Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loaded V-6 or base GT for 1st Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

My first mustang was a 97 V6 with all the features available at the time. While I enjoyed that car, every one since has been a GT. The V8 is totally worth every penny. As for the comparisons that everyone is throwing out, I'd ignore it. When you buy a car, you're buying a snapshot in time. You can do some modding, but either you're a modder or youre not.

Either way...go with the GT. You can change wheels, suspension, stereos, seats, etc.. etc... all later for a lot cheaper than an engine swap and spread it out over time.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
Current Ford MSRP's...

Base v6: $22k
Premium v6: $26k
Base GT: $30k
Premium GT: $34k
GT500: $55k (thought I see them tested at $63k or so)
As if anyone actually PAYS MSRP...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 PM
JimC

Go with what fits your needs and don't pay attention to the "platform hate"

I went with the V6 for my 2013 - because loaded it had everything I wanted and was about $5,000 less. I knew (as does my wife) that whatever I got would end up modded so I factored in what it is going to cost for the modifications that I plan and the GT would be +$8,000 in the end.

Couldn't get the base GT - I want the premium package. So have to compare the comparable packages. In the end I couldn't justify the extra cost because even though I take mine to the drag strip, I don't need or want a 9 second convertible. With the turbo I can get the V6 to low 11's as I figured the modification (still working on the specs for that project) which is as quick as I want because I don't want to put a full 10 point cage in this car. So the V6 fits all of my needs and goals.

Plus the last trip to the track with my 2006 V6 with the Xcharger Xtreme there were two guys there with new 5.0's. After my first pass one came up to me in the pits and said "we thought you'd be quicker, we can hear the blower screaming" - I finished opening the hood and he then said "what a second -- 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 -- there's only 6 spark plugs! Now I'm impressed" He then turned to the other guy and said "we are getting spanked by a 6" and I then told him that the car also had 201,000 miles on it.

I hadn't ordered the new car yet and that made my decision to go with a V6 again easy. Anyone can mod a V8 and be quick - and if I went with the 5.0 I would have "another modded GT", but instead I will have another unique car that is as quick as I need it to be, and has all the creature comforts (heated leather seats for the cool evenings and spring/fall top down driving) plus all the "bells and whistles" like the track app and other things on the premium.

So decide what you want, what your overall goal is, and buy the car that fits. If the V8 fits go for it, but if you are never going to take the car to the track (and many of you saying you would only have a V8 are never going to use that V8 to its potential so the extra power is meaningless in the long run then) and are trying to decide between the upgraded car or the V8, then maybe you want the upgrades more than the extra power and sound.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Last 4! How many does that make total?

With the additional strain you have placed on the planet, you should probably be looking at a prius. Unless, of course, one of those kids makes cold fusion work.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 PM
briankeene

Originally Posted by moosestang
Last 4! How many does that make total?

With the additional strain you have placed on the planet, you should probably be looking at a prius. Unless, of course, one of those kids makes cold fusion work.
8 total, 4 and 4 from our first marriages. I have custody of all mine. We're on the home stretch. I've been driving mini vans and suvs for 20+ years. My last real car was a 78 Trans Am with a 400 and 4 speed!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

go for a fully loaded 11-12 gt
Old 07-05-2012, 11:41 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
As if anyone actually PAYS MSRP...
I like to pay more. Help out the dealer.

If I could get like 6k off a base gt and could afford insurance id do it in a heartbeat. But all i can afford is the insurance on the 6:/
Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 AM
MiniD

The V6 is a great car. You buy it because you like it more than other V6 cars in it's price range. The GT is more. If you're looking for more, get the GT, if you're just looking for a car you really like, get the V6.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:17 AM
dylan's5.0
1st Gear Member

id rock the GT IMO. I just bought a 2011 Gt premium. came with the electronics package and everything but didnt come with HID's or heated seats and 3.73's :/ LOL. But the power is DEF. Nice. sooooo easy to pass people on the highway,road. without flooring it. easy car to drive and handles great. first Mustang, first ford. and all i can say is if ford keeps making mustangs like this i will be buying more in the future.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Unless, of course, one of those kids makes cold fusion work.
lol moose

The new sixxers are nice, just don't regret whatever you get OP. That is what sucks when it happens. I bought my 2012 GT premium with a $35650 msrp for $28500 brand new 3 weeks ago... They had 6 left over 2012s and I grinded the **** out of them, lol. Mine had 7 miles on the clock...

Last edited by Mudflap; 07-06-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Loaded V-6 or base GT for 1st Mustang?