Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance and more maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Maintenance and more maintenance!

Well, it looks like my project has gotten a little bigger/more costly!

Recently I fixed my defrost mode actuator for the AC, and today I replaced my fuel filter.

When all the items arrive I will also be doing the standard oil change, and redoing the brakes to include new rotors, calipers, pads, and stainless steel lines.

Though while I was under the car today I decided to check out how accessible the brake job is going to be and I noticed my tie rod ends are pretty chewed up. I guess it's time to do another upgrade/repair and go with the Steeda Bumpsteer Tie rod end kit!

I'll wait on the brakes and do the tierod end/brakes at the same time. I'll probably get the alignment checked after all this to ensure everything is A-ok, especially since my tires can't be rotated so making sure even tread wear is pretty important. When I lowered my car and had them align it, I wasn't too happy with it. I took it to Firestone/Goodyear/or one of those type places. Who would you trust most to get an alignment? ... and I kinda have this hatred for Ford after all their shoddy work on my car over the years...

Last edited by Menace; 08-30-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:27 PM
nfordhk
1st Gear Member

Just make sure besides adjusting the camber they also adjust the toe. I've heard of places like merchants, firestone, ect not even adjusting the toe....Which to me seems more important.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The rubber boots on my tie rods are shot to **** too.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Stang8URMPRT
1st Gear Member

Always ask for the before and after print outs of the alignment. This will ensure everything is in spec. If it's not, ask questions.

I have a lifetime alignment from Firestone on all my vehicles, but I also used to work there and got them cheap. I am hesitant to bring it to anyone for any work. So it only goes back if necessary.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I do more maintenance projects than performance mods as well. ALL my fluids and filters are tip-top shape, and I try to keep it all clean. Not clean as in washed and waxed religously, but making sure there's no build up of grim or debris in the engine bay or undercarraige.

Sparkplugs are soon, as well as installing an oil/air separator. And then probably all new rotors and pads later on.

I wanna hit 100k with zero issues.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I don't have the patience to maintain this engine bay! lol. So hats off to all those who do. That being said my car has never seen a garage. Looking for a house right now and then the pony will be in the stable for the remainder of her life, when not being driven that is...

I know the sparkplugs are gonna break, I'm a little over 49k miles and I might just wait it out; they are supposed to be good for that 100k.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Something I hadn't mention I was replacing was the stock shifter ****. I actually prefer this **** over the aftermarket. The material (not sure if it's leather) was tearing at the top. Found on Ebay for $25 shipped, brand new.

Front view.

Top view.

The old **** is going to become a little project in the distant future.

Last edited by Menace; 08-31-2012 at 07:34 PM.