Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another gear thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:33 PM
dylan's5.0
1st Gear Member

Default another gear thread.....

ok so i been looking around. And besides the Boss 302 intake manifold and a throttle body i wanna do gears. I want 3.73's but i hear 4.10's would be awesome in the automatic's??? Just wondering if any one heas gears in their auto's and seeing how they like em. 3.73's ill get better highway mileage and thats a plus but to be honest i didnt buy the car for MPG other wise i woulda bought a civic or a kia lol. I do street/cruises on the weekend though. Alot of highway roll races or digs. So not to sure about how 4.10's are from a dig. Just dont wanna kill the car to much lol. Honestly for the price $500ish for gears installed id rather drop that money on the IM first and put it on myself. But wanna make up my list of stuff :P opinions?! BTW just got my first to mods in the mail today......bama tune and steeda intake

Car: 2011 5.0 auto.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:25 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

congrats on your new mods.
in Hawaii, you aren't going to go that fast anyways on the highways, so having steep gears aren't really going to effect your mpg's significantly.
i cant really recommend which gear to get, but the AT 1st gear ratio is already a steep one.
check out our local website for stuff going on locally
http://www.hawaiiperformancemustangs...orum/index.php

are you on schofield?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:48 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dylan's5.0
ok so i been looking around. And besides the Boss 302 intake manifold and a throttle body i wanna do gears. I want 3.73's but i hear 4.10's would be awesome in the automatic's??? Just wondering if any one heas gears in their auto's and seeing how they like em. 3.73's ill get better highway mileage and thats a plus but to be honest i didnt buy the car for MPG other wise i woulda bought a civic or a kia lol. I do street/cruises on the weekend though. Alot of highway roll races or digs. So not to sure about how 4.10's are from a dig. Just dont wanna kill the car to much lol. Honestly for the price $500ish for gears installed id rather drop that money on the IM first and put it on myself. But wanna make up my list of stuff :P opinions?! BTW just got my first to mods in the mail today......bama tune and steeda intake

Car: 2011 5.0 auto.
dylan's5.0,

I agree with onederful100, you should try out the 4.10's and never look back! The acceleration is insane, and definitely worth the cash invested. 4.10's will be killer from a dig, as long as you have a drag radial and can hook. Otherwise, you're going to be spinning badly.

Also, let me know how you like your CAI/Bama setup! It's a great stepping stone as far as mods go. Especially since we'll be able to easily adjust your speedo when you have the gears installed.

Thanks for your business and support. Hope this helps some!

Shane
Old 08-02-2012, 07:08 PM
dylan's5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
congrats on your new mods.
in Hawaii, you aren't going to go that fast anyways on the highways, so having steep gears aren't really going to effect your mpg's significantly.
i cant really recommend which gear to get, but the AT 1st gear ratio is already a steep one.
check out our local website for stuff going on locally
http://www.hawaiiperformancemustangs...orum/index.php

are you on schofield?
OH ****! whats up man. Nah im at tripler. I know me and one of poole's friends has a grey 5.0. I roll with you guys on the weekends lol. With all the vettes and stuff, Gto's ECT....Wait are you the supercharged bullit? I cant really tell from the pics in your sig. and i have heard of HPM seeing 3/4th the mustangs at the cruise rock the sticker lol

Last edited by dylan's5.0; 08-02-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:11 PM
dylan's5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
dylan's5.0,

I agree with onederful100, you should try out the 4.10's and never look back! The acceleration is insane, and definitely worth the cash invested. 4.10's will be killer from a dig, as long as you have a drag radial and can hook. Otherwise, you're going to be spinning badly.

Also, let me know how you like your CAI/Bama setup! It's a great stepping stone as far as mods go. Especially since we'll be able to easily adjust your speedo when you have the gears installed.

Thanks for your business and support. Hope this helps some!

Shane
Yeah me and my wife were in the market for tires as the next mod. She needs nitto's or something BAD lol. I took off from a light maybe half throttle the other day and spun completely through the light lol. i will never understand why ford thought it was smart to put 235's stock on a car rated at 412hp at the crank......I might just get some falken fk452's to hold me over till i get the wheel and tire package from you guys. I can fit a 265 on the stock rim correct? or am i limited to 255?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:50 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

OH ****! whats up man. Nah im at tripler. I know me and one of poole's friends has a grey 5.0. I roll with you guys on the weekends lol. With all the vettes and stuff, Gto's ECT....Wait are you the supercharged bullit? I cant really tell from the pics in your sig. and i have heard of HPM seeing 3/4th the mustangs at the cruise rock the sticker lol
i have the Whipple SC'd 07 GT.
theres a big cruise night on the 18th with a burnout contest and wet t shirt contest

the tune should make a big difference with firming the shifting and throttle response.
my dads 08 AT with 3.31's was a huge difference with the tune alone.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
dylan's5.0
1st Gear Member

theres a big cruise night on the 18th with a burnout contest and wet t shirt contest

the tune should make a big difference with firming the shifting and throttle response.
Well imma give it a few days for the tune to "break in" last night I could feel a little more pep. Not much but me and the wife could tell it was eccelerating with ease now. But this morning I mashed it a couple times getting on the highway and just changing lanes 50mph I got up to 100 in what felt like maybe 1.5-2sec lol. But she will be ready for any goats or vette that come now lol. Cept te new Z06's haha. Intake install was easy for the most part but Jesus Christ those instructions suck. I rushed it getting it outta the box and into the car cuz I was racing daylight. Had to use my phone flashlight lol. And left the black film on the actual air box thing that's supposed to be chrome. O well lol. Not into chromed out engine bays. But I got the steeda stocked to stick to it lol. All in all I'm happy about it. Imma data log it tonight and send to bama tomorrow. Tune kinda feels like it needs tweaking a little. I kinda gotta 1/4-1/2 throttle to accelerate like normal but when I floor it all hell breaks loose lol
Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 PM
dylan's5.0
1st Gear Member

also was surfing around on the HPM forum and saw the 8/26 Dyno day can i attend? I wanted to get slotted for probably 0920-0940 either or. I wanna try and get my lethal performance x-pipe by then. hope to be around the 410whp mark with all the mods.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:18 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

also was surfing around on the HPM forum and saw the 8/26 Dyno day can i attend? I wanted to get slotted for probably 0920-0940 either or. I wanna try and get my lethal performance x-pipe by then. hope to be around the 410whp mark with all the mods.
yea, sure you can. just stop by the shop, i think the address is posted in that OP.
i'm sure it wont fill up, there should be some empty spots you can just take one of those.
or just sign up on the forum and post up what time you want.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Yeah me and my wife were in the market for tires as the next mod. She needs nitto's or something BAD lol. I took off from a light maybe half throttle the other day and spun completely through the light lol. i will never understand why ford thought it was smart to put 235's stock on a car rated at 412hp at the crank......I might just get some falken fk452's to hold me over till i get the wheel and tire package from you guys. I can fit a 265 on the stock rim correct? or am i limited to 255?
dylan's5.0,

I completely understand, that's not a bad idea. Our wheel/tire packages are always a killer deal. For the factory rims, I wouldn't go any bigger then a 255, unfortunately. Even a 255 is pretty big for the skinny factory wheels.

Not sure if you already have our MustangForum discount code already, but if you don't, just shoot me a PM and I'll gladly hook you up! The only requirement is to have 50+ posts, so you're eligible if you want the code for a wheel/tire package!

Shane

Quick Reply: another gear thread.....