Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Resonators

Old 04-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Default Question about Resonators

My birthday is tomorrow, and I have ordered myself an O/R H pipe as a present. The problem is this: I understand that it will probably have a popping noise when revving, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdeErbaYIhM

My end goal is for the car to sound like this in between shifts(0:25):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1C5bQ2yjzI

Now, my question: What will give me the sound in the second vid? I know his setup, but I'm wondering if resonators would tone the popping noise into more of an aggressive air sucking sound like in the second vid, or if that is just all headers.

ALSO, I am thinking about swapping my 4.10s for some 3.73s. If anyone has had both in their car and wants to give me a comparison, I would appreciate it.

By the way, 21st birthday tomorrow. On a Sunday. In the middle of finals. Gotta have something to look forward to, and car stuff is always fun
Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

bump!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

I think you commented on my post regarding mods. Corsa Axlebacks with XO Pipe is simply hands down the best sounding set-up i've ever heard and I am 110% proud to say I have it on mine. Deep, loud, NO drone. Perfect set up. Has some popping when revving but the sound of it is awesome. I can drown out a parking lot full of imports when I revv, even when they are all revving too.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
I think you commented on my post regarding mods. Corsa Axlebacks with XO Pipe is simply hands down the best sounding set-up i've ever heard and I am 110% proud to say I have it on mine. Deep, loud, NO drone. Perfect set up. Has some popping when revving but the sound of it is awesome. I can drown out a parking lot full of imports when I revv, even when they are all revving too.
I can't afford Corsa or I would have them on my car right now! I am a college kid on a bit of a tight budget. I just got back from putting the H-pipe on and I got blue-lighted while 'testing them out' (thank god that everybody in this town knows me, he didn't stop me). Anyway, my initial impression is that it sounds good, but a little raspy when inside. I'll get a comparison before/after vid up tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
I can't afford Corsa or I would have them on my car right now! I am a college kid on a bit of a tight budget. I just got back from putting the H-pipe on and I got blue-lighted while 'testing them out' (thank god that everybody in this town knows me, he didn't stop me). Anyway, my initial impression is that it sounds good, but a little raspy when inside. I'll get a comparison before/after vid up tomorrow.
Yeaaaaa their pricey haha. You deff get what you pay for though in exhausts. With cars you definitely pay to play. :P
Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Well I'm about to post my before/after h-pipe vid as soon as it converts and uploads. Stay tuned! I need some feedback. I think it sounds better than what I had hoped for on the outside. on the interior it sounds a bit raspy at times.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

The second video, that car is really LOUD. My car use to be loud like that. I got tired of it. Even when not getting on it, it sounded like you were hammering the throttle. Longtubes, cams, offroad midpipe and some small mufflers will get you in the overly loud category. That car does sound amazing. I would like it that loud at the track but not for DD.

What is your current mufflers? An offroad H does sound great and without LTs it will be manageable.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
The second video, that car is really LOUD. My car use to be loud like that. I got tired of it. Even when not getting on it, it sounded like you were hammering the throttle. Longtubes, cams, offroad midpipe and some small mufflers will get you in the overly loud category. That car does sound amazing. I would like it that loud at the track but not for DD.

What is your current mufflers? An offroad H does sound great and without LTs it will be manageable.
I installed the h pipe today. here is a before/after vid. the audio got quieted down a bit when the file was converting so you may have to turn your speakers up a little. skip to 0:40 to hear what it sounds like now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since this h pipe was for stock headers, it won't fit with longtubes, right? My current setup is stock headers, this summit racing o/r h pipe, and roush high performance mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qUAditlAFs
Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Yeah I just watched the video. Sounds amazing............dont change it, its perfect IMO. When you buy longtubes they usually come with a matching H or X pipe. If you were to add LTs you would want to tone it down. IMO it would screw up your tone. You would need resonators to control the trumpeting. Ask me how I know? LOL
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I see we're having a bit of a 2 thread conversation, so I'll stop posting in this one :P But yeah, I know what you mean. My goal was/is to get the 'air sucking' sound in between shifts(like in the second vid in the OP). Judging from my vid, I have accomplished that, even though I couldn't tell from the interior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Resonators