Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member

Default performance upgrades?

I would like to know what simple things i could do to boost performance. I have a cold air intake. But is there other things that I could do while keeping it cheap. I know its going to be expensive but suggestions are always accepted
Old 09-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Do you have a tune to go with that CAI? If not, it's doing NOTHING for you performance-wise. A good custom tune from AM/BAMA or Brenspeed will wake your baby up to the tune (no pun intended) of about 15-20 RWHP. Other than that, you won't be able to add much more than single-digit power unless you go FI or spend some serious $$.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:06 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

As stated, a tune would be the most bennificial thing you can do. Make sure you get the 3 custom tune options, those are also really helpful.

Full exhaust, long tube headers, mid pipe, and your exhaust choice will also yield a nice bit of power and obviously change the tone of the car.

Other things are very hit and miss. Gears are often a good investment, but since the S197s have decent gears right out the box, aren't as great as maybe older Mustangs unless you're a die hard track racer.

Lowering the car, and beefing up the brakes will vastly improve performance and drivability. Suspension and brakes are often so over looked because people look for power, but they're essential for a great performance car.

Anything major performance wise requires thousands of dollars to get real yields.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:28 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Kenne Bell supercharger.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM
rogerw

Default supercharging the 4.6 3v

I have a 05 Mustang 4.6L 3v. With a Kenne Bell Supercharger. Im running 9psi.
How much more boost can I go before I run in to problems with Tourque converter, transmision (5r55s), drive shaft rear end ect.

I would like to try 12 to 15 psi. Anyone else running this boost
Old 09-16-2012, 11:51 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If you have a cold air intake without a tune just as said before... it is
utterly USELESS. You are gaining NO POWER or PERFORMANCE.

It might as well be a decoration.
On other model cars and in years before you could do just a cold air intake and see gains but not with these cars.

First thing you need to do is buy a handheld tuner and tunes.
Check Americanmuscle.com for details.
Be sure to tell Americanmuscle your car details including what brand of cold air intake you have and what size it is or else you will end up running lean or rich and could damage your engine.

BTW... since you don't have a tune it is possible you are already running rich/lean.
Get a tune ASAP.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rogerw
I have a 05 Mustang 4.6L 3v. With a Kenne Bell Supercharger. Im running 9psi.
How much more boost can I go before I run in to problems with Tourque converter, transmision (5r55s), drive shaft rear end ect.

I would like to try 12 to 15 psi. Anyone else running this boost
On a stock motor? You have maybe another pound to play with.. I wouldn't even be worrying about your tranny or rear end right now.. The motor will be the first thing to go if it does.. If you even try toughing 15psi without an updgrade there, boom
Old 09-17-2012, 03:30 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Keep it real
I would like to know what simple things i could do to boost performance. I have a cold air intake. But is there other things that I could do while keeping it cheap. I know its going to be expensive but suggestions are always accepted
An SCT tuner with Steeda custom tuning is definitely something to consider.

I would also recommend upgrading the suspension. It will help the car handle better and helps it feel more stable.

Let me know if I can help you with anything.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:17 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

lower it, change gears, lighter drive shaft. But id do the FRPP pro cal tuner it wont void your warranty just have to basically pay for to press a button stupid but better to be safe than sorry in my book.

Quick Reply: performance upgrades?