Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does gasoline lose octane over time? (Tune related)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Mods please dont shut this down it is highly entertaining

Matthew
Old 05-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Weather Man
What exactly do you think a factory rep is going to tell you? That in the real world supply chain, their gas may be degraded? That is the definition of naive

The reason sleds are a good canary is that they are notoriously octane sensitive. The countless sleds that came into the shop I worked at who pumped what they thought was fresh gas and then promply burned down, is countless.

That none of the pilot jets plugged on your mach is nothing short of a miracle. You say you never cleaned the carbs of varnish on your sled? Varnish that forms as gas degrades in your carb.

You pompous little grammar *****.

The reason I take exception to your stabil comment is this.... Guy in a northern tier state pulls into the station in the fall for one last fill of 93. Only that 93 has been sitting awhile and is maybe 92. Parks the car, and in MN this winter, it is 6 months before it drives again. He read your remark and thinks I am good to go, no stabil for me, only now that gas maybe is 90 or 91. What does a guy do when he hasn't driven for 6 months? He warms the car up and takes a good hard pull on it. The stabiled guy goes on his way. The non-stabiled guy is sitting on the side road with a rod through his stock block wondering what happened.

In a perfect fresh gas world, your advice might be fine. The world is far from perfect, which is why stabil and like products exist and work. You have to remember that guys with no common sense read this stuff.
Your posts prove guys without common sense write stuff, too.

First, it isn't my advice. I told everyone where it came from.

Second the information is clearly for fresh gasoline.

One more time. The information I posted came from two industry sources. What part of gasoline has a shelf life of 12 months don't you understand? I did not write nor did the representatives of two major gasoline refiners say 6 month old gasoline is good for another 12 months. It's not 12 months from the date somebody reads my post.

I did not write nor did the representatives of two major gasoline refiners say anything about the shelf life of gasoline mixed with two stroke oil or anything else.

Your information is 100% anecdotal and your logic AWOL.

Since my Mach 1 has always started and run fine with last year's un-Sta-bil'ed gasoline for the past eight years, I'm off to the Vatican with a copy of this thread. Sainthood only requires two miracles and evidently I've got eight under my belt. Counting my lawn tractor, two stroke weed whacker and lawn mower I should be second only to Christ. Pretty soon it will be Saint Sonic Mustang.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-25-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang

One more time. The information I posted came from two industry sources. What part of gasoline has a shelf life of 12 months don't you understand? I did not write nor did the representatives of two major gasoline refiners say 6 month old gasoline is good for another 12 months. It's not 12 months from the date somebody reads my post.

I did not write nor did the representatives of two major gasoline refiners say anything about the shelf life of gasoline mixed with two stroke oil or anything else.

Sleds haven't had mixed fuel in the tank for quite some time. Your logic on not using fuel stabilizer when appropriate is the only thing AWOL.

Believing an industry source is laughable. Pinto owners were assured their cars were perfectly safe by Ford.

The bottom line is that the consumer has no idea how long the gas has been in the tank at the gas station before you pump it. This means stabilizing fuel in something that is being stored is a damn good idea.

Feel free to risk your own equipment. I'm trying to prevent a guy from damaging his equipment by reading your no stabil trash.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Hmmmm. Let me think about this. On hand there's the guy in charge of gasoline products at Conoco-Phillips. On the other, a loon from an internet forum who thinks aromatics is possessive.

Maybe I should believe him 'cause his Mustang has Hurst and 5.0 badges on the rear and he's got ricer taillights. He just may know his stuff!

Oh, dear. I just don't know who to believe!

Since you don't know how long gasoline has been sitting in the tank of your gasoline station, I trust you use Sta-bil with every fill up....

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-25-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Since my Mach 1 has always started and run fine with last year's un-Sta-bil'ed gasoline for the past eight years, I'm off to the Vatican with a copy of this thread. Sainthood only requires two miracles and evidently I've got eight under my belt. Counting my lawn tractor, two stroke weed whacker and lawn mower I should be second only to Christ. Pretty soon it will be Saint Sonic Mustang.
I laughted way more than I should have at this.

Matthew
Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
I laughted way more than I should have at this.

Matthew
With a name like Matthew, I don't doubt that at all.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

Hmmmm. Let me think about this. On hand there's the guy in charge of gasoline products at Conoco-Phillips. On the other, a loon from an internet forum who thinks aromatics is possessive.

Maybe I should believe him 'cause his Mustang has Hurst and 5.0 badges on the rear and he's got ricer taillights. He just may know his stuff!

Oh, dear. I just don't know who to believe!

Since you don't know how long gasoline has been sitting in the tank of your gasoline station, I trust you use Sta-bil with every fill up....
I stabil all my equipment that doesn't get used often. My lawnmower does get used alot and I don't stabil til the end of the year.

My car has a Hurst shifter and CHP 5.0 rotating assembly. The taillights...I ****ing love them.

I'm a retired AF MSgt...I don't think I know my stuff, I ****ing know I know my stuff.

I know when a regular guy reads this thread, especially anyone who has owned a carbed sled, will know who the jerkoff is. Mission accomplished.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm trying to decide if the OP has his answer...
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'm trying to decide if the OP has his answer...
The OP is the real trouble maker here. He's got a tuner and he's too lazy to swap in an 87 tune when winter hits and he's too lazy to burn through a tank of fuel in the Spring, refill with 93 and swap back to 93.

How much time and how many calories does ir take to swap a tune?

Here's my answer to the OP:

Get up off your ***, put your *** in the car, plug your tuner into the OBDII port and swap your tune and stop getting the rest of us into arguments.

And, unless you fill up with 6 month old gasoline, leaving the 93 octane tune in your car won't make any difference because even if the octane drops to 92 or 91 the tuner hasn't changed the programming that detects detonation and will dial back the timing.

Besides, unless your tank is totally dry, you've got a few gallons of 87 in it when you refill with 93 and swap to a 93 tune. So, that first tank of 93 is really 92 or 91 and your ECU been pulling back the timing on that 93 tune which makes it a total waste of time in the first place.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-25-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

When I loaded my 87 tune a few weeks ago along with my new CAI, it was the first time I've loaded a tune into my car. So, I haven't had the chance to be lazy about it once Winter comes... I was just curious about the gas losing octane after I have 93 in it.

I do appreciate the entertainment (and information) though. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Does gasoline lose octane over time? (Tune related)