Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky MGW Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Stuntman Mike

Default Squeaky MGW Shifter?

All,

I picked up a 2nd hand MGW off of ebay and installed it last weekend. I've got to say, the quality of that unit was just as incredible as everyone claims! I got a black MGW classic ball from the forum classifieds as well. Looks really clean after installation.

BUT, it also squeaks. Not a rattle like I had with my Hurst, but a squeak. It doesn't even necessarily occur when I go over a bump / speedbump / whatever. It happens more when the car is moving, but I can make it happen to a lesser degree even when the engine is shut off and the car is parked. I suspect it's in one of two places:

1) The poly bushing at the front of the shifter, since the squeaking sounds similar to squeaky suspension bushings. But the squeak sounds like it's coming from closer than that, and I don't know that I would be able to hear it if it were in that location anyway.

2) The factory rubber boot that gets stretched back over the shifter during the installation. There was a lot of rubber at the upper, narrow portion of the boot where the "L" shaped MGW adjustable bracket and shift **** shaft had to be reinstalled. I did my best so peel the rubber back / push it down to give as much clearance as I could for that bracket, but now I think the boot may be rubbing against itself.

So before I pull it apart tomorrow I thought I'd pose the question to all of you to see if any of you had a similar experience? If I'm right in regard to reason #2 above, I'd rather not have to cut away any of the boot. I was thinking maybe some o-ring lube on the chafing surfaces, or something like that?

Any information / insight is appreciated!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Woodys2718

If you can hear it when the car is parked, I'd crawl underneath the car and have someone try to replicate, maybe you can pinpoint where it's coming from then... if it's down below.

I've had my MGW for about 2 years now... no squeaks.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Stuntman Mike

Time for a follow-up post. It turns out that it was neither of the things that I thought it could be:

First off, the front bushing isn't poly and I'd forgotten that it had a metal sleeve on the bushing inner diameter.

So I systematically started removing shifter bits. Removed the shifter shaft and the "L" bracket: Still made the squeak. Removed the rubber boot but reinstalled the shaft and bracket: Still made the squeak! And let me tell you that you have no idea how much road / wind noise that boot keeps out until it's not there!

Here's where things get interesting: With the boot still removed, I took the bracket and shift **** shaft back off. I put the car in neutral, let off the brake a little and rolled a few inches down the driveway. Squeaked when I started rolling and sqeuaked when I stopped rolling. And I could see that it would squeak when the shifter was moving fore / aft relative to the chassis. I thought, "Hmmm, could it be the metal to metal interface where the shifter slides on the bracket?" Sure enough, a spritz of white lithium grease on each post, and a few trips coasting down the driveway was all it took for the squeak to go away.

So the place where I least thought it would've squeaked was exactly where it was coming from. Go figure! And I didn't even have to climb back under the car. Sweet!!!

It sounds like I'm the only one who has had this issue, but at least know I know. And knowing is half the battle . . .
Old 12-29-2015, 12:43 PM
rarert

Default picture

Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike
Time for a follow-up post. It turns out that it was neither of the things that I thought it could be:

First off, the front bushing isn't poly and I'd forgotten that it had a metal sleeve on the bushing inner diameter.

So I systematically started removing shifter bits. Removed the shifter shaft and the "L" bracket: Still made the squeak. Removed the rubber boot but reinstalled the shaft and bracket: Still made the squeak! And let me tell you that you have no idea how much road / wind noise that boot keeps out until it's not there!

Here's where things get interesting: With the boot still removed, I took the bracket and shift **** shaft back off. I put the car in neutral, let off the brake a little and rolled a few inches down the driveway. Squeaked when I started rolling and sqeuaked when I stopped rolling. And I could see that it would squeak when the shifter was moving fore / aft relative to the chassis. I thought, "Hmmm, could it be the metal to metal interface where the shifter slides on the bracket?" Sure enough, a spritz of white lithium grease on each post, and a few trips coasting down the driveway was all it took for the squeak to go away.

So the place where I least thought it would've squeaked was exactly where it was coming from. Go figure! And I didn't even have to climb back under the car. Sweet!!!

It sounds like I'm the only one who has had this issue, but at least know I know. And knowing is half the battle . . .
I have a 2013 gt. Same problem. Is it possible to post a pic of where you're saying you loved? Thanks
Old 12-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the MGW owners club. I have one of the original, Beta group when they were first shipped on my 2006 GT. Way over 100K miles on it without the slightest problem. They have sent me a couple of upgrade parts as they became available-no charge. I have an MGW on my '06 and also in my '85 GT. Love 'em both.