Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a squeak

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:13 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Default Need help with a squeak

So here it is, the age old S197 question, where is my squeak coming from now? I have a metal on metal squeak that comes out around 50 mph and up and doesn't go away until I am under 40. It happens under every circumstance except full throttle, but I might just not be able to hear it then too. I'll start by saying I doubt it is the exhaust, I re-tightened everything and check for rubbing, couldn't find any. It happened before my CMDP's, cams, and lowering so I know it's not that. At this point, I think it is something suspension/brake related because it is so consistent with speed but not with rpms, so what are some things that will make a metal on metal noise that sounds like it coming from the front end after 7 years? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am going insane over here.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:27 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

I know this may not help you, but I stopped chasing squeaks a long time ago. What ive noticed about these cars is that once you find how to stop one noise, you will begin to hear another. Now I roll the window down and turn up the tunes, which solves the interior rattles.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

It isn't an interior rattle, I deal with those, it is a loud squeak that can be heard outside the car. I am more afraid that it is something that is ready to break soon since I can't find the source of it.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

I feel you man, sometime i wish it would break, at least id know where to look at, i have two very anoying noise coming from rear, good things my Car is damn loud, and im putting back my
Hot rods, hopefully will be louder then the noise itself, cant
Find the source;(
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

One more thing I should add, I can't remember if it does it with my winter wheels or not, but could a bent wheel lead to a squeak like this? I know my passenger front wheel is slightly bent.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Can you list all the mods you have done?

Check the Universal joints. Sometimes with lowering the angle between the drive shaft & pinion gets to be almost nil. Check the angle in the as-driven condition (with someone in the seat). With a near zero angle, the needle bearings don't rotate, so they don't get greased & dry out & fail. They do usually squeak before they fail.

This is worth checking, a drive shaft failure at speed can do horrendous damage to the car and you.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:11 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I have an intake, tune, full exhaust with shorty headers, lowered, wheels, tires, lower control arms, cams, and charge motion deletes. It should also be noted that I got a dyno tune a few months ago, and although the noise happened on the ride there and back, it never happened while on the dyno. I think that should rule out all engine/transmission/driveshaft and rear end noises and limit it to front end things like wheels, tires, breaks, etc.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'd still suspect the exhaust hangers. Mine wouldn't squeak until a certain speed and would go away if I stomped on it. Just wrap something around the hangers after the axle and see if the squeak goes away. The whole exhaust will move around .
Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I'll have to look into that, seemed pretty solid but it is definitely a tight fit under there.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm telling you, those hangers on the axle backs will move back enough that the vertical bar will touch the metal of the hanger attached to the car.

Quick Reply: Need help with a squeak