Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:01 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Default Cam Advice

Hey guys, looking at 3 different sets of cams, 2 of which being very different than the other.

1) Comp Cams 127550 stage 2 blower cams spr
2) Brenspeed Detroit Rockers blower grind
3) FRPP Hot Rods

Plans for the car are a B302 stroker kit with a whipple pushing 16-18 lbs with a steeda drive belt system. Thing is, I'm in college and this won't be for years until I'm out of college, living comfortably, and can easily afford what I want to throw at it.

In the meantime, however, I'm falling more and more in love with the idea of having a cammed car now that I have the exhaust for it, so I'm looking to get some now that I can also use later down the road when I go built.

I like the idea of the 127550s as they'll get the most power, but after researching more I've found that some say it made the car very sluggish under 4500 rpms or so. That'd be fine if I had a supercharger to make up for it, but I'm going to be running these for years before I do. Also after talking to JDWalton on here who said they were great, but he fowled his plugs out constantly, I don't want to have to deal with that. It wouldn't be a big issue but he said his experience was every 5-10 starts, which is way too often for a car that gets driven almost every day during the summer. The install wouldn't bother me either, but again, everything I'm hearing is starting to steer me away for my particular situation.

Betweern the DR's and the Hot Rods, I kinda of like the idle of the Hot Rods better, and also have Bama tunes, who's very experienced with the hot rods. I like the idea of having the blower cam down the road, but I've seen someone who had the Hot Rods when he went built making over 700 rwhp, and switched to comp's 127350 blower cams only to stay at the same power level, so running hot rods isn't worrying me too much down the road. All of this is making me lean towards the hot rods at this point, along with people who have said they've had trouble with the DR's idling smoothly with the a/c on, etc.

Anyways, looking for advice on which direction to go? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and what not
Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Ok, cliff notes then haha.

Was looking at 127550's, don't like the torque loss without a blower and the frequency some have fouled out their plugs.

I want to go with the Hot Rods, but have heard that over certain boost levels they start to become a problem. I want to run 16+ lbs at some point after building.

Would it be smarter to go with the Brenspeed blower grind DR's off the bat? I have Bama tunes who are good with either but have a lot of experience with the HR's. Would HR's be that bad with a built motor running big boost?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I don't have a S/C'er, but I do have the DR's with a brenspeed tune. The car runs very strong, idles great, and drives even better. It's very smooth, almost more so than stock. I'm extremely happy with this setup. I've heard great things also about Hotrods, however, after using this setup, I would never change it.

I had a Bama tune at first with the DR's due to the free tune for life. Decided down the road to try a Bren tune. The car runs better for sure, throughout all RPM ranges. Stronger up top, a little better down low, and absolutely no bucking or anything even when cold.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON OF 68
I do have the DR's with a brenspeed tune = big *******!!!!

I had a Bama tune at first with the DR's due to the free tune for life. Decided down the road to try a Bren tune. The car runs better for sure
Yea, I tried a bama tune with my setup as well...the brenspeed tune wipes its *** with that bama tune. Much stronger low/mid, about the same up top.

Just get the damn things as soon as possible bro...they are a blast, I love mine!
Go with the DR's, brenspeed has got the tune dailed in.
Gas milage will suffer...giggles will not
Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 PM
fedfireman
2nd Gear Member

Go with whatever will be best for now man, you very well might be in a '13 by the time you have the money to build.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:06 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If you are going to get a blower, I'd wait get blower cams.
Might as well.

We had the Hot Rods in our 06GT.
Loved them AFTER we found a different tuner that didn't mess up the tune.
Before that the tune was making the RPMS jump all over the friggin' place.
Not the Hot Rod Cams fault. Tuner error.

Thanks to HPP Racing in DFW for FIXING the tune in five minutes after two different tuner shops could not fix it in FOUR MONTHS.
HPP is an AWESOME place and their service is absolutely AMAZING.

Anyways... why not get blower cams to get the most out of your blower?

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But on a second look... it sounds like the blower wont go in for at least a couple of years. Dunno how blower cams work without a blower.. or if they do.
No experience with em here.

If the blower plans are coming THAT far away... but you have money for the cams now... If blower cams arent good for non blown cars I'd get the Hot Rods now.
They perform WELL and the shake you get from the cams, along with the sound.. just makes the car seem like a dream come true
my friend. Truly makes the car sound and feel AWESOME.
Can't even friggin describe how cool it is!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-31-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:10 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I gotta vote for D rockers via brenspeed. If you talking years down the road for a new motor then enjoy the car now. Get some N/A Detroit rockers with a brenspeed tune and get your grin on. Nobody matches their customer service. My m90 tune with cams, longtubes and JDM CAI is freaking SPOT on. First try, no excuses, no updates, spot on the first try with an email tune. That is the bomb!!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:13 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Yeup get the Detroit Rockers. I had them before I had the supercharger and I had no problems. Since installing the supercharger the cams have been great. I would definetly go with brenspeed tunes. I mean its there cam. Why would u go with bama tunes? I have always thought this to be strange but thats me. Brenspeed basically offers the same thing as bama. Great customer service and tunes. You buy there stuff u get free tunes.

I have heard the same thing about hotrods but I believe that was with a full exhaust. I know the OD light can be a pita at times also. Now I will say that u may experience some idling issues or surging when u do get the cams. Best thing to do is call brenspeed and have them look into it instead of getting on here and asking what to do. As many do. Anyway good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I've HEARD blower cams are fine to run without a blower, you just won't see as much as far as power gains until later. Whether that's true or not would be a good reason to call up Bama and Brenspeed. I'm going with Bama because I already have their tunes for life program. Reason I didn't originally go with Brenspeed was because you have to buy the parts from them. I got some longtubes used recently, so I would've been outta luck there.

Not knocking Brenspeed at all. As I said I'm planning to go with their B302 stroker kit down the road. Seems to be a great kit and one of the most complete available.

As much as I like the 13's and what not, I think I'd rather keep and build mine. I like the idea of having pride in it and being able to say I took it all apart and built it myself.

Since everyone's recommending the DR's with Brenspeed's tunes, I may go with the hot rods since Bama is supposedly pretty experienced with them and that's who I've got for tunes.

Thanks for the advice so far, feel free to keep it coming! Haha
Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I personally like the sound of the Hot Rods a lot better than the Brenspeed cams.
(Not knocking them either)

And the Hot Rods gave me a good gain in our 06GT with long tubes and a tune.
I gained like high 30's HP maybe even 40 if I remember.
I had it dyno tuned though

Quick Reply: Cam Advice