Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driving in cooler temperature?

Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM
p0ny
1st Gear Member

Default driving in cooler temperature?

Hi all,

I have a 2011 5.0. The temperatures here (Houston) have been in the high 30's-low 40's. My little pony does not like it when it is cold out. I usually let it sit for 2-3 minutes until the RPM goes down before I take off but until the engine really gets warmed up it doesn't shift as easily as when it is warmed up and I will sometimes grind from first to second and second to third. However, when it is warmed up it is an awesome drive. Was sondering if anyone else experiences this.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

this is pretty normal. thankfully, in houston, you don't have to worry about those temps too often.

this can be improved upon with different transmission fluid, for the shifting/grind issues.

when it's that cold out, I have to more or less let my engine get to normal operating temps before it will drive well - it can get a little bucky/hesitant even. not a big fan of warming it up for so long, but it is what it is.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Those temps are barely cold from a design standpoint as far as ANY vehicle is concerned. But most cars will experience some minor warm up issues. You can often improve cold shifting a bit by going with a good synthetic tranny fluid. I'm partial to Amsoil.

Warm-up is not only unneccesary but is also not recommended. Start her up, put on your seat belt and drive gently for the first few miles. Imagine how you'd feel if temps were below 0 when you started her up in the morning...
Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Those temps are barely cold from a design standpoint as far as ANY vehicle is concerned. But most cars will experience some minor warm up issues. You can often improve cold shifting a bit by going with a good synthetic tranny fluid. I'm partial to Amsoil.

Warm-up is not only unneccesary but is also not recommended. Start her up, put on your seat belt and drive gently for the first few miles. Imagine how you'd feel if temps were below 0 when you started her up in the morning...
would get a beater for temps below freezing

good thing i live in florida and it was like 82 out today

no point in driving a mustang in those conditions atleast from a performance standpoint. Tires will be hard as rocks, any throttle over 20% would probably result in spinning

Last edited by Andy13186; 01-16-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

High 30s is cold? Must be nice living in Texas, lol...All jokes aside, seems perfectly normal my man.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

In Ohio the temps are quite a bit colder!!! I used to live in your great city! Fire it up, wait 30 seconds and drive............thats it.....it'll warm up much faster by driving it when its cold and you wont be doing any harm to the 5.0 ......unless you really crank out the RPM's while its cold.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

the only reason I warm my car up is my work is right off of the exit, and my home is only ~half a mile from the onramp. it is hard to resist the urge to mash on it.. and ya can't do that when the car isn't warmed up yet.. : )

otherwise I'd only give it ~15 seconds and warm it up by driving gently until I reach temps.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 AM
p0ny
1st Gear Member

Thank you everyone for your responses. Glad it's normal. Wonder what the neighbors think when they (if they) can hear a slight grind? Probably that chic can't drive lol.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I'm down on the coast and these last few days are unusually cold for Texas, I have an auto
tranny, I baby my pony for several miles in this weather, at least the heaters work in these
stangs.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Mine came with an engine block heater, I've used it once when I had to leave it outside overnight. It's be -2 on Tuesday, I'll definitely use it then. Mine also came with heated leather seats which are nice on cold days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: driving in cooler temperature?