Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing hid

Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM
jtfrog
2nd Gear Member

Default installing hid

Installing xentec hid h13 high/low kit with relay harness. I. Have 3 wires to goe that plug into the factory connector pn pass side wires from car are yellow black and green and from relay are brown white and blue, can anyone help
Old 04-15-2012, 08:09 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

05-09 headlight plug wiring:

Drivers side(left):
White = low beam
Violet w/yellow stripe = high beam
Black = ground

Passenger side(right):
Light Green w/white stripe = low beam
Yellow w/white stripe = high beam
Black = ground

H13 relay end Plug wiring:

As you likely didn't purchase from there, the color codes don't match, but the kit "should" say, and you could simply ask who you bought it from should they not have a website. If not, or if rushed, my best guess would be:

White = low beams
Blue = high beams
Brown = ground for the high beam halogen bulb(s)

Things of note:
Verify with a multi-meter first. That "should" be right, but you never know. I might make a mistake bashing this out from the docs in an off-hand fashion, or they fiddled with something that year, etc...

The SJB on our mustangs will likely cut power out on you after a second, but it should be fairly straight-forward to verify still with a friend/helper. $2 alligator clip jumpers from rag shack to test the H13, fairly easy..

The carhidkit.com reference page linked below has a vid for how to switch those pins on the H13, should they not be right, and you will very likely need a flickering/cutting-out solution (just for the low beam relay lines unless your high beams are also HIDs, which I don't think is the case), either the 50w 8ohm resistors, or using $2 inverted 1000uF-4700uF caps(capacitors) from rag shack. Our SJB, and any modern vehicle really, if you switch out the halogens you take the load it's expecting off, thinking that your bulbs aren't connected, burned out, or otherwise has an issue, hence the flickering/cutting-out mess that usually occurs.

You will excuse me know as I take a brief pause to point and laugh, as the CS bought has factory HIDs.

References:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...0Autolamps.pdf
using http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile=Symbols.pdf(page 3 to verify color wiring abbreviations)
and
www.carhidkits.com/index.php?main_page=installation_guide for the H13(generic)

Last edited by wayne613; 04-16-2012 at 01:23 AM.