Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the differences between 2005 - 2009 models?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Arrow What are the differences between 2005 - 2009 models?

I am curious about the specific differences between these model years. Is there a list somewhere anyone knows of with a comparison between the five model-years (everything from mechanical, electrical, available options, drivetrain, suspension, engine block materials, etc)?

I'm in the market for another Mustang, and I'm really intent on trying to find something that offers the best overall quality, for the absolute best price.

Basically, I'm going to build the car, and do a full vinyl wrap on it - so I'm just looking for a flawless interior and lowest possible miles, since the engine will be built and forged anyway, and the paint will be covered with 3M vehicle wrap.

THANKS EVERYONE! Any and all thoughts that are more than welcome
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

There really isn't much any difference among them. Really they have the same engine, same transmission, all the big things are the same. Early 05 have the remote lower window feature where holding unlock on your fob rolls the windows down. They removed it in the latter years. Also until 2007 the common problems with TSB's were more prone to occurring than they are on model 2007+. Other than those two they aren't all that different. Newer versus older. Take care of it and it almost doesn't matter. Personally knowing the 05 was the newest S197 to come out, I'd aim toward 07-09 for the better S197 models but that doesn't mean don't buy an 05 or 06 nor does it mean 05 or 06 are bad years.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

If you're yanking the engine, then that takes the biggest change out, being the plug issue change.

Nobody's covered all the minute changes or added options that could be had from the varying years that I know of, but:

automated window rolldown(gone in all later years)

got aux line run to center console for shaker and base audio systems
SJB covering shield to protect from the water leaking TSB
refined some other issues with better parts such as alternator and stepper motors in cluster around mid-production year
HIDs as factory option, or was this 08?

changed the antenna plug
changed to can-bus signal for shaker turn on, leaving the harness turn on unconnected(mid production year again)
got satellite radio as option

got sync readiness in addition

I'm sure there were far more other minor variations of what parts got made where to solve some of the basic TSBs that became apparent from 05-06, but they're not coming to me..The above is all I can think of off-hand.

Last edited by wayne613; 06-12-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:07 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by JJP SuperStang
There really isn't much any difference among them. Really they have the same engine, same transmission, all the big things are the same. Early 05 have the remote lower window feature where holding unlock on your fob rolls the windows down. They removed it in the latter years. Also until 2007 the common problems with TSB's were more prone to occurring than they are on model 2007+. Other than those two they aren't all that different. Newer versus older. Take care of it and it almost doesn't matter. Personally knowing the 05 was the newest S197 to come out, I'd aim toward 07-09 for the better S197 models but that doesn't mean don't buy an 05 or 06 nor does it mean 05 or 06 are bad years.
Originally Posted by wayne613
If you're yanking the engine, then that takes the biggest change out, being the plug issue change.

Nobody's covered all the minute changes or added options that could be had from the varying years that I know of, but:

automated window rolldown(gone in all later years)

got aux line run to center console for shaker and base audio systems
SJB covering shield to protect from the water leaking TSB
refined some other issues with better parts such as alternator and stepper motors in cluster around mid-production year
HIDs as factory option, or was this 08?

changed the antenna plug
changed to can-bus signal for shaker turn on, leaving the harness turn on unconnected(mid production year again)
got satellite radio as option

got sync readiness in addition

I'm sure there were far more other minor variations of what parts got made where to solve some of the basic TSBs that became apparent from 05-06, but they're not coming to me..The above is all I can think of off-hand.
THANK YOU so much gentlemen!

I will narrow my searching down to 2007-2009. (What does TSB mean? Technical Service Bulletins? Anything specific or problematic I should know about?)

It's pretty interesting, if you look hard enough there are still 2005-09's with literally 600-3,000 original miles on this, pretty awesome.

So, the engine block construction material stayed the same every year between 2005-2009? I thought I remembered something about a better version of the steel used in later years? I'm just wondering since I'm going to forge it and go for big power.

I found this on another forum:
07+ models have more trim levels, Shelby, GT500, Bullitt.

07+ models have a different computer which requires a different tuner (if you go with a diablosport) and in some supercharger packages an install kit for them.

07+ models have also more chassis stiffening then the 05-06 models.

07+ models have a better and simpler designed routing for the cooling system.

07+ models come with a TPMS system.

07+ models are usually more expensive.

08+ HID lights and the mood lighting on the interior were options

08+ Improved (revised) head castings, no more break-away spark plug problem

later 08-09 models should have the redesigned cylinder head with the more traditional one piece spark plugs which don't fail when you try to remove them.
Also interesting...
To be exact, the climate control ***** were redesigned for 07-09 models for a better tighter quality feel and smooth racheting for all three ***** during rotation. The ***** are "permanently" attached. On the 05-06 the fan speed **** is more clackety and the temp **** spins free with no ratcheting. The ***** pull off easily The arrangement of the lower buttons is also different. 05-06 is AC/RECIRC/RR DEF while 07-09 is AC/RR DEF/RECIRC.

The early and late designs are fully interchangable and function perfectly, but if you are used to the feel of the 07-09 controls then the 05-06 controls feel like unrefined crap.

Last edited by MAXIMUS-GT; 06-12-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I believe the only other difference engine wise was the heated throttle body in 05. Then Ford realized that wasn't needed and they scrapped it. Thus a lot of 05 owners do the throttle body bypass mod that gives them back a few ponies... Not sure if that was a GT or V6 exclusive, or across all models though.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MAXIMUS-GT
(What does TSB mean? Technical Service Bulletins? Anything specific or problematic I should know about?)
Yes, yes, and here: https://mustangforums.com/mustang-tsb/
So, the engine block construction material stayed the same every year between 2005-2009? I thought I remembered something about a better version of the steel used in later years? I'm just wondering since I'm going to forge it and go for big power.
Specs stayed the same, some bits and bobs changed, the big one, up to mid production year 08, the engine had 2piece plugs that tended to break after any significant carbon buildup, same for the F-150's in that time frame. As you're throwing that out the window...
Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
I believe the only other difference engine wise was the heated throttle body in 05. Then Ford realized that wasn't needed and they scrapped it. Thus a lot of 05 owners do the throttle body bypass mod that gives them back a few ponies... Not sure if that was a GT or V6 exclusive, or across all models though.
Originally Posted by wayne613
Yes, yes, and here: https://mustangforums.com/mustang-tsb/
Specs stayed the same, some bits and bobs changed, the big one, up to mid production year 08, the engine had 2piece plugs that tended to break after any significant carbon buildup, same for the F-150's in that time frame. As you're throwing that out the window...
Since Kenne Bell has it's own throttle body, and I'll be replacing the spark plugs anyway, looks like unless I really want something like interior mood lighting or a stiffer chassis or redesigned cooling system, I can basically go for any model year 2005-2009.

I really do believe after all my research though, a 2007-2009, preferable 08-09 would be the absolute best/factory tweaked model years however. THANKS GUYS!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

There was a running change around January 2007 for the 2007 model year. The rocker panel reinforcement steel was dual-phase for earlier models and high-strength for later models. This is according to the Ford Mustang Workshop Manual that was printed in August 2006. Your guess is as good as mine as to what they actually did and when they did it. Apparently it was less expensive than making these particular changes only for the GT500.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

3.55 gears were standard on manual transmission GTs in '05 and '06. They were only available as an option after that.