Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing a wheel finish? buy new wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Default Fixing a wheel finish? buy new wheels?

So on my way home today I was at a stop light, got a protected green turn. Man on the other side goes through his red light(right turn) without stopping at probably 45mph , I accelerate and move out of the way to avoid an accident (got ahead of him)... tore up my right back wheel on a curb. He drives off as fast as he can while im getting my car straightened out and recovering. Lesson learned, people are worthless. So my question is the actual wheel is not in bad shape, but looks like crap because the finish looks like someone took a buzz saw to it. Is there a way to repair this? Or should I be wheel shopping?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

If the damage is just to the paint, you could have it refinished. If you've got gouges in the actual metal, I'd be looking for a replacement wheel.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

gouges in the wheel unfortunately from what I have went over it
Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Newatthis
1st Gear Member

Hi,

There should be a few places where you are that specializes in wheel straightening and refinishing. Look for "wheel repairs, allow wheel repairs, etc".

These places can make the wheel look like new again. Depending on actual labour/damage to fix, cost could be between $100 to $250. You'll have to weigh the cost of repairs compared to a new or used wheel.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

depends on the damage. I tore up a rim on my old car and fixing it required filing down the lip which also weakens it. if you are running a lower profile tire and hit a nasty pot hole the rim will bend again. you can have it fixed because it is cheaper than buying new ones but at the same time it can be a gamble. My rim held up for about a year before i bent it again and ended up buying new rims because i was unfixable the second time.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

I want to say the rim is ok structurally. Looks like it just gouged the outer rim. I think im just going to save up and ride them out and get some aftermarket ones when I get the chance.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ares05
I want to say the rim is ok structurally. Looks like it just gouged the outer rim. I think im just going to save up and ride them out and get some aftermarket ones when I get the chance.
If your plan down the road is to replace them with aftermarket wheels & tires, I'd let it be and save the money.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

Cosmetic damage should be fixable without too much trouble. I noticed this company's Massachusetts mobile repair truck in the area a few months ago so I just went to their corporate site and see that they have several franchisees in Illinois. If interested - check them out. I've never used them so I can't give a recommendation but maybe someone else here could.

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/index.html
Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Newatthis
1st Gear Member

Here's a sample of the kind of repairs that a good place can do for curbed/rashed rims. I took it to a local place out here in BC called Nu-Brite Industries. All they do is fix rims. The whole rim looks new and perfect. I have another wheel that was fixed elsewhere before i bought them, apparently fixed by a mobile repair, and the repair is no comparison. The fix on the other wheel lacks the gloss of the clear coat, and has the spray paint graininess. This place i took this wheel even clear coated the inside of the rim, and I couldn't have been more impressed by the repair.

Just to show the kind of quality that a good place can do to rims these days. For someone who's not mechanically inclined to even attempt to do these things, it's truly impressive. The damage was the complete shearing off of the top layer down to the bare aluminum metal. Can't even tell there was ever any damage after the fix. Since these are my "aftermarket" rims, it was worth it to me to fix it.

Fixed:
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 PM
300HorsesAndCounting

How did you tear up the rim? Did you like slide into the curb? Anyway, save up for wheels you actually want not just another stock set.

Quick Reply: Fixing a wheel finish? buy new wheels?