Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting Windows - Suggestions/Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Default Tinting Windows - Suggestions/Help

I am highly considering window tint. I'm looking at doing 30% ceramic style tinting from either of two places in Ohio. Both with lifetime warranties. One uses LLumar tint and the other uses FormulaOne. About $300 at both places. One swamped in appointments, the other not so much. That isn't so much my problem as is the whole idea. When you imagine tint it doesn't ring as classy or good but more cheap or "ghetto" when heard. I want to do it pretty badly. Im talking about 30% all the way around (not front windshield). The pops is obviously highly concerned about all the issues regarding bubbles, discolor, peeling, not looking good, problems with defrosters, etc.
His uncomfortable thoughts with it, is making me also uneasy. Anyone done ceramic style tinting near my percentage, or tinting in general that can give some info to the cons, dangers, etc or basic pros/cons regarding it? Whether that be you did it yourself or had it done. Although I'll be paying for it to be done.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

there is a place in Columbus.. if they are still around, I'd bet my cars life on their work... Mr. Tint I think its called. Its our towards Grove City.. Ill look into it and end up editing this post in about 5 minutes...lol

ok 1 minute... yep that's it... http://www.chipster.us/mrtint2/

They do it right.. had 2 cars done there.

Dudes been around since 1991 and is still in business and doing well. No one does that unless they know wtf they are doing..lol

Last edited by xkape; 04-25-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Are they the ones also called A2Z or whatever. The two I was looking at was Quality Window Tint which had some openings this week. The other was AAP. Automotive Appearance Pros which is booked for about a month. Mercedes dealer said they send their cars to AAP. QWT seemd pretty professional and straight forward. AAP also seemed reliable and good in service as well. Its the process and the whole idea I need info on.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

(Speculation) - The only reason AAP is booked for a month is probably due to them having a deal with Mercedes at Easton and every rich person worth a damn gets their cars there.

Real life - Id go with Mr. Tint all day long..

Window tinting is one of those things that has been arond for so long that, the art is perfected for those that can do it right. When did your dad have his bad experience? 70's, 80's? It was a new or less common thing then.

I do see cars all day long with some s##t *** tint on them, dont get me wrong.. but the cars I see, I figure they bought the film at walmart and did it themselves.

To tint a car properly, you would take the door panels off to make sure the film is always below the sill and does not rub the sill each time you roll the window down.. thats tinting 101 but not everyone does it. Lifetime warranty is a must as most have them now a days. Do it in the spring or fall or winter as you will need to leave your windows up for 2-7 days after its done for curing. If your car is an 05-07, get the 08 window sills as the 05-07's do not have felt on them and will scratch the tint over time.

Its a 2 hour process, give or take.. I have had 4 cars tinted so far.. no issues with defrosting windows, peeling, bubbles, etc.. you just have to go to the right place and get it done right.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
(Speculation) - The only reason AAP is booked for a month is probably due to them having a deal with Mercedes at Easton and every rich person worth a damn gets their cars there.

Real life - Id go with Mr. Tint all day long..

Window tinting is one of those things that has been arond for so long that, the art is perfected for those that can do it right. When did your dad have his bad experience? 70's, 80's? It was a new or less common thing then.

I do see cars all day long with some s##t *** tint on them, dont get me wrong.. but the cars I see, I figure they bought the film at walmart and did it themselves.

To tint a car properly, you would take the door panels off to make sure the film is always below the sill and does not rub the sill each time you roll the window down.. thats tinting 101 but not everyone does it. Lifetime warranty is a must as most have them now a days. Do it in the spring or fall or winter as you will need to leave your windows up for 2-7 days after its done for curing. If your car is an 05-07, get the 08 window sills as the 05-07's do not have felt on them and will scratch the tint over time.

Its a 2 hour process, give or take.. I have had 4 cars tinted so far.. no issues with defrosting windows, peeling, bubbles, etc.. you just have to go to the right place and get it done right.
This helps thanks haha. And know anything about QWT?? Apparently their warranty IS transferable unlike Mr Tint. and is Mr. Tint the same as A2Z or w/e? Probably right about AAP haha. In regards to my dad he has never had a car tinted, he is judging it off what he has seen.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Yeah I think Mr Tint is just.. Mr Tint... but, youd have to ask him to be sure. As for the warranty thing, I dunno.. theres probably a reason for the non transfer.. couldnt say.

The rest of this week, keep yoer eyes peeled for tinted windows. I will bet you two things... 1) most are of good quality (we always notice the bad but never the good) and 2) if you see bad quality, it will be on a car I could buy with a weeks salary (and I am not rich.. just your average middle class dude)
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Pros: looks great (when done correctly), lower in car temperatures during summer, protect interior from damaging UV rays, keeps undesired eyes from seeing into your car
Cons: Night visibility can be reduced if the tint is really dark, might attract unwanted attention from law enforcement

Thats just stuff off the top of my head. Have a reputable place do it, xkape summed up the rest.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Showed him the thread. Unfortunately he is still very skeptical about it. He'll freely let me do what I want with my money (obviously) but does not like the idea at all and i can't really find why... :/
Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

There's another reason besides what he's said. No one using the excuse of messing with what stock does (defrost issues) would be ok with a supercharger, cai, cams, different exhaust, other bling...

Especially when window tint is so common. Name me a stock off the lot mini-van or suv that isn't tinted.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Do you know much info on differences between dyed tint and ceramic tint?

Quick Reply: Tinting Windows - Suggestions/Help