Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible buy on a 06 GT Deluxe Convertible questions

Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 AM
xtremecruiser

Question Possible buy on a 06 GT Deluxe Convertible questions

I have found a nice 06 Mustang Convertible 2dr Conv GT Deluxe Convertible w GT S197 108k miles for about 12K at a dealership i have bough from before, do I need to worry about the mileage ? What are the key points to look for ? Car is really clean and runs great.
I have searched the forums and have found contradicting info on the S197. Had a 1985 GT vert back in the day and really loved that car.
Thanks in advance
Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

The 4.6L GT motors are practically bullet-proof if left in stock form. They run 200K+ miles no problem. You didn't say what kind of Transmission, manual or auto?

Like any used car you want to check out bushings, ball joints, shocks and springs. Most of your suspension components would be worn out on a vehicle with 100K miles no matter how good the maintenance was. Also, since it is a convertible check out the seals and rubber around the doors, windows, roof. You don't want to find out that the car becomes a swimming pool when it rains.

Being that it is a mustang, have any mods been done to it? Exhaust, intake, etc?

Looking at the price, that is within the right range, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable paying $12k for a convertible with 100k miles. I never owned a S197 from '05-'09, but mechanically they are sound cars.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:25 PM
xtremecruiser

It's a 5 speed, the miles do worry me
Old 04-18-2013, 02:08 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

It's a 5 speed
That brings up another point. Does the car have service records for a new clutch and flywheel? It is not uncommon for the clutch to last beyond 100k miles, but it won't be long before it needs to be replaced. This along with rubber and suspension are all normal wear components. Don't get me wrong, it is most likely a very sound car. Its just that all of these things will cost $$ (Nothing compared to BMW replacement parts) and time to replace. If you have both and don't mind the projects when the time comes to replace them then I say go for it. But if you don't want the hassle, look at something with lower mileage. They are out there!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 AM
xtremecruiser

That is a question I will ask, its nice a pretty but the miles bother me. I will just keep looking and gathering more info and looking for a buyers check list

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
That brings up another point. Does the car have service records for a new clutch and flywheel? It is not uncommon for the clutch to last beyond 100k miles, but it won't be long before it needs to be replaced. This along with rubber and suspension are all normal wear components. Don't get me wrong, it is most likely a very sound car. Its just that all of these things will cost $$ (Nothing compared to BMW replacement parts) and time to replace. If you have both and don't mind the projects when the time comes to replace them then I say go for it. But if you don't want the hassle, look at something with lower mileage. They are out there!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Open the access panel in the front passenger kick panel to gain access to the Smart Junction Box to perform a visual. The 05's thru 07's and even some 08's have a chronic water leak which drips down the SJB and eventually causes all sorts of electrical gremlins. I'm not sure what the % of affected vehicles is but I'd take a stab at 10-20%. There's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on it and it can be a real show stopper if not fixed.

You didn't mention a price. An '06 GT in decent shape should be had for $11k - $14k. Add a bit for being a convertible. With the mileage you state, I wouldn't pay over $13k; $14k if you "absolutely gotta have it".
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 PM
xtremecruiser

Originally Posted by Nuke
Open the access panel in the front passenger kick panel to gain access to the Smart Junction Box to perform a visual. The 05's thru 07's and even some 08's have a chronic water leak which drips down the SJB and eventually causes all sorts of electrical gremlins. I'm not sure what the % of affected vehicles is but I'd take a stab at 10-20%. There's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on it and it can be a real show stopper if not fixed.

You didn't mention a price. An '06 GT in decent shape should be had for $11k - $14k. Add a bit for being a convertible. With the mileage you state, I wouldn't pay over $13k; $14k if you "absolutely gotta have it".
Thanks for the tip
Its a 2006 with 100k miles asking is 138k,but I can get it for 11k,which I still think is kinda high
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

if the mileage bothers you, or you plan to keep it awhile, then dont impulse buy because you want it so bad. wait until the "right" car hits you inside. im sure youll know when that is. that being said, these motors really do last a while.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xtremecruiser
Thanks for the tip
Its a 2006 with 100k miles asking is 138k,but I can get it for 11k,which I still think is kinda high
If you can get it for $11k and it checks out, buy it and run. $11k for an '06 is fair but I understand that convertibles (for those that like rag tops) carry a higher price.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

The only issue I have had with my '06 4.6 is the two piece spark plug/carbon buildup issue. Make sure the spark plugs have been changed out and the throttle body is cleaned. I have not had the water issues, but many owners have. I have 95k and no other problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible buy on a 06 GT Deluxe Convertible questions