Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad did I f this up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:35 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Default How bad did I f this up?

Ok so something has been rattling inside my evap system, so I decided to drop it and look. Well the two nuts that hold it on the axle side just spin in place with the bolt. Except the one on the left side is now half way loose and I cannot even tighten it back up due to it completely spinning. So now what do I do?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

If you have a die set, maybe you could chase the existing bolt and see if that helps?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:07 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Actually my buddy has a die set....can you explain chase? I have re threaded before but I am not familiar with the chase term.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

My father in law (mechanic/truck driver) calls it that when you take a die and run it over an existing thread on a bolt to clean the threads up (or re-thread), so that's what I've stuck with through the years.

Also used when you are after the ladies or need something to help keep the whiskey down.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
My father in law (mechanic/truck driver) calls it that when you take a die and run it over an existing thread on a bolt to clean the threads up (or re-thread), so that's what I've stuck with through the years.

Also used when you are after the ladies or need something to help keep the whiskey down.
I see haha. The problem is that the top part of the bolt is in that bracket and I have no way of holding on to the bolt. So if do try to chase it it will spin. I could cut the bolt off, but I don't know how I would manage to attach a new one. I wish I knew how the damn thing was constructed.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Can't you stick a flat blade screw driver through the side to hold the bolt head? I haven't really looked at those bolts, but from what you describe, there must be a way to keep the bolt from spinning.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Ahhh....I understand what your saying now. Is there anyway you can reach up in there to see how the top of that bolt is constructed? Maybe an offset box end wrench or a crows foot on a socket with a wobbly could get up in there, but you'll need to get a gander at what the top end looks like somehow. Either feeling around in there is the ticket or if you are lucky you have a buddy who has one of those inspection camera's with the flexible lense thing.

Before I went as far as cutting it off, I think I'd find someone to weld it first. Cutting it off isnt likely gonna help at all. If you weld it, it won't go anywhere.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Can't you stick a flat blade screw driver through the side to hold the bolt head? I haven't really looked at those bolts, but from what you describe, there must be a way to keep the bolt from spinning.
I tried that, did not work, in a matter of fact I couldn't feel anything that held the bolt period.

Originally Posted by wcgman
Ahhh....I understand what your saying now. Is there anyway you can reach up in there to see how the top of that bolt is constructed? Maybe an offset box end wrench or a crows foot on a socket with a wobbly could get up in there, but you'll need to get a gander at what the top end looks like somehow. Either feeling around in there is the ticket or if you are lucky you have a buddy who has one of those inspection camera's with the flexible lense thing.

Before I went as far as cutting it off, I think I'd find someone to weld it first. Cutting it off isnt likely gonna help at all. If you weld it, it won't go anywhere.
I tried sticking stuff into that bracket to hold the bolt, but it feels like nothing is there. A 10mm wrench wont even fit inside so that was a bummer. I may try to get a picture up tonight after work of the inside the bracket, if I can get to it.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 AM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Not sure if this would work, but you could try to jb weld that bolt to the bracket.

Last edited by obxdude018; 04-01-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
Not sure if this would work, but you try to jb weld that bolt to the bracket.
That was going to be my next suggestion. It must have been spot welded.

Quick Reply: How bad did I f this up?