Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK Longtubes

Old 10-16-2013, 09:51 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Default BBK Longtubes

I am in the market for a set of longtubes and the two choices I have narrowed it down to are either BBK and their catted xpipe or ARH and their catted x.

I would just as soon have either one but I at some point plan on going FI (couple years) and I was wondering is the cheaper BBK set have metallic or ceramic core cats or does anyone know.

I know you usually get what you pay for but there is a decent amount of price difference.

Also can you all recommend a muffler system preferably catback to go along with LTs that sounds good. I have heard a few I think MAC sounds the best but I don't know where to start shopping. Also I was looking at pypes violators cause I don't want something that sounds to aggressive but still sounds good.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

ARH is the best set of headers you can get for our cars, there is no comparison. ARH are true long tube. BBK are not equal length and are really mid length and nowhere near the quality ARH are.

As for the cats, call ARH @ 1-855-443-2337 and ask.

I wouldn't even consider BBK if you're willing to shell out $1.5k for ARH. Maybe Kooks as a second choice but forget the BBK. I'd still choose Pypes over BBK, Pypes are clones of Kooks and are 304 stainless.

For exhaust, American Muscle has clips of all their choices on youtube.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:47 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BWfVA
I am in the market for a set of longtubes and the two choices I have narrowed it down to are either BBK and their catted xpipe or ARH and their catted x.

I would just as soon have either one but I at some point plan on going FI (couple years) and I was wondering is the cheaper BBK set have metallic or ceramic core cats or does anyone know.

I know you usually get what you pay for but there is a decent amount of price difference.

Also can you all recommend a muffler system preferably catback to go along with LTs that sounds good. I have heard a few I think MAC sounds the best but I don't know where to start shopping. Also I was looking at pypes violators cause I don't want something that sounds to aggressive but still sounds good.
Good questions! BBK is great if you don't want to spend a ton of money on a set of long tubes. Despite being inexpensive, they do make a great quality product that you can depend on. Getting a set of long tubes, you have to be concerned over three things. Price, fitment, and overall reliability. Some guys will throw in that Brand X makes this amount of power, and Brand Y makes this much power, but of course that's difficult to determine who really makes the most power, unless the you dyno test one car on one dyno with different types of long tubes, and from what I've seen, that hasn't been done yet.

As far as a recommendation for an exhaust system on top of that? My personal preference goes to the Borla S. Type, but with a set of long tubes, it's going to be decently loud. It's right where I like the volume of my exhaust, but it can be a little annoying for some guys. In that case, the Touring edition of Borla sounds fantastic.

For a lesser expensive option, I'd probably go with the Mangaflow Street Series Catback System:

BBK Performance Long Tube Headers for 2011+ Mustang GT

Magnaflow Street Series Catback Exhaust System for 2011+ Mustang GT

Hope that helps out! PM/Email or call me if you have any questions - 714.582.3330 extension 8002, or ask for Jurrian
Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have no personal experience with either but I've heard that BBK's are poor quality and fitment.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

BBK's are plain ol' carbon steel, hence the price difference. Yeah, the regular ones are chromed and they have ceramic, but they will eventually rust out. ARH's are stainless.

You have other options out there too...and one thing to consider if you think you will go FI is that most headers are 1 5/8" primaries, but a handful are 1 3/4" and they make more power with a supercharger. I only know of Kooks, Mac and Dynatech offering 1 3/4" primaries at the moment.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

BBK also has a 304 stainless option as well if you want higher quality steel to be used
Old 10-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
Some guys will throw in that Brand X makes this amount of power, and Brand Y makes this much power, but of course that's difficult to determine who really makes the most power, unless the you dyno test one car on one dyno with different types of long tubes, and from what I've seen, that hasn't been done yet.
For future reference to your customers, yes it has. http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...stang_headers/

Cheers!

edit: The car in the article has F/I so it fits well into what O.P. is asking.

Last edited by Ricardo; 10-16-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ricardo
For future reference to your customers, yes it has. http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...stang_headers/

Cheers!

Oh awesome. Never read that article before, good info!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo

Cheers!

And, as I was referencing, the Mac's were the only headers in that test with 1 3/4" primaries. So, food for thought.

Also I wasn't aware (or forgot) that BBK now had stainless headers. I've noticed more manufacturers that previously only had steel versions available are now also offering stainless.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

My BBK LTs fit fine and with the off road x, sound pretty decent. No leaks, I have no complaints...I installed them with a minimum of grief.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBK Longtubes