Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Jump to GT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Default V6 Jump to GT?

For the GT owners out there who once owned a V6, do you recommend the jump to at GT?

I own a 2012 Mustang V6, and I am thinking of trading that in and purchasing a 2013 Mustang GT (I'm going to get the Track Package so that I get the Brembo's, the bigger radiator, oil cooler, etc.). Do you all recommend jumping to this? I've worked out my financing in a way that it should only cost be about an extra $50-$60/month, so it seems like a good idea.

My big issue, I have to drive this thing in the Ohio winter. 4-5 big snow storms per year (usually max is 5). I plan on getting some Blizzaks (dealer agreed to install them free of charge), and I also plan on getting the Ziebart seal on the paint and underbody (rust free guarantee).

Those are the worst conditions I'll have to drive in. So knowing what I'll have to put the car through, would you recommend the GT?

I'm just looking for someone to let me know if they really are glad they jumped from the V6 to the GT. I don't go to the track, I just drive my car everywhere, and love cleaning and caring for it. If the GT is that much more fun, I think I'll do this.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:43 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Never owned a V6 Mustang, but I can't see you being any worse off in snow in the GT than in the V6, assuming you go with good winter tires. The V6 has more than enough torque to get you in trouble in snow, so throttle modulation in either car will be key. Does that 50-60 a month include the hit you'll take trading in the 2012?
Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Why don't you go test drive a 5.0
Old 08-23-2012, 03:47 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Never owned a V6 Mustang, but I can't see you being any worse off in snow in the GT than in the V6, assuming you go with good winter tires. The V6 has more than enough torque to get you in trouble in snow, so throttle modulation in either car will be key. Does that 50-60 a month include the hit you'll take trading in the 2012?
i went with a smaller term length on my initial loan, so i already have positive equity on the V6. so the v6 will contribute to the loan on the GT. solid advice though, i appreciate it! i've yet to read a review that said the V6 was a more enjoyable ride than the GT, so it would seem like i should be making this purchase. with the track pack i also get 3.73 gears (the v6 had 2.73), and i read a forum saying that starts in snow are easier with 3.73 gears because you can use higher gears more easily.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

My 2011 GT is my winter car.Stock tires. NO trouble in the snow here in Delaware.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
i went with a smaller term length on my initial loan, so i already have positive equity on the V6. so the v6 will contribute to the loan on the GT. solid advice though, i appreciate it! i've yet to read a review that said the V6 was a more enjoyable ride than the GT, so it would seem like i should be making this purchase. with the track pack i also get 3.73 gears (the v6 had 2.73), and i read a forum saying that starts in snow are easier with 3.73 gears because you can use higher gears more easily.
Yeah, if you're getting a manual I'd go with whatever rear gears will be most enjoyable to you in non-winter driving. You can always start off in 2nd when it's slick out.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I think the only way to really answer your question is to go test drive a 5.0. A test drive may not be quite long enough for you to know for sure, but it will give you an idea.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Mob Bomber
1st Gear Member

I've never owned a V6 Mustang. In fact this is my first Mustang I've ever owned. I went with the GT for all the positive reviews and I didn't want to regret getting a V6. Everyone else is right thou. You need to go test drive one first to make sure you are comfortable with the subtle changes between the models. As for driving in the snow. All it takes is a good set of winter tires and you being smart about driving. I've always had 2wd rear wheel drive vehicles and never had any problems in the snow.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Because of the much higher torque, you'll need to be super-sensitive on the gas pedal. But you'll be butt-puckered to the seat, no matter WHAT tires, no matter how careful.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

If you are going for a Track Pack you better do it soon.

Quick Reply: V6 Jump to GT?