Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Vent Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 PM
mustanggg07

Default AC Vent Rattle

I have a 2007 mustang with the rotating ac vents, i have searched the forums and all over the internet and have found nothing.
i have a annoying rattle coming somewhere from in or around the ac vent near the drivers door, i have taken the chrome and long gray tubing off and the rattle still occurs, i have taken a business card and folded it up and put it in between the black tubing and the wall, still rattles, anybody have this problem? any fix? thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Are you positive the noise is coming from the vents? It could be coming from your driver's side mirror. Do a search and you will see some fixes for it.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 PM
mustanggg07

Not the mirror, i have fixed that rattle lol, i will listen closely tomorrow morning when i drive it and give a little more specific detail, if it will help i can record a video of it as well
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Pretty sure mine is rattling somewhere around there too...I can't figure if it's the A pillar, the headlight assembly, or the vent or instrument cluster. It drives me batty.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

When you guys figure it out, let us know.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I have this same problem. You can hear a faint rattle coming from somewhere in the dash. Also, those little panels that cover the screws behind the inside door handles rattle to my music and it drives me NUTS!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I figured out where mine is coming from...it's the lower dash "panel", the section below the headlight switch. There is a screw or bolt there that I'm going to tighten to see if that will take care of it. I can hold it and the rattle will stop.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 PM
mustanggg07

Originally Posted by hootie_john
I figured out where mine is coming from...it's the lower dash "panel", the section below the headlight switch. There is a screw or bolt there that I'm going to tighten to see if that will take care of it. I can hold it and the rattle will stop.
Let me know if this works! Is this the same for you as well: when you push up against the ac vent chrome billet, the rattling will stop? Because mine will. I thought it was the ac vent chrome billet its self, but when i take it off i still get a rattle. Its annoyingggggg.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM
mustanggg07

I am going to remove the whole dash area tomorrow and try to tighten some screws and stuff around that ac vent, i will keep you guys updated if it stops!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM
mustanggg07

Hey guys! I found a fix for this. I just tightened some screws around that ac area, and wd40'd the side of the ac vent, just a little bit. Took it for a drive and didn't hear any rattling out of that vent, and i went down a bumpy road to, but i did notice now my very right ac vent rattles! haha.
so what i did was open the arm rest cover and remove the 2 screws that hold it down, pop the whole cup holder tray up and than remove the center console trim, once those are gone, lower your steering wheel all the way down and pop out the trim around the dash area, take your ac billet out, than look under the steering wheel near the footwell area and you will see 2 small screws, take those out, and pull down that area, tighten all the screws in that area ( i tightened 4 screws all together ) than reassemble everything back together! that rattling should be gone.

Quick Reply: AC Vent Rattle