Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

This what F150 owners are doing. This is what I was trying to explain about throttle calibration. Hope it helps.
Throttle Calibration

Throttle calibration can substantially improve throttle responsiveness over "factory standard." Many people notice what appears to be sluggish throttle response or a "dead area" at initial accelerator depression. Throttle calibration can take care of these.

1) turn the key in the ON position (don't start the engine)
2) press the gas pedal down slowly all the way down
3) let go of the gas pedal fast so it come back up
4) turn key into the OFF position
repeat steps 1-4 two more times then start engine.

Most drivers notice an immediate change in throttle response, but depending on your driving style, you may need to repeat this procedure periodically due to the computer's adaptive programming. You likely need to repeat this procedure any time the battery is disconnected.

Last edited by mapitts; 11-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 AM
dahna85

I replaced my fuel filter about years ago. I will try resetting my battery and getting some fuel system cleaner to run through it. The bad thing is my tank is pretty much full right now, but I will do it anyways. Where I live apparently the fuel isn't that great. I was putting Lucas's fuel additive in my car everything I filled up because of the gas down here. But I have stopped doing that. I also kind of think I just need to take her for a long nice drive so I can open her up and her run. I live a city so its kind of hard. Thanks Kevin for all the advice. Will keep updates as to the outcome!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:51 AM
dahna85

Thanks Mapitts for that. Seems easy enough. I will have to try that today. Should I reset my battery first or do the calibration first? Or does it really matter?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I never had much luck with disconecting the battery for 30 minutes. That being said I would try Kevin's trick first. See if that works for you. Just because I have never had much luck with it does not mean that it does not work. See what happens. If it works, problem solved. If it does not then try the second meathod. The reason I say to do it this way is to figure out what works and what does not. I think we are all going through a learning curve here. Keep us posted!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:10 PM
dahna85

Alright now I just feel dumb!! My husband came home from being underway and he bought a new OBDII reader and I had him read my car to see what codes she was throwing. I came inside to do some research on the codes and the first thing I read is "MAF is disconnected". So I grab my keys go out side, pop my hood , and low and be hold, I forgot to plug in my damn MAF sensor. I plug it in and she runs like a champ now! I feel so dumb, but hey this is the first thing I've done by myself. Thanks again for all y'alls help!! We are up and running again!! Thanks again!!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Good to hear! All the other stuff is just little stuff. Main point is that there is another Mustang on the streets running. Remeber next time to dot all of the "i's" & cross all of the "t's" when you are working on something! We are all here for the most part to help one another, not bash, and learn as we go. Nobody was born knowing anything.

Last edited by mapitts; 12-01-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Wink

Originally Posted by dahna85
Alright now I just feel dumb!! My husband came home from being underway and he bought a new OBDII reader and I had him read my car to see what codes she was throwing. I came inside to do some research on the codes and the first thing I read is "MAF is disconnected". So I grab my keys go out side, pop my hood , and low and be hold, I forgot to plug in my damn MAF sensor. I plug it in and she runs like a champ now! I feel so dumb, but hey this is the first thing I've done by myself. Thanks again for all y'alls help!! We are up and running again!! Thanks again!!
Don't feel dumb, this kind of stuff happens at auto shops with trained professionals! LOL
Good to hear all is well and your Mustang is up and running like a champ!
Cheers,
Kevin

Last edited by kevinmalec; 12-03-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Don't feel dumb, this kind of stuff happens at auto shops with trained professionals! LOL
Good to hear all is well and your Mustang is up and running like a champ!
Cheers,
Kevin
Very well said my friend!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
Very well said my friend!
Thanks! It's sad, but it does happen. Getting ready for a long road trip, My buddy went to a local auto shop to get his oil changed and they said his air filter was totally gunked up and needed to be replaced asap. He agreed and let them change his air filter. While driving on a road trip (several hours) and driving some older dirt roads, he noticed his car was riding really rough and sputtering off and on. He decided to pull over and open the hood and he noticed that the mechanic forgot to close the airbox and the air filter was more than halfway hanging out. Debri was sucked into the airbox and into the engine which caused some major issues.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM
dahna85

Oh dang! Thats why we try and do everything ourselves. Its very hard to find someone you can trust and that isnt out there to get your money. I have only taken my car to a shop once and that was to have the rear pinion seal replaced. We could have done it but we live in an apartment complex and dont have the tools needed. I was so worried that they were going to screw me over, but they were really nice and I havent had a problem with my rear end leaking since.

Quick Reply: Idle Issues