Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can 2 of the "same" tunes be so different?

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Also the adaptive learning needs to be reset when you swap tunes.
Even if they are both called 91 octane.
Did you do this when swapping tunes?
If not then all comparisons fly right out the window so to speak.
Would not the reprogramming of the ECU pretty much reset the adaptive learning? It seems to also have wiped when I had an oil change due (doh). I swapped from a 93R to a 93S, then back to 93R, and did notice the slight idle/RPM change that happens for a split second when I put it in park before I turn the car off (doesn't seem to do that while in drive - the idle RPM changing when coming to a stop, and never did that the first time I pushed 93R to it).

Otherwise I understand - disconnect battery for few mins, and that will reset things - but seriously wouldn't applying a new tune account for that? (just curious!)

I actually have the same thing ahead of me (A firmware update to my SCT, and some new tunes sent that can only be used with the new firmware - same tunes w/ no extra mods, just 'updated'). I'm curious to hear how all this goes/causes of it?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:01 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Hey, OP!

Sorry to hear that you're not pleased with the new 91Race tune. I'm not sure what could've been changed in the tune, but I'd be happy to look into it for you. Is it only the idle and throttle response that are different? Have you had either of them to the track to compare times or anything?

I don't imagine much would've changed if all the mods are the same, but being that all our our tunes are hand-written, it's possible that one or more parameters were changed. Can you please shoot me a PM with your order number or email address, so that I can have our Lead Calibrator look into it for you. Let me know! Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Have a great weekend!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Also the adaptive learning needs to be reset when you swap tunes.
Even if they are both called 91 octane.
Did you do this when swapping tunes?
If not then all comparisons fly right out the window so to speak.
How do you do that?

Originally Posted by AMChrisYoung
Hey, OP!

Sorry to hear that you're not pleased with the new 91Race tune. I'm not sure what could've been changed in the tune, but I'd be happy to look into it for you. Is it only the idle and throttle response that are different? Have you had either of them to the track to compare times or anything?

I don't imagine much would've changed if all the mods are the same, but being that all our our tunes are hand-written, it's possible that one or more parameters were changed. Can you please shoot me a PM with your order number or email address, so that I can have our Lead Calibrator look into it for you. Let me know! Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Have a great weekend!
Yes, it is only the idle and throttle response that feel different. I've never been to a track, so I can't compare times between the two. I will PM you my email address and the order number shortly. Thank you for taking the time to help me! You have a great weekend as well!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

After you load a tune (or reconnect the battery), the computer has to learn the idle parameters again. Just start her up and don't touch any pedals. Let it idle for 10 minutes, then another 5 minutes with the A/C on. At that point the air/fuel ratio will stabilize and the adaptive learning will be reset.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:40 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=Antonio323;7916734]How do you do that?

Originally Posted by jpplaw
After you load a tune (or reconnect the battery), the computer has to learn the idle parameters again. Just start her up and don't touch any pedals. Let it idle for 10 minutes, then another 5 minutes with the A/C on. At that point the air/fuel ratio will stabilize and the adaptive learning will be reset.
Relearning the idle is pretty easy, simply follow the steps above and that should help your idle. As for the throttle response, I've set up our Lead Calibrator to examine your files to see if there's any changes that could be made to get it back to the way it was for you. Please let me know if you don't hear from them by Monday or Tuesday. Thanks again for your patience and understanding. Have a great rest of the weekend!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Well, I reloaded the old 91 Race tune yesterday and the car is just as good as it has ever been. I think I'll just stick with the old tune. Thanks so much for your help guys!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Antonio323
How do you do that?
Disconnect the NEGATIVE battery cable for 20 minutes.

Be sure and recalibrate the gas pedal after rehooking the battery.