Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New or used?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 AM
AdamAV

Default New or used?

What are parts I can buy used and not have a problem with? And what should I definitely buy new?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Is there a particular part you are inquiring about? When you mention used, do you mean refurbished or rebuilt parts?

Don
Old 06-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

OEM parts? aftermarket parts? you'll have to be a little more specific. here's my opinions on typical mod bits that I think you might be referring to

IMO - exhaust pieces, so long as they aren't bent or busted up .. it's just piping. safe to buy used.

I am very particular about my wheel condition so it's hard to find used wheels I would be OK with. I don't mess with used tires either.

intakes .. I hate cleaning filters, I prefer to buy them new, but there is absolutely no reason you can't buy a used one.

suspension bits - I prefer new. seen too many people run into an issue with their coilovers or struts/shocks then sell their $hit off after they've replaced them

superchargers/turbos.. not touching used with a ten foot pole. too much of a gamble to me. even with a skilled mechanic's blessing. I'd rather pony up a little more.

pretty subjective opinions - you can save a lot of money or you can buy some piece of mind. just make sure you're buying from someone honest - I've been burnt before so I do not trust many people when it comes to car bits.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

To build off what Entaille discussed (which I agree with each of hit points), I would have no problem buying used as far as interior pieces as long as I can see it first or have an accurate discussion (like seat covers from take-offs). Same with exterior appearance mods, especially if it will require painting anyways. Electronic items like radios I will almost always pass on used, but that's my paranoia playing there. I hate having to troubleshoot an intermittent electronic problem, e.g. CD player sometimes not playing discs.

Don

Last edited by BigDinTexas; 06-28-2012 at 03:08 PM.