Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic Maintenance? few q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Not putting a lot of miles is gonna kill you quick.
The moisture is going to build up in the oil
from lack of bringing it up to operating temps.
Not allowing the high temps to boil off the
acid producing moisture.

My cooling system has 6 years on it and I dont
plan on doing any flushing soon. That flushing
is like snake oil. If the antifreeze is up to snuff,
what is getting in that needs flushed out?
And the brake fluid should be good for quite a long time.
But if you must spend $$, the brakes would get
the most attention.

Drop a 174 degree thermostat in there and call it good.

Fuel filter
fuel filter
fuel filter

CANT SAY IT ENOUGH

Check the rear diff fluid level
and the manual tranny gearbox
for the proper fluid levels and
add accordingly.

Last edited by 157dB; 01-24-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by kevilay
...I will be taking it out sometime mid feb. Im going to run to the states to pickup some oil soon and wondering what I should do to my car just to keep it running in tip top shape...
Kevin,

I see you already got a lot of good feedback on this. It’s best to follow the information in the 2008MY Mustang Scheduled Maintenance Guide 3rd Printing and the 2008MY Mustang Owner Guide 3rd Printing (starting on page 236).

For a free downloadable copy of both guides, go here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten...OwnerGuidePage

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
i always use synthetic when i get mine changed...
Originally Posted by So_Cali
+1 Fuel filter would be ideal. Switching to synthetic is always a great idea...
Originally Posted by Art161
...change the oil every six months.
Originally Posted by jz
I have used mobil 1 on my car since day one. I have 17,000 on it now. Synthetic is always a good idea...
Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
Oil change every 3-5000 miles...
Originally Posted by audioAl
Cooling system every three years, Look to your manual for brakes.
Originally Posted by 157dB
Not putting a lot of miles is gonna kill you quick...
I like seeing all the support on this forum, guys; thanks a bunch.

Cory

Last edited by FordService; 01-24-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I too believe in synthetic oil. I have always believed oil is cheaper than metal. I, myself, like Pennzoil Ultra.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Too few miles per trip is death to an engine, I don't care WHAT oil you use. You need a good 10 miles or more (for your location, likely more) each way to begin to burn off the moisture in the crankcase. If not, NO oil has enough protective properties to last long.

With the mileage you put on, you should be using the factory synthetic blend and changing it and the filter every 4k to 5k miles; earlier if you're seeing babypoop yellow on the underside of the oil cap. Using full synthetic and having to change it WAYYYY too early due to moisture buildup is a waste if you change it before 10,000 miles.

Other than that, replace the fuel filter every 25k to 35k miles.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

These guys know what's good for you ^^^ Switch to synthetic oil and install a fresh fuel filter. That should be fine for now. At about 40k miles, change the transmission fluid too!

Shane
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

I use the owners manual as a guide and use Motorcraft filters and oil, the synth blend that came in it from the factory. Had antifreeze and brake fluid flushed at 60k miles as it was 7 years old. Change my fuel filter and air filter every 30k miles. Oil, filter and tire rotation every 5k miles.

05 GT with 62k miles and no mods except SLP loudmouths, Koni shocks and struts and cosmetics. I enjoy doing my own maintence.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Ok, so I drive my car 5 days a week about 2miles back and forth to work on the weekdays. On the weekends I do a bit more driving as it is fun normally ill spend around an hour at somepoint on the weekend driving around. I also live just off the highway so Im pretty much always driving on the highway. Hopefully this is ok? I didnt realize short trips were bad 0.o Learn something new everyday. This is why I use these forums!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If I had only a few miles to get to work, I'd get a bike (I mean peddle!) as long as the environment supported that. My wife used to drive under 2 miles each way to work and it PAINED me but we were in the Chicago area and driving was safer (believe it or not). In the winter, it didn't take long for underneath her oil cap to look as if she had a blown gasket. We moved, she drives farther (and it's warmer) so no more yellow snot in her oil.

As long as you're burning off the moisture on a weekly basis, you're better off than if you didn't. I'd still stick with the synthetic blend but change early; at about 4k miles to 5k miles; 3k miles if you have a great need to be ****.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:04 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If I had only a few miles to get to work, I'd get a bike (I mean peddle!) as long as the environment supported that. My wife used to drive under 2 miles each way to work and it PAINED me but we were in the Chicago area and driving was safer (believe it or not). In the winter, it didn't take long for underneath her oil cap to look as if she had a blown gasket. We moved, she drives farther (and it's warmer) so no more yellow snot in her oil.

As long as you're burning off the moisture on a weekly basis, you're better off than if you didn't. I'd still stick with the synthetic blend but change early; at about 4k miles to 5k miles; 3k miles if you have a great need to be ****.
Thanks for the info
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Also, the condensation in the oil is more of an issue in the colder weather. You can extend your oil change frequency a bit in the warmer months. The OM states 7500 miles on the blend IIRC but I'd still change it in the summer at about 5k miles what with your short weekday drives and as long as you're still burning off the moisture on the weekends.

Quick Reply: Basic Maintenance? few q's