search their websites you will see that they offer deals on a CAI SCT tuner combo for your car. Good Luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold air intake system