Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Confirms EcoBoost Engine, IRS For 2015 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
If they add a four banger which they are.... its fine with me AS LONG as they keep the other engines in too as choices.
If they take them out. That is a critical error I think as far as U.S. sales is concerned.

Let's remember how much praise the Mustang has got in recent years BECAUSE of bringing back the 5.0, BOSS, and the Shelby which all have big engines.
Americans love their big engines.
And don't tell me they can't keep them because of gas mileage. Our technology has made gas mileage SO much better with big engines and technology can always increase.
'Big' compared to what? There was a time when the 302 and 351 were considered 'small block' engines. Its a relative term and we've gotten used to having 4 or 6 cyl in most cars and even trucks/SUV's. If we love our big engines and cars so much then why are there so few being built? Yes technology has allowed us to have great power and great gas mileage but look how long it took to get to this level of affordable performance? The green nut cases and our entrenched government bureaucracy that has been packed with these radical no growth types doesn't give a rat's *** what Americans want in their cars, or in their homes for that matter. They would just as soon have us all in public transportation. Want 93 octane in California, sorry can't have it. In the 80's Sunoco was the last one selling anything over 93 oct here in PA. I'm not sure went away but one day you didn't see it anywhere. How about the CARB certification for aftermarket parts. No cert then you can't sell in most markets. How many cool parts never come to market because of that? My point is that car companies would like nothing more then to give us what we want, that's the idea of being in business. So why don't they? They don't have any choice. They are fighting not just global competition but a government that dictates what they can build and sell (not to mention is hamstring our efforts to develop our own oil and gas industries). That means less and less freedom of choice for you and I. New technologies takes time and money to get right AND to make it affordable. They have to find a way to survive and be profitable company first and that may mean a focus on performance but it may mean dropping it all together because the market is shrinking to a smaller and smaller few that can afford it. The technological development is focused on small. That's the future. I don't like and you don't like it. And they whole damn country is pretty pissed off in general. Vote for those who understand and speak up for individual liberty, from the local level on up, and push back hard against those who don't.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MiniD
It seems it's more important to be happy with what you have than complaining about something you don't want. I don't understand the handwringing over this. Mustangs have had their good and bad moments in the past. They'll have them again in the future. In the grand scheme of things, it won't affect anyone in any meaningful way.
At least from my perspective. the "handwringing" as you call it is not so much whether the Mustang keeps a particular style/performance per se. It has more to do with the government imposing its will upon the car manufacturers and, ultimately, the People. If the Mustang turns into an eco box, it is because the government willed it - just like the Mustang II.

"In the grand scheme of things" such an exercise of government power will affect most citizens of our country in lots of meaningful ways. Its not just about the Mustang.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by jimkaray
'Big' compared to what? There was a time when the 302 and 351 were considered 'small block' engines. Its a relative term and we've gotten used to having 4 or 6 cyl in most cars and even trucks/SUV's. If we love our big engines and cars so much then why are there so few being built? Yes technology has allowed us to have great power and great gas mileage but look how long it took to get to this level of affordable performance? The green nut cases and our entrenched government bureaucracy that has been packed with these radical no growth types doesn't give a rat's *** what Americans want in their cars, or in their homes for that matter. They would just as soon have us all in public transportation. Want 93 octane in California, sorry can't have it. In the 80's Sunoco was the last one selling anything over 93 oct here in PA. I'm not sure went away but one day you didn't see it anywhere. How about the CARB certification for aftermarket parts. No cert then you can't sell in most markets. How many cool parts never come to market because of that? My point is that car companies would like nothing more then to give us what we want, that's the idea of being in business. So why don't they? They don't have any choice. They are fighting not just global competition but a government that dictates what they can build and sell (not to mention is hamstring our efforts to develop our own oil and gas industries). That means less and less freedom of choice for you and I. New technologies takes time and money to get right AND to make it affordable. They have to find a way to survive and be profitable company first and that may mean a focus on performance but it may mean dropping it all together because the market is shrinking to a smaller and smaller few that can afford it. The technological development is focused on small. That's the future. I don't like and you don't like it. And they whole damn country is pretty pissed off in general. Vote for those who understand and speak up for individual liberty, from the local level on up, and push back hard against those who don't.
Easy to answer... big as compared to what most other cars are now days.
You kinda answered your own question as to why we don't sell so many.
Because of what regulations are trying to be enforced.

However...as I said I think we can keep up the tech to keep big engines in some cars as of now.
The Mustang is one car that has enjoyed a large engine "luxury" in models for many years now.
It should be one and if not one of... the last car to see the big engine go completely.
Especially when you consider where Ford is compared to the other makers in standing with it's performance, price, and praise
on the Mustang currently!!!!!

Sure I think eventually small engines may take over (Yeah WILL is the word but I cringe to use it), and maybe sooner rather than later.
But as of now we are able to keep up with the regulations.
That is why I believe offering a four banger is a good idea BUT getting rid of the bigger engines all together is a BAD thing right now.
ESPECIALLY with how much Ford has upped the competition in the past few years with the big engines.

