Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seat delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear seat delete

I only drive my car on the weekends, and its normally just me, i never bus people around, so i pretty much never use the rear seats. I am thinking about doing that but not sure how much weight does it reduce and is it really worth it? I read somewhere that it only reduces about 40 pounds, if so then its not worth it.

anyone here done that before? and was it worth the weight reduction
Old 08-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

If it actually did reduce the weight by 40 pounds it WOULD be worth it, my back seat is out of my car right now for a roll cage install, and the seat can't weigh any more than 25 pounds if that. The seat delete kits I've seen are POS that weigh more than the seat.
Attached Thumbnails Rear seat delete-img_0088edited.jpg  

Last edited by Flat out; 08-19-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've also heard about 40# weight reduction and I also find that hard to believe after installation of the delete components. But ANY reduction would be worth it providing you're doing other weight loss mods. Just like nickle and dime power adders, weight reduction will eventually add up (or down, so to speak).
Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Forty pounds sounds very worth it to me. As Nuke said, every little bit adds up. I am also interested in a rear seat delete (preferably carbon fiber), so keep us updated on what you decide to do!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM
yourmove
1st Gear Member

Do this one here -

http://www.trucarbon.net/2005_2013_M...c010-lg123.htm
Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmove
Looks cool, but I guarantee you will add weight to the car, what I would like to see is a vacuum molded carpet kit with a trunk access door. It would be fine for me and would save some weight.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Back seat is more like 20, if even that. I've had it completely out for to install my amps and wiring. Not sure where they got 40 from.
Last time I saw it was $150 for the kit...you'll lose more weight for free by taking out your spare tire/jack. Or just drive with half a tank of gas.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura
I only drive my car on the weekends, and its normally just me, i never bus people around, so i pretty much never use the rear seats. I am thinking about doing that but not sure how much weight does it reduce and is it really worth it? I read somewhere that it only reduces about 40 pounds, if so then its not worth it.

anyone here done that before? and was it worth the weight reduction
Thought about this myself.

it is not worth it. not even close. you'll have a plastic piece of garbage back there. you will no longer be able to carry passengers, and there's always a random situation where you will want to put a person or 2 back there. also you'll save like 30lbs max. thats hardly any difference. there are much better ways to save weight: engine components, carbon fiber exterior panels, lighter wheels, gas tank, spare tire, etc...

and the link posted above leaves an open pathway to the trunk, and im pretty sure that would make the interior crazy loud, and i likes my interior quiet and cozy.

not hating, just dont want to see you waste time or effort.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Back seat is more like 20, if even that. I've had it completely out for to install my amps and wiring. Not sure where they got 40 from.
Last time I saw it was $150 for the kit...you'll lose more weight for free by taking out your spare tire/jack. Or just drive with half a tank of gas.
That's what I did/do.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

well damn, i did take out my spare tire and jack and they together felt like 40 pounds or so. As far as having to take someone with me in the back seat, i just imagine if i had a sports car with 2 seats. I will also have an excuse to tell people to **** off and not ride in my car :P. I need to look more into it, but the cheap kits seem to add weight like you guys mentioned.

Quick Reply: Rear seat delete