Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic & computer module problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM
kenmustang

Default Electronic & computer module problems?

I'm about to take delivery of my new 2014 V6. F&I guy is pushing Ford's extended warranty in light of the potential problems with the high tech electronics. Quoted $2211 for Premium Care package covering over 500 components for 7 years 48k miles. Mileage cap is ok since we don't drive that much. Do the high tech electronics have a history of problems or failure?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's all a ploy to get your money. If you're that worried about it, sock $2211 away in an interest bearing account. I'll lay big odds that you'll never touch that money. If you do, big deal. If you don't, you have $2211 plus whatever it earned when you "upgrade" to your next Stang.

I've owned well over a dozen vehicles; at least 9 of them new; and never once had a major problem that cost me more than $1000. As far as the electronics, chit happens and $2211 can pay for a LOT of chit to happen, more than what you'd expect to pay unless your car was a real lemon.

Give then $2211 and if nothing happens, you're out some hard earned cash.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:28 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by kenmustang
I'm about to take delivery of my new 2014 V6. F&I guy is pushing Ford's extended warranty in light of the potential problems with the high tech electronics. Quoted $2211 for Premium Care package covering over 500 components for 7 years 48k miles. Mileage cap is ok since we don't drive that much. Do the high tech electronics have a history of problems or failure?
Welcome and congrats, kenmustang! I’m not sure if you saw my other post, but my name is Deysha with Ford Service. The Ford ESPs are a great peace of mind to have. You should check out our Extended Service Plans and the Maintenance Plan we carry.

Deysha
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

I got the extended warranty on my 07 when I bought it new (I was 18 and dumb...), would never do it again. Waste of money. Like Nuke said, keeping that $2211 will cover a lot of crap in the rare case something were to happen, instead of just throwing the $ away.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:37 PM
kenmustang

To Deysha,
Yes I saw your other post. The Ford dealer F&I guy gave me the brochure explaining all the Ford extended warranty plans and what they cover. I did appreciate the fact he talked about this and gave me the brochure so I have plenty of time of review it before I do the final paperwork contract and take delivery of the car in a couple of days.

You're right, it's "peace of mind" ... and peace of mind comes at a price. To me an expensive price. In the years I've owned my '07 Mustang V6 (purchased new) I've only had one major problem. Throttle body module replacement $648 parts and labor. I would have lost a lot of money in the long run had I purchased a $2000+ extended warranty.

Still thinking about this one though before I take delivery.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Extended service plans are relatively cheap insurance, in my opinion. $2200/7yrs = $314/year. You’ll hear stories on both sides of the issue. Its almost as polarizing as the “Whats the best oil” threads. If you don’t know how to repair your car, don’t have the time or drive a ton of miles a year I would say you should get the service plan. Its really not the cost of parts that get you in a repair, its the cost of the labor. It can add up pretty quickly. My dealer is over $100/hour. Highway robbery.

I got the extended service plan on my truck (9yr 120k miles) & harley (7 yr unlimited miles) when I bought them new. I’m glad I did. I do a lot of driving/riding (10k per year per vehicle), so the chances of a part wearing out is high for me. For example on the truck, I used the service plan to cover replacing the rear main seal, front drivers seat (after lumbar support popped), wheel bearing, ball joints, PCM and the entire rear differential (case, axle tubes, gears and all). All covered. On my bike I got the shift-shaft seal twice, main seal, head gasket, and the cases split to fix a leak. All told the service plans saved me over 10k. The rear main seal and rear diff on my truck & splitting the cases on my bike were the largest of them all. Rear main seal required the tranny to be pulled, replacing the diff is self explanatory and splitting the cases is basically rebuilding the motor.

I also don’t abuse my rides and keep them very well maintained, which is how I noticed all the problems I had the service plan fix. :-) Just sayin’...
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

To Deysha,
Yes I saw your other post. The Ford dealer F&I guy gave me the brochure explaining all the Ford extended warranty plans and what they cover. I did appreciate the fact he talked about this and gave me the brochure so I have plenty of time of review it before I do the final paperwork contract and take delivery of the car in a couple of days.

You're right, it's "peace of mind" ... and peace of mind comes at a price. To me an expensive price. In the years I've owned my '07 Mustang V6 (purchased new) I've only had one major problem. Throttle body module replacement $648 parts and labor. I would have lost a lot of money in the long run had I purchased a $2000+ extended warranty.

Thanks.
I understand, kenmustang. You can always contact our ESP Sales Department at 1-888-252-3899 for more info.

Deysha
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Petrock, I don't know how or what you're driving but I put about 20k/year on my DD just for work plus another 5k-10k on the same vehicle during non-work driving, including towing. Three suv's; 2 with over 200k on them plus my current one with over 85k miles. Even a $1000 extended plan on ANY of those 3 vehicles or any of my other 6 purchased-new vehicles that were driven in excess of 20k miles per year EVER needed service (other than preventative maint) that even came CLOSE to a $2000.00 tab. Maybe you're buying the wrong brand of vehicles or buying ones built on those "bad" days...
Old 06-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

To Deysha,

Thanks.
The only reason I had ESP on my previous Fords was because they guarantee a loaner car. To me that was worth it because I don't have time to waste trying to get a rental car and for most one or two overnight stays for service it's not covered by ANY dealer.

Like stated though, unless there is a service plan now included with the ESP I won't get it again. I've never had a major repair (or any short of a tranny or engine replacement) that paid for the service/warranty plans.