Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 5.0 intake/tune experience, going full circle

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:57 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

i will def let you know what i end up doing. gotta clarify some things i said earlier. just went back and read my post. the steeda tune i ran for months just didnt seem to have a lot of low end torque and made it to where i was always having to get the car in the rpm range to feel the power, which sucks down a lot of gas. plus my car has been running really rich and i have been searching for solutions for a few months now. already replaced the drivers side upstream o2 sensor(myself) bc ford says no light on no problem found when all they would have to do is look at the positive long term fuel trim. been upwards to +18-20% and no light has ever been on till last week. p0151 which is low voltage on the o2 sensor on bank 2(drivers side upstream). im about to replace the other upstream sensor too to see if they were both going bad and then im taking it to a shop close by that has a dyno and im going to put it on the dyno and see what the air to fuel is all the way up to wot and at wot. sucks that ford wont do some diag to try and find why my car burns so much fuel but they dont touch it unless there is a light to tell them exactly what it needs. oh well i work for a land rover dealer and we have an account with a ford dealer and i get parts at the dealers cost. which is about half price. o2 sensor at dealer is $96 and i get them for $65 plus tax. and have it put on for a 12 pack of beer or a bottle of whiskey. cant beat that. lol
while driving home today i know why i dont want to go back to stock. the race tune i have on it now from doug at c&l is amazing when my car feels like running right. touchy throttle lots of low end torgue to make the butt dyno happy. but the car is still only getting 12.5-14.5 mpg. and doesnt seem to start up with the growl that it once had. hit the gas and the roush mufflers come roaring to life but at idle they are really quite. which is my im thinking the air to fuel is off at idle and start up. that or i could have a clogged cat from all the unburnt fuel that has been going thru the cats. def away to mess up cats. just dont know what else to check. but i have some techs where i work that will help me with whatever i need if ford wont help out. hopefully the dyno time will let me datalog a couple of pulls and have the tuner at the shop take a look and also send a copy to doug and see what they both think. wish me luck. lol
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

"This has all been a bit of a surprise, as my experience with the 4.6L was that the tunes/intake made drastic improvements, especially on the automatics."

def agree 100% with this statement. its the reason i tuned the '12. my 06 07 and 08 were all tuned with a cai and all felt worlds better than stock.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoshpitMad
I'm not doubting how it feels to him, just saying driveability can be demonstrated with dyno's as well. You would be able to see torque gains down low, etc. I don't doubt his experience or knowledge on the subject.

Wish I could meet some Mustang owners. I went to a Cars n Coffee here in the Springs on Saturday and not 1 Mustang owner came to talk to me when I pulled in. There were at least 10 cars there, and I stood outside their circle for about 10 minutes before I walked off. Never got a look, or a chance to speak to anyone. Kind of disappointing.
brochowski - this is how it is at any car function. people show up with their known friends and kinda hang out with them and shoot the **** the entire time .. but they are all car guys. they are going to talk back to anyone that approaches them and introduces themselves. especially owners of the same vehicle.

I see a lot of people awkwardly standing around at car events.. it's as social as you want to make it, rarely are people going to approach you, you gotta do the approaching.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:56 PM
knightryder
1st Gear Member

Mudflap, I know exactly where you are coming from. I see it all the time on the Victory motorcycle forums where people get too preoccupied with peak hp numbers which occur at the high rpm range of the engine which is not where most people operate in daily driving. My 11 GT is still stock and is still a blast to drive.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Sethman29
1st Gear Member

Very impressive!! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this review, it's very reassuring. I can't wait to jump in to these mods. FRPP for me! I originally wanted roush axel-backs, then decided gt500's but i've recently been very pleased that the stocks have broken in! How much is the entire package from ford including mufflers, filter, procal etc... (not including install)

Thanks!!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sethman29
Very impressive!! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this review, it's very reassuring. I can't wait to jump in to these mods. FRPP for me! I originally wanted roush axel-backs, then decided gt500's but i've recently been very pleased that the stocks have broken in! How much is the entire package from ford including mufflers, filter, procal etc... (not including install)

Thanks!!
No problem man, my hope was to provide some information so that maybe someone else wouldn't have to go through the expense and scenarios I did. It is worth noting, that for anyone planning to go beyond the intake/tune level of modification, that they should absolutely go the aftermarket custom tune route. The FRPP tune is limited in scope, it can't be updated for future mods, etc.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/power-pack-2011-gt.html

Last edited by code3GT; 10-19-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the taking the time (and patience) to post a review up here man. You're quite a meticulous person when it comes to these things, and it definitely helps anyone in the market looking to purchase a tuner / etc.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

The issue with the 5.0 is that when you add 30 RWHP to a car that already has 370 RWHP .. it is not gonna be as noticable as adding 30 RHWP to car that has 270 RWHP ... That is why tunes always felt stronger on the 4.6.

I just installed the Bama/JLT Carbon Fiber CAI on my car. Idles great and sounds great and awesome engine compartment eye candy. Definitely feels like it has more power above 4000 RPM as per the butt dyno. I did initially have some issues with it surging at partial throttle but its all pretty much gone now. I use my car to commute and I haven't noticed anything different in the drivebility characteristics.

I was thinking about just going with the FRPP setup so I had the 3 year warranty but I read a bunch of threads about the FRPP pinging to decided not to go that route. Instead I just went with BAMA and the #8 warranty.

Also keep in mind you have the pay the dealer to install the FRPP kit .. so figure $100 install just for the Tune and Filter or $200 for the Power Pak with the mufflers.

Last edited by dmhines; 08-07-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dmhines
The issue with the 5.0 is that when you add 30 RWHP to a car that already has 370 RWHP .. it is not gonna be as noticable as adding 30 RHWP to car that has 270 RWHP ... That is why tunes always felt stronger on the 4.6.
Both that and it weighs 3600lbs, which is almost 300lbs more than the 05 style.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Both that and it weighs 3600lbs, which is almost 300lbs more than the 05 style.
WOW! Does my 2012 really weigh that much more than my 05 did?

Off to scour the interwebz for confirmation... LOL...

Don

Quick Reply: My 5.0 intake/tune experience, going full circle