Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old car, new owner...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Default Old car, new owner...

I traded my 2005 in for my 2012 a couple months ago. This was a dealer who was located 40 miles away from where I live.

When I traded in the 2005, I kept the SCT Tuner, figuring I would just pay SCT to unlock it and get the BAMA tunes for the new car. I haven't gotten around to that yet.

I discovered about 20 minutes ago that the new owner lives in the apartments around the corner from my neighborhood (discovered as I was driving back home this morning).

Here are my questions and what I need your opinions about.

Should I try to make contact with the new owner of my old car? Do you think that the new owner would be offended? My intent is to provide them the opportunity to buy my tuner that is currently locked to that car anyways. Would I possibly be putting myself into an uncomfortable position if they somehow have a mechanical problem and want to blame me? When I traded her in, I had never tracked her and only drove spirited in her, but what if? Should i just leave well enough alone and enjoy my old 'Stang from afar?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to your opinion.

Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 06-26-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

I don't think that would be wrong. In fact you can even give him the opportunity to ask you about stuff done to the car.

He can't blame you for mechanical problems. The dealer sold him the car and (I assume) gave him some type of warranty. Plus the dealer is supposed to go through the car before selling it, so it's on the dealer not you.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

When I traded in my car I left the tuner with it. If you're not going to just give it to the new owner, I wouldn't bother them. Also, I hope its an Xcal 3 or higher.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I would have returned the car to stock and loaded the stock tune. At the very least I would have removed the cold air intake and loaded an 87 oct tune. They could very well be tuned for 93 and putting in 87.

So you left all the mods on the car, but kept the tuner?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
When I traded in my car I left the tuner with it. If you're not going to just give it to the new owner, I wouldn't bother them. Also, I hope its an Xcal 3 or higher.
I did the same.

Mine was an 02, so the CAI wasn't a tune issue. But, it had 4.10's and an o/r pipe. If it wasn't for these things, I would have returned it to stock and kept the tuner. As it was though, I just left the tuner in the trunk. I felt bad enough about trading in the car with a bad wheel (Chrome was flaking to the point that it wasn't holding air for more than a few days) that I kept quiet about, of course that was the stealership's problem and not the new owners

I say keep quiet about the tuner unless you two end up connecting by chance. If it comes up in casual conversation, fine, but don't go out of your way to try to meet the guy to sell him the tuner.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
I did the same.

Mine was an 02, so the CAI wasn't a tune issue. But, it had 4.10's and an o/r pipe. If it wasn't for these things, I would have returned it to stock and kept the tuner. As it was though, I just left the tuner in the trunk. I felt bad enough about trading in the car with a bad wheel (Chrome was flaking to the point that it wasn't holding air for more than a few days) that I kept quiet about, of course that was the stealership's problem and not the new owners

I say keep quiet about the tuner unless you two end up connecting by chance. If it comes up in casual conversation, fine, but don't go out of your way to try to meet the guy to sell him the tuner.
Mine had cams, LT's, and gears. Would cost more to remove the stuff than they were worth so it all stayed. I even explained to the dealer how to use the tuner. Doubt they remembered enough to show the new owner though. Ha, you felt bad about a leaky wheel? My car had been wrecked bad twice, but didn't show up on their report. I kept quiet.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 06-26-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:22 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I left the JLT CAI on there only because when I bought her, she came with a POS Spectre CAI. I couldn't remove the JLT because I didn't have the OEM to put on, and I couldn't reload the stock tune or else she would have been throwing a code and probably drive like crap with the increased airflow from the JLT... I figured I could just get it unlocked for $150 plus get a new BAMA tunes for life for another $150 and for $300 have the tunes and tuner used on my 2012 (versus spending $379 for the new tuner and tunes). I might still do that, but that is why I left the JLT.

Don
Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Man, that sucks. I still have my stock airbox from my 05 in my garage.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't go out of my way to get ahold of the new owner. I don't see any problem with doing so either. I would only ask if I were to just happen to run next to him.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I think it would be better to just watch from afar... The new owner might not appreciate knowing that every custom piece on that car was someone else's idea... And then to know that I can drive by it anytime I want might irk the new owner too...

I will just send off the SCT tuner to get unlocked and then invest in some tunes... Problem solved. Besides I washed my hands of the '05 when I traded her in and I have absolutely no regrets about that at all.

Thanks for the opinions folks.

Don

Quick Reply: Old car, new owner...