Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No clearcoat - No problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Default No clearcoat - No problem

Yesterday, I was driving through traffic in south Dallas on a 3 lane road. Stop lights every 100 yards. 30 mph speed limit. I was sitting at a light with my windows down, enjoying the day before it the temps get up above 95 for the rest of the summer, when I hear somebody revving his engine gratuitously. I look around and see a 2000 GT vert a couple car lengths back in the next lane. Exhaust almost dragging the ground. Paint faded and peeling. Engine sounding like it wanted to drop out and crawl onto the shoulder to die in peace. We were surrounded by sedans and SUV's (and half the Dallas PD) so I could only conclude he was trying to get my attention. Now, Dinah is stock except some Flowmaster exhaust so I'm not rolling up on anybody looking for a fight.

This guy proceeds to roll down his window at 30 mph to yell across at me asking what year and engine I have. Upon delivering this information he told me what his was and how he knew the paint was bad but "Baby's a work in progress!" He then lays rubber (after almost stalling) and speeds off. For about 30 yards when he slams on his brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of him. Eventually we got out into open road and the speed limit went to 55 at which point he decided that we were racing. I was about to give in at a light in front a nice straight stretch of 3 lane road when two patrol cars stopped at the light on the intersecting road.

Eventually he turned off and hit the horn a few times. Waving, he faded off into the sun leaving me with a single thought; What is it about this car that gets everyone's love and affection. New or old, people seem to have a mutual respect or appreciation of a fine looking Mustang. I'm not sure where this adventurous lone driver has got too but I look forward to the day I meet him in a copless stretch of abandoned road. Perhaps he'll have fixed that exhaust hanger by then.

Anyway, I've been tooling around the community here and have been very impressed with the sheer size and how helpful this forum and many others are. So, kudos for that.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Maybe it's different in Texas, but I notice that I'll get a look maybe once every 2-3 days. Those few looks though, you can tell what they're thinking haha.

Work in progress is an understatement. I mean, what does it cost to get hangers welded on? I'd think 20-30 bucks tops if you're doing an entire exhaust system, almost all of which would be labor. Maybe one day you'll see him again after he gets that exhaust fixed and a paint job. Hell, I love fixer-uppers.

The mustang community is a large one, and there are plenty that are fascinated by the performance and history of mustangs which is definitely a pro of owning one. Had to take the mustang in this morning for an oil change and ended up talking to the guy at the counter for 10 minutes after he saw my car up on the lift and was wondering if I bought it like that haha. I love talking cars, especially with people I just met (no sarcasm there).

Welcome to the forums, this is a magical place haha
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Yeah seems like it's a conversation piece. My mechanic just looked at it when I brought it to him (I bought used) and just shook his head and smiled. "These cars bring out the sinner in me."
Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

be careful witing up storys like this in the tech section I speak from experience I posted a similar story just for schitts and giggles about 5 days ago and it grew into a monster. It stayed in the tech section for 3 days in turned into a debate about driving speeds on the interstate. finally some adminstrator got irritated with it and kicked it into the OFF Topic section and now those guys are having a lot of fun at my expense. sorry didnt mean to jack your thread. it is a good story just thought I would warn you that a simple little story posted in the wrong section can somehow get out of hand.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Oops. Any admin can feel free to kick it to a more general discussion. Thought I did.

Or maybe I'll post a pic of exhaust hangers or something and try to turn in into tech.