Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost SYNC, could use some help here

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Default Lost SYNC, could use some help here

So this last weekend I was playing around in the trunk trying to wire up some '13 tail lights to my '11. Well I dont know exactly what I did wrong but in the process I heard a loud pop come thru the speakers, the car wouldnt start, (gauges started freaking out when I tried to kick it over) and the battery died. Took the battery to get charged, car started right up but I lost all the SYNC features. I pulled the fuses to make sure I didnt fry one somehow with a power serge and they all look good, next pulled the relays and swapped them out to make sure they are all good. What should I check next?

And yes Ive learned my lesson. No more playing with wires.

Matthew
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

What do you mean by" lost all of the sync features?" Does the radio work? Does it light up?
Do the audio commands work? Does the USB input work? btw, there isn't anything you can do in the trunk to drain the battery quickly, did you have something on for a long time while you were working on the lights? Did you put the "11 lights back in?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM
inkdemon
1st Gear Member

Simple ground out may give you feed back through the speakers. But to kill the battery, something else was left on or the battery don't sound like its doing well. As for sync if and when you took the battery out, you most likely lost memory in the radio and will have to re-sync it.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal and reconnecting it after a few minutes
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
What do you mean by" lost all of the sync features?" Does the radio work? Does it light up?
Do the audio commands work? Does the USB input work? btw, there isn't anything you can do in the trunk to drain the battery quickly, did you have something on for a long time while you were working on the lights? Did you put the "11 lights back in?
Sorry. The radio DOES work. The radio commands do work (vol up/down, change station) But the voice commands on the stearing wheel, and the "phone" button on the radio face plate do not work. Nothing.

And yes we reinstalled the '11 as we couldnt get the '13s to work properly. Luckily we didnt cut anything. I just took apart the pigtail on the '13 and we were just testing.

As for killing the battery Im guessing turning the lights on and off (to check and see if we wired the tail lights correctly) just drained the battery.

Originally Posted by inkdemon
Simple ground out may give you feed back through the speakers. But to kill the battery, something else was left on or the battery don't sound like its doing well. As for sync if and when you took the battery out, you most likely lost memory in the radio and will have to re-sync it.
Re-Sync it? Never heard of that....what is involved?

Originally Posted by edwin108
Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal and reconnecting it after a few minutes
Already took the battery out to test/charge it. Would I need to remove the terminal again?

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Well if the steering wheel buttons work for radio and cruise but not SYNC then we know it's not the buttons on wheel? Have you tried manually re SYNC ing you phone? If all the radio functions operate perfectly either voice or manually but no SYNC function work then you most likely fried the APIM (SYNC brain) if you still have bumper to bumper make sure you remove all evidence of playing with wires, put a Motorcraft battery under the hood and go see dealer.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Sorry. The radio DOES work. The radio commands do work (vol up/down, change station) But the voice commands on the stearing wheel, and the "phone" button on the radio face plate do not work. Nothing.

And yes we reinstalled the '11 as we couldnt get the '13s to work properly. Luckily we didnt cut anything. I just took apart the pigtail on the '13 and we were just testing.

As for killing the battery Im guessing turning the lights on and off (to check and see if we wired the tail lights correctly) just drained the battery.

Re-Sync it? Never heard of that....what is involved?

Already took the battery out to test/charge it. Would I need to remove the terminal again?

Thanks,
Matthew
I would try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery again to restart/reboot the sync system. Also, did you check the sync fuse (#3-15A) with a tester/multimeter? Sometimes fuses blow but still look fine.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM
inkdemon
1st Gear Member

You'll have to read your manual or go to ford website to see the steps involved in re syning/pairing your phone to get the functions back.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Not sure why or how but my SYNC started working all of a sudden today while sitting in traffic.

Matthew
Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang

Not sure why or how but my SYNC started working all of a sudden today while sitting in traffic.

Matthew
Its Microsoft programming... one day forgets you have a CD drive.. the next it acts like nothing ever happened..