Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 Mustang Finally!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Default V8 Mustang Finally!!!

Alright, for those of you who have read my other post about this subject, you got all the background. For those of you who haven't, go ahead.

So, I have been scanning Craigslist, Ebay, Autotrader, cars.com, and others to try and find a mustang GT. I was looking ever since I posted the thread, "Got a V6, but reeeeaaaaallly want a V8." I was about to give up hope. Nothing was meeting my requirements. It was either too expensive, too high of mileage, a salvage title, crap colors, bad interior, ridiculous mods, or simply too far away.
Then a couple days ago i decided to shoot craigslist again and see what was out there. I found a mustang in my actual town. Good Start. Specs? V8? Check. Decent Miles? 65k. Check. Mods? a little over $8k worth. Check. (dont worry they are good mods, (cams, pistons, headers, x pipe, 18in foose wheels, gt500 front fascia and cowl hood, tuner, couple other.)) PRICE?? $13k CHECK.
Alright, theres a mustang Gt in my area. Lets check it out. I met the guy Sunday and had a good long talk, history, and drive. SOOOO, ya never driven one, and ya, im pretty dang excited. power, rumble, more power. It was sooooo cool. Alright Ill call you. bye
I still gotta get rid of my car?!? There was a guy that call my a couple months back wanting my car. I told him i would need to find one so OK. After 4 false alarms because of deals falling through i was afraid he would just write me off. Almost did.. So i gave him a text and email. "you still want my mustang?" "i am ready to sell asap." No response for 1.5 hours. Started to get really worried. So i just called (like a normal person) and he answered (thank god) he said he found another car and he is gonna buy it tomorrow......BUT they just called him after he got my text and said the car was already sold...So we are still on. he will meet me halfway, pay my gas to get there, and give me good money for my car. SWEET.
Honestly thought it was a sign from god. what are the chances that the car he was going to buy tomorrow just got sold after he got my text. Crazy if you ask me.
So, where am i now? well all green lights. I just gotta text my seller tell him to meet me tomorrow or wednesday and do the deal. My buyer wants us to meet tomorrow. so within 48 hours I will finally have a GT. finally. i get nervous and queasy (spell check) just thinking about it. this car is supposed to have 450-500 HP.
Im stoked guys.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Id seriously consider a full inspection before buying, dont do the same mistake I did, price is good but make sure the car doesnt require huge hided repair, compression etc. Good luck lets us see
Some pict if all work out for you
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I'd get it checked out too. And if it does then u have all green lights. Best of luck
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If it's meant to be, it will be.

450-500 HP on a 4.6L without being FI and I'd be very suspect of it's driveability since 450 would have required some audacious internal work. If it's not FI I'd be surprised if it was over 325-350 RWHP; 380 max and still being street driveable.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:12 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Don't mean to burst your bubble but no way it's cranking out 450-500 unless it has a serious stroker engine under the hood... I'd be very skeptic of what the owner is telling you and would want receipts of everything done.. For the price, it's still not bad even if it was a clean stock S197..
Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

The engine has checked out.
On HP. I going off what he said and he wasn't very educated in "cars". the pistons are forged probe pistons,. i know that. I would be willing to bet that since its cammed and has a tuner, cai, pistons, and such that its probably between 340-375
Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I'm with the other folks, do some serious homework on that if he's claiming 450-500 HP without forced induction. Just makes me think the guy has no idea what he's talking about or is trying to rip you off. With those kinds of mods, go over everything and make sure it was tuned properly. If it does have some sort of forced induction, you still need to seriously triple-check all the facts. A friend of mine came up to me excited one day because he bought a "500WHP supercharged GT" with low miles and wanted to show it off. Everything else on the car was stock with a crap tune. Gave it one hard push and grenaded it.

Not saying you didn't pick a winner, but you need to be skeptical, not excited, until it checks out 100%.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

it was all put together at a shop. I know that its not pushing 450 Hp. I think he way high balled it. but the car is great
Old 10-15-2012, 06:54 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I hope the Probe pistons for the Mustang have a better rep than they do in the Subie world. If I'm not mistaken, people have had a lot of trouble with the quality in the boxter motors.

Best of luck OP. I too would highly recommend a good inspection, and also say those numbers the seller is giving you are way high given the mods. Nice mods for sure, but not 500hp worth .
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam

Not saying you didn't pick a winner, but you need to be skeptical, not excited, until it checks out 100%.
Word my man, i didnt do so when buying this car, lets say im down 6-7k$ repairing what i could have know if i inspected the car instead of trusting what peoples said.

Quick Reply: V8 Mustang Finally!!!