Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver rear wheel sticks out further than passenger rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Hell...if you have any cop friends, ask them if they are buddies with the mechanics who maintain their cars. Cop cars have to get the frames straightened all of the time. Granted, its not a mustang but one of those guys might be able to eye ball it and tell you if it's f-d for a 6 pack for barley soda. Reality is, you're asking a bunch of us yahoo's on the Interweb to help you fix what is a very complicated issue. PS - this thread is worthless without pics.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:56 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

I have come to realize that my problem is little harder to diagnoise online. I would like to thanks again for those been patient and helpful with me this whole time. I do have pictures it's in the thread with a link.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:42 PM
95Bluestallion
1st Gear Member

Buy an adjustable pan hard bar, and set your axle to where it is centered. If the car drives straight and handles well, then forgot about it. I bet your PHB is bent, or they rewelded your panhard bar's mount a little crooked. Maybe the idiots at the body shop swapped your springs by mistake and lowered your car a slight amount (which wwould throw the axle off center with the stock panhard bar). Sounds like a stretch, but they had it apart, and dumber things have happened.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

So I did a quick measurement today on my car. It is a '12 GT. I measured from the frame rail to the outside edge of the brake rotor. I got 7-9/16" on passenger side and 7-3/4" on the driver side. That is completely stock, with no suspension or brake changes ever made to the car. Hopefully that gives you a comparison, and you are definitely right that it is farther out than when stock.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
So I did a quick measurement today on my car. It is a '12 GT. I measured from the frame rail to the outside edge of the brake rotor. I got 7-9/16" on passenger side and 7-3/4" on the driver side. That is completely stock, with no suspension or brake changes ever made to the car. Hopefully that gives you a comparison, and you are definitely right that it is farther out than when stock.
was your frame rail above your rotor?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang

That's the point I measure from, but on my car it is level with the brake rotor, so it's easy to measure.

I would find another car to measure before I worry myself to much. A new car maybe off by that much. Maybe someone on here could measure there's.
was your frame rail above your rotor?
I used the frame rail point that moosestang posted in this picture. From that rail to the brake rotor it is a straight measurement out towards the side of the car. I did it with the car on the ground so the suspension was at ride height.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

wth why is my motor under the frame rail?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:34 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by winkawak
wth why is my motor under the frame rail?
I think that you mean rotor? And without pics it is extremely difficult to help you. There is also no possible way to get your brake rotor underneath of that frame rail and have a car that runs and drives. If you look at the picture that moosestang posted, the brake rotor can be seen in the bottom right corner of the picture. The rotor does not have to be directly in line with the frame rail, if that is what you mean. Mine is probably not, maybe a little below the line of the frame rail. For the type of measurement that is being taken from that point on the frame rail it does not matter if it is perfectly in line. Just make sure that when you place your tape measure against the frame rail that you place it in the same location on each side.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Name:  94PvO.gif
Views: 23
Size:  1.95 MB
Old 05-28-2013, 01:41 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Kinda good news, I went to a reputable bodyshop today to have a look at my car. I told them about the accident and showed them the offset and the manager told me 3/4 of an inch offset might be normal due to Ford tolerance in the rear axle. Couple of minutes after he sends his top bodyshop mechanic and his boss to look underneath my car. Lol all 3 of them were underneath my car at the same time trying to see any damaged component. After ruling out couple of thing they came to a conclusion that panhard bar and bracket might be bent/shifted but not sure, they have to order one and see.

So they sent in a supplement sheet to my insurance company and now im just waiting for the reply. Also gave my insurance company a call earlier and notify them about the offset and they told me to fax them a supplement sheet from the bodyshop and if its related to the accident they will cover it.

Btw I did went back to my old bodyshop to get my 4 wheel alignment sheet and all numbers were green. My offset might be, just might be normal after all. Now i have to play the waiting game with the adjuster. Btw on my way to the shop i stopped by a gas station near by and saw a 13' grabber blue gt. Me and the car owner chatted for alittle while and i notice his rotor were also underneath the frame rail like mine so i dont know why moosestang how yours is leveled with with your rotor. I also took a quick look underneath his rear suspension and it looked different than mine.... cant remenber exactly but looks like he had more component than mine but he told me he has no mod.

Last edited by winkawak; 05-28-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Driver rear wheel sticks out further than passenger rear wheel