Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY : Plasi-Dip Emblems!

Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Default DIY : Plasi-Dip Emblems!

Decided to Start the inevitable blackout of the car, Kicked it off today with the emblems...Extremely Simple!

Before -

Protection -

After ! -

Now I Will Say, Peeling off the tape, I didn't cut with a sharp enough blade and a slight amount of the Plasti-Dip Pulled up, but it was so simple that I'll just redo it correctly when this Dip Peels off!

7.99$ For a Can of Plasti-Dip
4.99$ For Painters Tape
Free Newspapers

Half the price of buying them from AM and they don't look half bad!

Last edited by FivePointToTheOh; 07-06-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

looks really good, nice job!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
redrader26
1st Gear Member

Looks great! I might be a little biased because we share the same style in color and model I also did my back emblem (leaving the GT part chrome) and my exhaust tips.

They greatness of this stuff is you don't need to tape that close to your emblems. It works better when you have a inch or so gap from your taped off area to your emblems. Just pulls right off and makes a clean seperation from your emblems. Very cool stuff.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

I was considering doing the back emblem, hadn't thought of exhaust tips, didn't know it would stand up to the temps cool idea! Mind sharing some pictures?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 PM
redrader26
1st Gear Member

I was a little concerned as well about the temp but what I read it is good over 200 degrees. The tips don't get that hot.

Not the best pics but a few quick ones of the exhaust tips

Name:  exhaust_zpsce214278.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  exhaust1_zps7d93c945.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  55.2 KB
Old 07-09-2013, 12:32 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Okay, I'm getting more and more curious every time I see Plastidip threads, but I've never dealt with it at all. How durable is Plastidip really? I mean, I know it will probably come off in time, but does it at least hold up decent for a while? If I do emblems in black like you did, am I going to start wiping it away with my constant washes? I don't wash with a brush or anything, but I don't want to have to touch them up every month or two. Also, when it does come off does it affect the previous finish of whatever you used it on, or does it come off clean?

I may want to do my GT emblems and possibly the chrome ring on the trunk lid emblem if it's durable enough and won't damage the parts if I want to go back at some point.

Last edited by AJ06GT; 07-09-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 PM
redrader26
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
Okay, I'm getting more and more curious every time I see Plastidip threads, but I've never dealt with it at all. How durable is Plastidip really? I mean, I know it will probably come off in time, but does it at least hold up decent for a while? If I do emblems in black like you did, am I going to start wiping it away with my constant washes? I don't wash with a brush or anything, but I don't want to have to touch them up every month or two. Also, when it does come off does it affect the previous finish of whatever you used it on, or does it come off clean?

I may want to do my GT emblems and possibly the chrome ring on the trunk lid emblem if it's durable enough and won't damage the parts if I want to go back at some point.
I had my emblems done on my previous mustang for over a year and they still looked just like the day I did them (numerous car washes). I have had my current emblems done for about 9 months and I just took it off cause I was trying the red plastidip. My finish on the emblems looked just like the day I got it. I know if you are trying to take it off and you have had it on there for a long time, it is a good idea to put a few new coats on it first. This will help it still peel off.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Hmm... seems simple enough. Can't hurt to try it I guess, though if I do charcoal wheels I may try to match them.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT

I have done my rims, 5.0 emblems, and rear GT emblem with plasti-dip. It has held up really well for 3 months now. It is fun stuff to play around with and will not just wipe away once it is dry. I have washed my car many times since I put it on with no issues. I will post up some new pics of it hopefully later this week, I get compliments all of the time with everything blacked out.

OP, looks great! I like the way you left the 'point' red.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Some pics of my black out project...

All that I have left is to do exhaust tips and pony emblem on front.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY : Plasi-Dip Emblems!