Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat extraction

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 AM
011GT/CS

Default Heat extraction

Anyone interestested in functional heat extraction on the 05-12's without replacing your stock hood?
I am working on this mod and will post photos soon.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I did that years ago by remove the weather stripping on the back of the hood.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

depends on how it looks - and depending on how intelligently the extraction is done (I live in a rainy area, the water needs to route well)

are you designing some 'drop in' style vents that you just put a template on the hood, cut out the needed holes and have them body worked in, or what?

thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 01:22 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

I will be interested if it is tastefully done.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
011GT/CS

Default Heat extraction

Originally Posted by moosestang
I did that years ago by remove the weather stripping on the back of the hood.
Yeah, did that 20 years ago on a camaro, but since then the negative or positive effects of doing that have been debated on several forums. So I decided to go a different route. And if it was that easy, why didn't the ford, shelby, roush, saleen, steeda, etc, etc engineers do it that way. I would expect it would let water, dirt and leaves to enter the engine compartment.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:00 PM
011GT/CS

Default heat extrction

Originally Posted by Entaille
depends on how it looks - and depending on how intelligently the extraction is done (I live in a rainy area, the water needs to route well)

are you designing some 'drop in' style vents that you just put a template on the hood, cut out the needed holes and have them body worked in, or what?

thanks
Did a hole cutout on my old 07, looked great but had to cut out the structual members of the hood. Didn't want to do that again.
This is not drop in vents, you could spray water into the vents and not get water into the engine, no drip trays to block air flow, no paint or body work required.
I had a better description posted but it was removed by the forum admin folks, so thats about all I can say here on the forum.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 011GT/CS
Yeah, did that 20 years ago on a camaro, but since then the negative or positive effects of doing that have been debated on several forums. So I decided to go a different route. And if it was that easy, why didn't the ford, shelby, roush, saleen, steeda, etc, etc engineers do it that way. I would expect it would let water, dirt and leaves to enter the engine compartment.
Well dirt is getting in my engine compartment regardless. I live on a dirt road. I don't park under trees, so leaves are no problem.

I was driving a chevy spectrum 20 years ago, so performance mods were not a huge priority!

Last edited by moosestang; 10-18-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I take it this is something that you're trying to market?

Can you post pics?

Or email them to me kresge1975@yahoo.com
Old 10-18-2012, 08:48 PM
011GT/CS

Default Heat Extraction

Originally Posted by moosestang
Well dirt is getting in my engine compartment regardless. I live on a dirt road. I don't park under trees, so leaves are no problem.

I was driving a chevy spectrum 20 years ago, so performance mods were not a huge priority!
No offense intended Moose, in my surveys, most people were concerned with dirt and water, therefore I went in this direction instead. And the mod looks pretty cool too!
I have no facts or data of my own to either confirm or deny any advantages of removing the rear hood seal. If its working out for you, good deal.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:16 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 011GT/CS
No offense intended Moose, in my surveys, most people were concerned with dirt and water, therefore I went in this direction instead. And the mod looks pretty cool too!
I have no facts or data of my own to either confirm or deny any advantages of removing the rear hood seal. If its working out for you, good deal.
I have no data either. I removed mine to help reduce hood flutter at highway speeds and it did seem to help with that.

Post a pic all ready!

Quick Reply: Heat extraction