Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Clunk...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Default Suspension Clunk...

Well since I installed my BMR suspension with LCAs, Panhard Bar & Brace, and F/R Sway Bars I started having suspension clunking from the rear... after some investigating we found that the rear connection b/w bar and car was loose so I of course tightened them, but a month later the front started making similar noises, after trying to wrench the $#@% out of the bolts, same clunk... so today I took it to the dealership which quickly told me my endlinks were shot. My question is this normal for a car with stock springs, shocks and only 40000 miles? its a 2006 too.

Are there any aftermarket endlinks that anyone would recommend or just get the factory ones?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:55 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Depending on the cost of what they want for stock endlinks, it may be a good time to upgrade.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Well I just went with replacing them w stockers.. Maybe down the road ill get aftermarket ones but they are only charging 230 to replace them, alignment, and balance my wheels and tires... not too bad at all it just sucks to sit around here and drool on the 302s and gt500s....
Old 06-22-2012, 10:21 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

What end links? Tie rods?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

well after waiting there for 5hrs its all fixed!!!! FINALLY! they replaced the tie rods, tightened the sawy bar end links, and balanced my wheels. im just glad its finally over i dealt with the clunking for 3 months lol

I know that a lot of people have horror stories about going to the dealership, but my dealership was awesome today! i only paid for the tie rods & labor, as well as a patch for the rear tire. I wasnt charged for the balancing at all or the time it took to diagnose the problem or tightening of all my suspension components! great service!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by S197GT07
Depending on the cost of what they want for stock endlinks, it may be a good time to upgrade.
I'm glad to see that the OP's story had a happy ending.

Just to further the conversation, UPR makes these adjustable sway bar links and I have a set on my car:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...-05-satin.html

Regarding the tie rod ends, FRPP has an FR500-spec tie rod end kit available which is heavier duty than the factory pieces. I didn't buy these yet because I'm waiting to see if I can put together the dough to buy the FR500 steering rack and tie rod ends at the same time...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

A pleasant trip to the dealer....very cool. I have that dam clunk too. Sucks.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
A pleasant trip to the dealer....very cool. I have that dam clunk too. Sucks.
If you replace the sway bar links, use one of the kits with Urethane bushings, they will last a lot, lot longer. Plus they will be a LOT cheaper than the dealer replacements. It is a very easy DIY job.

Mustangs are notorious for poor ball joints and front LCA bushings, one of these could also be your clunk. Obviously if one of these are your clunk, the problem is serious and the repairs should be done ASAP.

Last edited by Old Mustanger; 06-22-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Some gt500 front LCA'S came yesterday. They are quite heavy and look very stout. I am hoping this will fix my issue.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

its great to finally have a quiet car! haha and thats good to know that UPR carries the links, I definitely want urathane ends tho, I was surprised to see that BMR doesn't carry any for the mustang... hummm but as long as there are alternatives I don't mind.

On a side note, what is the difference between the standard steering rack and the FR500 one? I don't do any road track racing nor drag racing I was just interested from a "spirited daily driver" aspect! haha

Quick Reply: Suspension Clunk...