Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Changing rim size

Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 PM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Question Question about Changing rim size

I don't know who to believe.... please help

I have a 2013 Mustang V6 Convertible with the Pony package

I am thinking of upgrading my rims from the stock 18 inch to 19 inch when my turns require replacing

The agency guys told me not to upgrade them as that might damage my transmission although from what I know from working in an accessories shop 3 years ago, you can always upgrade the rims by 1 or inches safely without hurting your transmission

My friend tells me that I can upgrade the rims, but I need to change the gear ratio to match the rim size, and that would void the warranty

He said that if I upgrade the rims and don't change the gear ratio, the car will run fine but in bout 3 years the transmission will break

I don't know who to believe, and with that said, it seems it is best to stick to the stock rims or just get a diff. model 18 inch rims ?

Please explain with some details

thank

These are the current rims that I have:

Last edited by berryracer; 12-24-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Damage the transmission? No.

The added rotational mass may make your car feel a tad slower, but unless you datalog like a maniac, chances are you won't even notice that. How does transmission damage even make sense to your friend?? You might end up having to get new TPMS sensors if you do not take the ones off of your current rims, but again that is up to you and whether or not you mind a TPMS signal being lit up on your dashboard.

At most, your speedometer will be slightly off, but again we are talking like .5-1 mph. Barely noticeable. You will not sustain transmission damage from any of this, and changing gear ratios is also unnecessary. People do this for performance gain quite often (as a steeper ratio will give you better acceleration with slight decrease in top speed) but that is unrelated to changing rim size.

About half of this forum runs aftermarket/larger rims than stock. None of them have reported transmission damage. Sounds like your friend has no idea what he's talking about

Last edited by aaquib1992; 12-24-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 PM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Damage the transmission? No.

The added rotational mass may make your car feel a tad slower, but unless you datalog like a maniac, chances are you won't even notice that. How does transmission damage even make sense to your friend?? You might end up having to get new TPMS sensors if you do not take the ones off of your current rims, but again that is up to you and whether or not you mind a TPMS signal being lit up on your dashboard.

At most, your speedometer will be slightly off, but again we are talking like .5-1 mph. Barely noticeable. You will not sustain transmission damage from any of this, and changing gear ratios is also unnecessary. People do this for performance gain quite often (as a steeper ratio will give you better acceleration with slight decrease in top speed) but that is unrelated to changing rim size.

About half of this forum runs aftermarket/larger rims than stock. None of them have reported transmission damage. Sounds like your friend has no idea what he's talking about
Thanks for the clarification bro.

My friend claims to be the guru of cars as he is always buying totalled cars and restoring them then selling them

so are those TPMS sensors cheap and easy to get at the dealer? easy to install by any tire shop or does the agency have to do it?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:11 PM
sharony1994
2nd Gear Member

lmao what do rims have to do with your transmission. Change your rims dont ask people who have their heads up their asses and speak ****.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by berryracer
Thanks for the clarification bro.

My friend claims to be the guru of cars as he is always buying totalled cars and restoring them then selling them

so are those TPMS sensors cheap and easy to get at the dealer? easy to install by any tire shop or does the agency have to do it?
Well for the 2011+ models you have a valve stem design which is MUCH easier to transfer between rims. You could buy new sensors, but at like 150 (I believe each) I doubt you'd want to go that route. If I were you, I'd just get the rims you want (make sure they have the right offset, bolt pattern before you buy) and the tires you want, then take them to your mechanic/dealer and tell them you want your TPMS sensors transferred off of your old rims to your new ones.

Dealership/tire shop will also have the syncing tool necessary to sync your sensors back up to your car. Any tire shop could do this though, I regularly let my local tire rack/discount tire do it when I switch between summer/winter tires.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Grim
1st Gear Member

And you may not even need to get the new sensors synced. I bought some Roush take-off wheels/tires/TPMS from another V6, and I never needed to sync the TPMS sensors. I have a generic Ford reset tool from when I owned a 2011 Focus, but I never had to use it for the Mustang! I guess the computer can figure it out all by itself!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Yep, these "Electronic Hot Rods" are amazing! I build and service desktop computers.
Advancement in technology is really getting unreal, next the car will drive itself!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Typically when you change rim O.D. you also adjust with the tire O.D. to maintain an overall O.D. equivalent to the factory tire O.D.. NO impact to anything.

Are you sure you want to go to 19's? First, there's not as much selection of tires in 19". Second, more sidewall = more sexy and going to 19" will REDUCE sidewall. I'd have 17's or 16's on my Stang if I could at this time.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:12 PM
berryracer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Typically when you change rim O.D. you also adjust with the tire O.D. to maintain an overall O.D. equivalent to the factory tire O.D.. NO impact to anything.

Are you sure you want to go to 19's? First, there's not as much selection of tires in 19". Second, more sidewall = more sexy and going to 19" will REDUCE sidewall. I'd have 17's or 16's on my Stang if I could at this time.
well mine has 18 at the moment I guess it's best to stick to this size

Maybe paint them black? what do you guys think?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Berry, the pic in my signature line is my 2013 with 19x9.5 SVE Drifts and Nitto 275/35/19 Tires.

If you have an SCT tuner you can change the rim/tire size setting in the vehilce with the tuner, or take it to your dealer nad ask them to reflash with the new spec.

You 'car guru' friend doesn't know his head from his *** when it comes to newer cars. Back in the day to have more accurate speed reading you had to make small adjustments with actual parts, but since OBD II, it is all computerized.

You will not harm your transmission or drivetrain just from switching tires and rims, it will get ruined from showing off your new wheels by during burnouts and donuts every chane you get to show off, and even than it woul dtake a lot of abuse before you fried anything in the drivetrain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Changing rim size