People all over the country now look at Ford as the king when it comes to
the "new" muscle car era that we went into a few years back.
While I believe they need to do the same with the other market, I think it would be FOOLISH to just throw away the strides they have made recently. ESPECIALLY in the U.S.

I do agree we need to vote and voice for what we believe in or else we very well could see the end of this era.
But I do not believe this era is up. We can still make the cars with the big engines, make them handle regulations, and make them affordable.
I mean hell the 5.0 just came out!

If they knew (which they did) when the 5.0 came out, the BOSS, and the new bigger engined GT500 came out that regulations etc would still be growing.... and they decided... "Hey.. we will design a whole new engine, the new 5.0, the first to be ONLY for the Mustang, sell it for two years, then toss it.".... then Ford would have some of the STUPIDEST people in the world making decisions in my opinion.

No....there's just no sense to trashing that engine after all that effort after such a short time.

If they did... and this era is REALLY almost at an end, Ford would be waving the white flag on this era when the other
competitor's were still going, and doing so when they were leading!
It's not ALWAYS good to quit while you are ahead in ALL cases.

The "big" engines of today are not dead yet.
Not Ford's, not Chevy's, and MAYBE not Dodge (haha)
To kill the Mustang's 5.0 right now in the U.S. would be Ford sending it
to an early grave when there is no need for such a thing.
Not only that... but still money to be made and a trophy for this era to be earned

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-28-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Can you imagine how great an ecoboost 4 cylinder will SOUND?
I'd just as soon see Ford just kill the Mustang rather than go the Honda route.
There will still be V8s, they are not going to kill that.

However, the V6 maybe in question. The I4 will be the base motor around the World, and maybe the middle motor in the US, with the V6 as the base.

How long the V6 stays in the line, not sure.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by SD 197
There will still be V8s, they are not going to kill that.

However, the V6 maybe in question. The I4 will be the base motor around the World, and maybe the middle motor in the US, with the V6 as the base.

How long the V6 stays in the line, not sure.

I could see the V6 going before the V8 easily.
Seem odd?

Why? The six is closer to what the buyers of the new four banger's audience would be aiming at in my opinion.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I could see the V6 going before the V8 easily.
Seem odd?
Why? The six is closer to what the buyers of the new four banger's audience would be aiming at in my opinion.
I agree with Blacksmoke, the sound and feel of a 6 and turbo 4 are similar, neither sounds like a V-8. I have a 3.7 and two turbo cars- performance is great, gas mileage is great, no point IMHO of changing exhaust, nothing will make either sound great.

You can still buy a large engine in a Chevy or Dodge, but the smaller 5.0 matches their performance. I like the sound of the larger engines, but not enough to buy either Chevy or Dodge.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:53 PM
claudermilk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by robinsonda1
How is adding an ecoboost to the lineup going the honda route? Last time I checked there are no US market turbo hondas aside from the RDX but that's an Acura. If you don't want the turbo don't buy it.
Yes, but Acura = Honda. It's only in the US they brand them Acuras. I pay no attention to them as I don't like them, but for a very long time Acuras were mainly tarted up Civis & Accords. Same concept as the Suburban: Chevy/GMC/Cadillac Escalade, all the same thing.

Back to the Mustang. I have no doubt the Coyote will be around for a while. Just because an Eco-Boost 4 is being added doesn't mean the current engines are automatically going away. For those who are buying the Mustang more as a style statement the 4 will be plenty. Those of us who want the V8 I am sure will still have it as an option. Ford gets their better CAFE ratings, we get our power.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:56 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Considering how efficient new V8s are..and considering what can be done re programming..the v8 GT will be around for a long time. Worst case scenario...you will need to buy a "track key" to unlock the otherwise de-tuned v8. Hell, even now, you can have an engine turn off cylendars and turn them back on under load. Just look at how the 500 is geared..it gets better gas milage than most 4.6 owners get on the highway.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 PM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by claudermilk
Yes, but Acura = Honda. It's only in the US they brand them Acuras. I pay no attention to them as I don't like them, but for a very long time Acuras were mainly tarted up Civis & Accords. Same concept as the Suburban: Chevy/GMC/Cadillac Escalade, all the same thing.

Back to the Mustang. I have no doubt the Coyote will be around for a while. Just because an Eco-Boost 4 is being added doesn't mean the current engines are automatically going away. For those who are buying the Mustang more as a style statement the 4 will be plenty. Those of us who want the V8 I am sure will still have it as an option. Ford gets their better CAFE ratings, we get our power.
I'm aware of the Honda/Acura relationship, thank you. ( not meant to be sarcastic)

Last edited by robinsonda1; 08-29-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:47 PM
MiniD

Originally Posted by JThor
At least from my perspective. the "handwringing" as you call it is not so much whether the Mustang keeps a particular style/performance per se. It has more to do with the government imposing its will upon the car manufacturers and, ultimately, the People. If the Mustang turns into an eco box, it is because the government willed it - just like the Mustang II.
Yet somehow Ford recovered. It goes in cycles. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Ford will get the message as will the government.

To all those trying to speak with your vote: it doesn't work. Speak with your wallet. That works.

Quick Reply: Ford Confirms EcoBoost Engine, IRS For 2015 Mustang