Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Speed - v6 - Which Gear ? 3.55, 3.73 or 4.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Cool.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
Wow, you really don't like the newer V6 do you? I keep seeing posts from you lacking any citation and really coming down on them. Is it because spec for spec, it is equal to your 'manly' V8?
The 3.7 is leaps and bounds better than the prior 4.0 and I applaud Ford for it. I bought my wife a 4.0 and wish she had the 3.7

There are plenty of reports of the V6 making it to 150MPH with a new driveshaft and a tune. Even the video above shows the car going nearly 140MPH before catastrophic failure...
I don't recall seeing anyone that claims they've hit 150 MPH on the 3.7 with a new DS and a tune. I'd like to see that and hope it IS possible, although I personally doubt it.

However, this time, unlike the last time I proved you wrong, I am not going to bother citing my sources. Since you won't bother to read them and you will continue thinking the 3.7 V6 is a much inferior car....
I suppose Alzheimer's has it's place here or I found the prior matter that you speak of to have so little merit that I've dismissed it. However, I ask you, which would you choose: a stock 3.7 or a stock 4.6 for overall performance (and don't bother answering because you'll stupidly pick the 3.7 in order to make YOUR point without any tribute to all the data that points to the 4.6)?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I suppose Alzheimer's has it's place here or I found the prior matter that you speak of to have so little merit that I've dismissed it. However, I ask you, which would you choose: a stock 3.7 or a stock 4.6 for overall performance (and don't bother answering because you'll stupidly pick the 3.7 in order to make YOUR point without any tribute to all the data that points to the 4.6)?
It was one of the multiple "Should I buy the V8 or V6" threads where the OP never specified his reasons or came back to update.

If I had to buy one for the performance aspect, the 4.6 would win hands down. Not only for the V8 sound when modified, but the amount of aftermarket. And after all, I am old school, and there is no replacement for displacement.

If I had to pick one for out of the box daily driver duty, well, my wallet already voted so to speak. Similar specs all across the board and improved mileage? I brought her home. At the time, the choice was a the V6 or a $10k premium for the V8 with poorer fuel economy. I commute 70+ miles a day. The economy made the decision.

Plus I already have V8s to play with. The Mustang was a driver, not a toy.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Well, I apologize for coming back confrontational in some respects above. I have no experience with the 3.7 but plenty with the 4.0. I find the 4.0 quite lacking and simply assume that the 3.7 falls somewhere in between the 2; albeit on the high side towards the 4.6. As far as economy, when I drive both under equal and repetitive conditions, my 4.6 gets about 1-2 MPG less than my wife's 4.0. I know the 3.7 is more miserly than the 4.0 but I can't help but dis the 3.7 unless I see HUGE fuel mileage gains over the 4.6 to suite MY fancy (sorry, but my opinion...).

Sorry for going on a tangent, OP...
Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 PM
hurricaneduc
1st Gear Member

I have a 2012 3.7 and really like the get up and go of it. So far I tuned it put a Sam Strano suspension package on it and changed the wheels to 18" and staggard. The handling greatly improved! The next thing is the driveshaft (ordered April 2nd and on its way here, don't ask long story) and changing the gearing to 3.55. I'm getting a new tune from American Muscle to eliminate the speed limiter and compensate for the new 3.55. I have to tell American Muscle that I have an aluminum driveshaft before they would send me the tune that would eliminate the speed limiter. After all this its track time, there's a track called Willow Springs with a nice long straight.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 AM
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

I haven't hit 150, but I've been at 145 a couple times

I still have the stock driveshaft. I have been looking several times at changing it, but I'm not willing to pay 500+ for it unfortunately.

It didn't break. yet. haha

thanks GTVert for the max speed. I'll have a look.

To answer a question asked: Rims are 20x10/8.5m, tires are michelin ps2 285/30/20 & 255/35/20

Would upgrading the gear make the possible break in driveshaft happen at lower speed ?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cariacou

I still have the stock driveshaft. I have been looking several times at changing it, but I'm not willing to pay 500+ for it unfortunately.

It didn't break. yet. haha

thanks GTVert for the max speed. I'll have a look.

To answer a question asked: Rims are 20x10/8.5m, tires are michelin ps2 285/30/20 & 255/35/20

Would upgrading the gear make the possible break in driveshaft happen at lower speed ?
If it is gonna break at X RPM, yes, as the lower gear would cause that RPM to come sooner.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Cariacou, what transmission and rear end do you have now?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

You'll never top out with 4.10s until you get some serious HP under your hood. It'd be fun to try though, just on a track with an ambulance standing by. I watched the video on the Mustang top speed attempt on the salt flats, whoah it goes wrong quick!
I've driven my neighbor's '13 V6 and it's fairly quick...just doesn't throw me back in the seat like my 4.6L can. And my 4.6L feels like a tiny little 4cyl compared to when I drove Blacksmoke's GT500. It all boils down to what kind of car you want to spend $30k on.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Cariacou, what transmission and rear end do you have now?
I have the 2011 v6 automatic stock options, so I believe 2.7x

Quick Reply: Top Speed - v6 - Which Gear ? 3.55, 3.73 or 4.1