Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 v6 rough idle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:16 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RLM1412
It did not do this upon first purchasing it. It does it more so when the AC is on but I know the difference between the AC compressor cycling and my car shuddering as if it were going to stall. Also, while idling I can feel my car idling rough through my hand on the steering wheel and also through my seat. Sooo frustrating that I am being told there's nothing wrong when there clearly is. Like I said this issue didn't start until about 25,000 miles into me owning it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in figuring out what's going on.
does the shuddering tend to occur AFTER refueling the vehicle? my v6 always had weird idling issues after refueling. i'm not totally sure why. put a tank of premium fuel in there and see if it helps. if not, then oh well.

you can try and PM the rep (posted a few posts above). whether that leads to any kind of an outcome i can't say. worth a shot. you also might try taking to a different dealership service department. there's an absolutely garbage one near to me, but a great ford service department about an hour away. sometimes that makes the difference. good luck.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Phillip123
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
does the shuddering tend to occur AFTER refueling the vehicle? my v6 always had weird idling issues after refueling. i'm not totally sure why. put a tank of premium fuel in there and see if it helps. if not, then oh well.
Yeah same with my friend. He had high idling problems and premium fuel seemed to help a lot. But then after some time the high idling occurred even with the premium fuel.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:24 AM
RLM1412

Its constant through out a tank of gas. The car doesn't idle high. It just just has a 2 second shudder while idling as if it were a manual and about to stall between gears when your not giving it enough gas when shifting to the next higher gear. I have a service appointment at a different dealership an hour away in two weeks.
Thanks!!
Old 10-20-2015, 02:36 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

I have owned 5 mustangs through out my life both V6 and V8s all bought new and I have never encountered this problem. I bought a 2014 ford mustang v6 automatic off the show room floor in October of 2013. Around 25,000 miles my car has started to do the same thing. I sit in a lot of traffic on my work commute and my car will shudder as if it is going to stall on me when I am coming to a stop. It shudders everytime I am idling and every time that I come to a stop. I have taken it 3 times within 4 months to the same ford dealership as I am under an extended warranty. EVERY TIME that I take it in they tell me that there's nothing wrong with my car.
I have no idea what this shuddering is but I have sent a request to the higher powers at be at Ford. I purchased a brand new mustang which I love and IT NEEDS TO RUN LIKE A NEW CAR!
I know how Mustangs are suppose to run and I know about my car and this IS NOT NORMAL>

Does anyone know what this shuddering is?
You are more than likely seeing a different cause than the OP of this thread. His, as some have said, is more than likely the second or two it takes the idle air control to react to the a/c cycling on/off. The cooling fan itself has less effect because it is electric, not belt driven. The electric fan puts a bit more stress on the alternator causing it to drag a slight bit.

For YOU, because of hitting 25,000 miles, I would first check the throttle body for carbon build up and clean it regardless of what it looks like. Carbon can get into the passage way the IAC uses to keep a steady idle and throw a wrench on things a bit. Granted 25,000mi is a bit early for this to have accumulated enough to cause a problem. But I have seen more than a few strange things at my shop.
If that doesn't change things, perhaps cleaning off the MAF sensor. If you have thrown in a K&N type filter, the oil from it can coat the wire the MAF uses and throw off the reading.

Both these items have their own special cleaner. DO NOT USE ANYTHING other than the specified cleaners available for these. CDC is a brand sold through many parts stores that have those cleaners.

If neither of these makes a difference, than you have spent enough $$ and its something that would need further diagnosis under warranty. I know you have already said the dealer has told you nothing is wrong multiple times, so maybe the Ford rep that visits the site can lend a hand and see to it that they take a longer, closer look at the issue.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

This must be common because my 2014 does this also.

Never stalls and dips way low but it is noticeable.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:02 AM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

I have owned 5 mustangs through out my life both V6 and V8s all bought new and I have never encountered this problem. I bought a 2014 ford mustang v6 automatic off the show room floor in October of 2013. Around 25,000 miles my car has started to do the same thing. I sit in a lot of traffic on my work commute and my car will shudder as if it is going to stall on me when I am coming to a stop. It shudders everytime I am idling and every time that I come to a stop. I have taken it 3 times within 4 months to the same ford dealership as I am under an extended warranty. EVERY TIME that I take it in they tell me that there's nothing wrong with my car.
I have no idea what this shuddering is but I have sent a request to the higher powers at be at Ford. I purchased a brand new mustang which I love and IT NEEDS TO RUN LIKE A NEW CAR!
I know how Mustangs are suppose to run and I know about my car and this IS NOT NORMAL>

Does anyone know what this shuddering is?
I know this thread is old now but man... THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT MY CAR DOES AND HAS DONE SINCE I'VE OWNED IT - TO A TEE!!!

I have a 2012 V6 manual Premium Performance Package that I bought used 2 years ago from a reputable dealer here in Edmonton Alberta Canada (wasn't a Ford store) and ever since I've owned the car it has done this.

I have had 3 different Ford dealerships look at it (more than ONCE per dealership) and have been told there is nothing wrong, there's no codes, it's normal, it's because the A.C. Clutch AND / OR the fan is kicking on, it has to do with it being a ti vct engine, blah blah blah blah blah!!!

Damn it... I KNOW something isn't right!!!

I have even noticed that when my car DOES this "shudder" that the back lighting in my Speedo cluster FLICKERS as if there is an electrical problem... I have also noticed that I can create the shudder itself while idling and using ANY electrical components (Windows, rear defrost, heat, heated seats, etc) WHICH I HAVE SHOWN TO THE SHOP FOREMEN AT THE DEALERSHIPS) but still I am told that IT'S NORMAL...

Man... I live in Canada and drive my car year round and if I can't use my heater and rear defrost because it causes my car to shudder to the point of almost stalling THEN THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG!!!

Has ANYONE found a cure to this issue?

Please advise...
Old 10-30-2017, 09:43 AM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

Friendly bump...
Old 11-03-2017, 03:43 PM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yiannisthegreek
Friendly bump...
One more friendly bump...
Old 11-03-2017, 08:34 PM
cbdallas
1st Gear Member

Fuel injectors dirty?

Last edited by cbdallas; 11-03-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:51 AM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbdallas
Fuel injectors dirty?
Perhaps but I really doubt it since as I said it's been this way almost since the first day I got it 2 years ago and it's been in to the dealership many times to try and diagnose this specific problem.

If after being looked at by a bunch of "trained" Ford mechanics and for none of them to mention that it could be injector related, it would seriously surprise me if that's what the issue is.

Maybe it's worth throwing a can of seafoam in the tank just to see...

Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: 2014 v6 rough idle?