Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only $370K....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alan0614
That had to be a cool experience. You were lucky.
There are two surviving Tuskegee airmen in our small town, and one in the next county here in NC.( he is the one I spoke with two weeks ago) I have had the honor of meeting them all in the last couple of years. Their presence is truly impressive to say the least, and you're right I was definitely lucky to be able to meet them. It's sad that the WWII vets are dying at a rate of about 700 a day now. They gave so much.

It's kind of odd though that one of my Grandfathers flew for the Luftwaffe, and the other flew for the Navy in the pacific theater during the war.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
On a side note, he had quite a few original pictures that he took from his days serving in the European theater during the war. Just some incredible images, most that have not been seen by a lot of people.
You should talk him into letting someone scan those photo's and post them on the net somewhere. I'm sure someone has an up and running site devoted those airmen that'd love to have the access.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Just proves that there will always be someone willing to spend way too much for a car. In this case, they spent 10 times what the car is actually worth.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
Just proves that there will always be someone willing to spend way too much for a car. In this case, they spent 10 times what the car is actually worth.
You know the big CEO's do it more for charity than for the actual car.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alan0614
Too rich for me and I don't like the wheels.
Please tell me if you had $370k you would not buy this....
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 AM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

They charge so much for these cars because all of the money goes to charity, not because they think the car's worth three hundred ****ing grand....
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4LiterSonic
They charge so much for these cars because all of the money goes to charity, not because they think the car's worth three hundred ****ing grand....
I don't care where the money goes. The car ain't worth $370k. I'd rather have a Boss 302 LS or new GT-350 than this monstrosity. In fact I could get both the Boss and the Shelby, have two cars infinitely more collectible, and STILL have change left over to buy a Ford GT.

If I were to ever meet the new owner, I'd have to spend a few minutes laughing and pointing...
Old 07-31-2012, 06:58 PM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

I don't care where the money goes. The car ain't worth $370k. I'd rather have a Boss 302 LS or new GT-350 than this monstrosity. In fact I could get both the Boss and the Shelby, have two cars infinitely more collectible, and STILL have change left over to buy a Ford GT.

If I were to ever meet the new owner, I'd have to spend a few minutes laughing and pointing...
And he would do the same at you. As stated above this purchase was probably viewed as a donation. To him it wasn't about going out and buying a awesome car. It was a donation to a cause he felt deserved the money. Have you never been to a benefit?? People pay 10x more for silly things like ipods and stuff because its a donation to who ever is in need.. The car? Thats his souvenir. He is the guy who made a 370k donation and tax write off.

So while youre laughing you will probably never see this car because if I had to guess its probably parked next to a Lambo or what ever his heart truly desires.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

The money goes to the EAA Young Eagles program, which I'm personally affiliated with. I went on many Young Eagles rides as a kid, and I'm a full EAA member now.

It is a damn fine cause. Aviation isn't cheap, and the more kids we can get involved in it, the fewer of them get into drugs and gang violence.

Also keep in mind that this is tax deductible.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 PM
JimC

It isn't the price of the car - the guy who buys it can afford it and will be laughing at you all the way to his bank (and cpa and tax attorney) because he has a unique car and a HUGE tax deduction that he needs because of the big income he has. He probably could simply donate the cash, but then he wouldn't have the souvenir and the notoriety that comes with making a big donation. The car only affects the amount he can deduct, and that will be based upon the fair market value of a 2013 Mustang GT.

And this one of one is more of a collectible than any Boss 302 or even GT350 will be since there is only one of these.